Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst 123456781429 ... LastLast
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: AI - 2008 Weekly picks and discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    I like Stripper David, Baby David, Irish Carly, and Syesha. I kind of like the Hippie guy too. Jason?

Now that I've named a maority of the top 12, I'll narrow it down.

My fav is Irish Carly. Number two is a toss up between the Davids. (Not the other one though! Grr...)
    There are three Davids! Archuleta, Hernandez, and the rocker David. I really like all three. Simon picking Archuleta will probably be a curse. Unfortunately.

I just can't figure out why I like Amanda Overmyer so much. I guess it's just because she's so, well, "out there".... Carly is cool. Love Syesha, too... Brooke is cool. Michael Johns is great when he picks the right tune... I really like all of them at this point. But that'll change. LOL!
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

I'm just so relieved that Luke Menard is gone. Good luck to him on broadway though.

I just don't understand how a rugged looking male have such a...

Well, I'm just glad he's gone. I was getting confused.

This should be an interesting battle this year. They are all great in their styles. It'll be fun to see who gets screwed with theme weeks. "Uh Amanda, I'm afraid you didn't perform that Disney song to my liking."

I can't believe how distinct they all are. I'm shocked that I can name around 8 of the 12, and I haven't watched it any more than past years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie181 View Post
    I hope Danny Noriega leaves tonight

and I hope Jason Castro, Amanda Overmyer, and Brooke White stay
    They did! Woot!

I was afraid Danny might turn into another Sanjaya (basically staying while better singers go home)

My faves Jason Castro, Amanda Overmyer, and Brooke White stayed, though, and I'm psyched about that!

Dry, I also like Amanda, too..but for me, it's more of personal taste. I like her type of voice

Amanda isn't staying long, though. Her voice is just too "unique" to try and adjust to the themes that they will throw at her.

It'll be fun to see who gets screwed with theme weeks. "Uh Amanda, I'm afraid you didn't perform that Disney song to my liking."
    Dry, I also like Amanda, too..but for me, it's more of personal taste. I like her type of voice

Amanda isn't staying long, though. Her voice is just too "unique" to try and adjust to the themes that they will throw at her.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

They did! Woot!

I was afraid Danny might turn into another Sanjaya (basically staying while better singers go home)

My faves Jason Castro, Amanda Overmyer, and Brooke White stayed, though, and I'm psyched about that!

Yeah, I totally agree about Amanda. She's at a huge disadvantage because of the format. Plus, a lot of people just don't like that style of singing. For her sake, I hope she's been around long enough to get noticed. I'd love to see her make it in the industry. Lord knows you don't have to win it. Actually, winning it hasn't meant much at all for some of the winners. A few of them don't even have recording deals now. But they can listen to Daughtry all day long.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I think they got it right except for Asia Iisha A'sya Asia'h.

Baby David's been my favorite so far, but Jason Castro is catching up quickly. I really like his style. Stripper David, I thought, was waaaayyyyy too nasally this week. Luke was about 3 decades too late. Danny Noriega's kind of attitude usually pisses me off, but he made me LOL a few times... "ish". I like Amanda, but I'm also a big Joplin fan.

I think this season's TAT contest is going to be difficult.

BTW, don't forget to get your Bonus Point Picks in before the first results show begins.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Okay! Before the Top 12 and contest get underway: WHO will be the winner? Who do you think is going to get eliminated first? Who deserves to go deep but won't? Who should be cut early but will make it farther than you think they should?

This season is fascinating, because the group is so diverse (thank god they got rid of group performances!). I'm not sure what to think as far as predictions go. I think there are a number of lovable characters whose style is to specific to make it all the way. The likes of David Cook, Jason Castro, Amanda Overmyer, and Brooke White will be eliminated after a round or two of an unflattering theme. One of them could make the top three, but I don't think it's possible for one of them to win.

Who will be the big voice that gets the boot? My vote is either David Hernandez or Ramiele Malubay. I think they both have the talent to make the top four, but neither will make the top six. Look for one to be eliminated in the first three weeks.

