Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Apache1127

Bad Serve - Golfer's Elbow - Videos - HELP!

Short Background Story: I am right handed and I play right handed. However, I developed bad golfer's elbow (inner tennis elbow) about 9 months ago and like an idiot I played through it and hurt it to a point that it's chronic. The golfer's elbow DEFINITELY developed because of my serve. Because of this, I started serving with my left arm and tried to concentrate more on proper form so I wouldn't develop the injury again. However, after about a month of serving with my left arm, I am starting to feel the same "golfer's elbow" pain in my left arm now too.

I only really feel the pain when I start to serve the ball harder.

I have uploaded some videos on YouTube of me serving in slow motion. If any of you can check out the videos and offer some suggestions as to WHY the golfer's elbow is starting to affect my left arm I would be VERY appreciative. I know it has something to do with my form but I can't troubleshoot the problem. I would visit a pro, but I am living in Vietnam now and there is nobody available to help here.

Thanks in advance, here are the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpmApqxGF3w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftuGqJPTJ2Q

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Re: Bad Serve - Golfer's Elbow - Videos - HELP!

Apache1127, I don't have an answer, but I just wanted to let you know I moved the thread to the appropriate board.

And welcome to TAT! Hope someone can help you

Hiya Apache,

I am definitely not the best person to be giving service advice, but from watching the vids I'd suggest that you try making your arm a whole lot straighter in your serve. To do this you'll have to get your ball toss up a whole lot higher, which will also help you get some nice flat pop on your serves by coming over top of it.

My diagnosis is that your low ball toss is causing you to strain your arm to get your racquet low enough.

Hope that helps
    It's hard out here for a Zuz.

I'm definitely no expert either, but one thing I see is that you are bringing your back foot up ahead of your right foot (and foot faulting, BTW). Because you are bringing your back (left) foot up so far, by the time you get around to hitting the ball you've lost any energy from unwinding your body, and you're having to do all the work with your arm to generate any power. That may have something to do with your arm soreness.

Instead of bringing your back foot up so far, you might try moving it to up, but planting it behind your front foot and not to the side of it. This would help keep your body facing to the left side of the court. You want your body to open toward the service box as part of your arm swing, not opening before you swing your arm. Hope this makes sense.

I could identify with your swing because I am left-handed myself, and I also move my back foot up as I serve. I've been called for foot faults in tournaments because I let my back foot come up too far ahead, just as yours was doing in the videos. I really try to work on keeping my back foot behind the front foot when I serve, and I think it has helped me.

Good luck with your serve.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterX View Post
    I'm definitely no expert either, but one thing I see is that you are bringing your back foot up ahead of your right foot (and foot faulting, BTW). Because you are bringing your back (left) foot up so far, by the time you get around to hitting the ball you've lost any energy from unwinding your body, and you're having to do all the work with your arm to generate any power. That may have something to do with your arm soreness.

Instead of bringing your back foot up so far, you might try moving it to up, but planting it behind your front foot and not to the side of it. This would help keep your body facing to the left side of the court. You want your body to open toward the service box as part of your arm swing, not opening before you swing your arm. Hope this makes sense.

I could identify with your swing because I am left-handed myself, and I also move my back foot up as I serve. I've been called for foot faults in tournaments because I let my back foot come up too far ahead, just as yours was doing in the videos. I really try to work on keeping my back foot behind the front foot when I serve, and I think it has helped me.

Good luck with your serve.
    I think he said that he's right handed but had to start playing left handed because he had golfer's elbow in his right hand and now has it in his left as well.

Anyway I think you're right here. He's bringing up his back foot too far up, and that's causing him to rely too much on his arm for power.

oh, and I'm left-handed too! ALLEZ!

Apache1127

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it.

First let me say I am mighty impressed that you're able to switch hit like that. You must be ambidextrous.

Everyone gave you excellent advice but I'd like to add something I noticed. One of the reasons you may be muscling the ball is because of your toss. In one of the services I watched, the toss actually left your hand behind the baseline and if you had let it bounce I doubt it would've dropped inside the court. Your motion screams that you want to hit out on the ball but the toss is so overhead you're extending up and not out toward your opponent. Try tossing more in front of you so that if you were to let the ball land it'd bounce at least a foot inside the court. That way when your reach out to get it you can use the forward momentum of your body weight to help generate pace instead of stressing your poor little elbow to do most of the work.

Good luck and I hope your arm feels better!
    Last edited by Aton; 02-19-2008 at 08:51 PM.

Apache1127

Quote Originally Posted by Aton View Post