Who goes home early? The two most likely candidates are Kristy Lee Cook and Chikezie, the two who barely made the top 12. Depending on the theme, one of the 'distinct' four could disappoint.

My top four: David Archuleta, Carly Smithson, Michael Johns, Syesha Mercado

There's no way they will all be in the top four, but I think one of them will be the winner. The favorite is definitely David Archuleta. Carly or Michael could win depending on how they handle the pressure and different themes. I almost put Michael in my 'distinct' group, but I think he can be versatile. I almost put Carly in my 'big voice who leaves early' group. I'm not sure if she'll appeal to the young crowd consistently, so she could be the shock upset of the season. Although with her voice, a 4th or 6th place finish would be a shock.

My order:

1 David Archuleta
    2 Carly Smithson
    3 Michael Johns
    4 Syesha Mercado
    5 David Cook
    6 Brooke White
    7 Jason Castro
    8 David Hernandez
    9 Amanda Overmyer
    10 Ramiele Malubay
    11 Kristy Lee Cook
    12 Chikezie

What's yours?

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Okay! Before the Top 12 and contest get underway: WHO will be the winner? Who do you think is going to get eliminated first? Who deserves to go deep but won't? Who should be cut early but will make it farther than you think they should?

This season is fascinating, because the group is so diverse (thank god they got rid of group performances!). I'm not sure what to think as far as predictions go. I think there are a number of lovable characters whose style is to specific to make it all the way. The likes of David Cook, Jason Castro, Amanda Overmyer, and Brooke White will be eliminated after a round or two of an unflattering theme. One of them could make the top three, but I don't think it's possible for one of them to win.

Who will be the big voice that gets the boot? My vote is either David Hernandez or Ramiele Malubay. I think they both have the talent to make the top four, but neither will make the top six. Look for one to be eliminated in the first three weeks.

Who goes home early? The two most likely candidates are Kristy Lee Cook and Chikezie, the two who barely made the top 12. Depending on the theme, one of the 'distinct' four could disappoint.

My top four: David Archuleta, Carly Smithson, Michael Johns, Syesha Mercado

There's no way they will all be in the top four, but I think one of them will be the winner. The favorite is definitely David Archuleta. Carly or Michael could win depending on how they handle the pressure and different themes. I almost put Michael in my 'distinct' group, but I think he can be versatile. I almost put Carly in my 'big voice who leaves early' group. I'm not sure if she'll appeal to the young crowd consistently, so she could be the shock upset of the season. Although with her voice, a 4th or 6th place finish would be a shock.

My order:

1 David Archuleta
    2 Carly Smithson
    3 Michael Johns
    4 Syesha Mercado
    5 David Cook
    6 Brooke White
    7 Jason Castro
    8 David Hernandez
    9 Amanda Overmyer
    10 Ramiele Malubay
    11 Kristy Lee Cook
    12 Chikezie

What's yours?
    I wouldn't even try to rank all 12, but I came to the same top 2 for the bonus part of Kirkus' contest. Just haven't posted them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Yeah, I totally agree about Amanda. She's at a huge disadvantage because of the format. Plus, a lot of people just don't like that style of singing. For her sake, I hope she's been around long enough to get noticed. I'd love to see her make it in the industry. Lord knows you don't have to win it. Actually, winning it hasn't meant much at all for some of the winners. A few of them don't even have recording deals now. But they can listen to Daughtry all day long.
    She has too distinctive a voice to win it, I think. Her voice isn't everyone's cup of tea, but that doesn't mean she doesn't have a great voice. She does. She's probably one of my top faves, but I don't think she'll make it too far
    Once they have a "Disney theme songs on crack" week, she'll be gone
    I'd love it, though, if she got some sort of record deal and released some stuff. Even if it doesn't get a lot of media attention, I'd totally buy her music

Charlie, I think it depends on what the first week's theme is (especially for the last one), but this is my order:

1 David Archuleta
    2 Carly Smithson
    3 David Cook
    4 Brooke White
    5 Michael Johns
    6 Syesha Mercado
    7 Jason Castro
    8 Ramiele Malubay
    9 Amanda Overmyer
    10 David Hernandez
    11 Chikezie
    12: Kristy Lee Cooke

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I could be wrong, and I should think about this more, but I think y'all are totally underestimating Kristy Lee Cooke... She's young, blonde, trying to find a country voice (sound familiar?)... Shame on y'all!

Of course, now that I posted this... She's a lock for next out.

I could be wrong, and I should think about this more, but I think y'all are totally underestimating Kristy Lee Cooke... She's young, blonde, trying to find a country voice (sound familiar?)... Shame on y'all!

Oh, she could be top 4, because of what you said, for sure. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part

Oh, she could be top 4, because of what you said, for sure. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part
    If I hadn't read a few opinions online or seen results shows I would have put her somewhere in the top six for sure. She could still get there.

I was basing it on how close she's come to being eliminated already, and that a number of fans (I usually miss the show, so I'll catch up on youtube and see some comments) are upset she's still around.

She could definitely make it far, though. I almost put her higher up. I guess she's just more vulnerable to an okay performance (David Archuleta, for example, could give two or three 'okay' performances without even being in the bottom three, I imagine).

All of my predictions are at a "plus or minus two" thing. I bet they'll be WAY off, because I think this year will be highly affected by themes. Fan favorites could shift at the drop of a hat (dime? needle?).

Interesting!!!!!!!

Itunes has all of the performances available for download. If you search 'american idol performance' they'll all come up.

What's so interesting is the popularity column. It'll tell you how many times each song has been downloaded relative to the others on the list.

Going by itunes (and probably somewhat skewed to the last performance, since this is a new thing), here is the ranking.

1. David Archuleta (by a MILE!)
    2. David Cook (really!?)
    3. Jason Castro
    4. Brooke White
    5. David Hernandez (who knew?)
    6. Carly Smithson
    7. Michael Johns
    8. Kristy Lee Cook
    9. Amanda Overmyer
    10. Ramiele Malubay
    11. Syesha Mercado (noooooo!)
    12. Chikezie

I should not that Jason Castro has two songs in the top eight (As does Booke White, and David A has two in the top four!). If you added those together, he would be number two over David Cook.

This scenario is highly plausible. I think Carly Smithson should get to number two, but it's likely that her finish won't live up to her potential (Kuznetsova, anyone?).

Surprises: That Jason Castro is so high (and Brooke White, to an extent). AI typically rewards belters, not musically intelligent softies. I was highly surprised that Michael Johns was only 7th, and stunned and saddened that Syesha was 11th.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Interesting!!!!!!!

Itunes has all of the performances available for download. If you search 'american idol performance' they'll all come up.

What's so interesting is the popularity column. It'll tell you how many times each song has been downloaded relative to the others on the list.

Going by itunes (and probably somewhat skewed to the last performance, since this is a new thing), here is the ranking.

1. David Archuleta (by a MILE!)
    2. David Cook (really!?)
    3. Jason Castro
    4. Brooke White
    5. David Hernandez (who knew?)
    6. Carly Smithson
    7. Michael Johns
    8. Kristy Lee Cook
    9. Amanda Overmyer
    10. Ramiele Malubay
    11. Syesha Mercado (noooooo!)
    12. Chikezie

I should not that Jason Castro has two songs in the top eight (As does Booke White, and David A has two in the top four!). If you added those together, he would be number two over David Cook.

This scenario is highly plausible. I think Carly Smithson should get to number two, but it's likely that her finish won't live up to her potential (Kuznetsova, anyone?).

Surprises: That Jason Castro is so high (and Brooke White, to an extent). AI typically rewards belters, not musically intelligent softies. I was highly surprised that Michael Johns was only 7th, and stunned and saddened that Syesha was 11th.
    Is David Cook the one who did Lionel Richie's "Hello" last week? If so, I could see why interest in him has soared. But, can he repeat that kind of performance again and again?

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I'm going with Kristy Lee Cook as the first one out.

Is the first results show Wednesday (tomorrow) night?

And yes, I'm fully aware that I just said a few days ago to watch out for her because she was young, blonde, pretty, talented, and working on the country thing... But I take that all back. I was clearly WRONG.

Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst 123456781429 ... LastLast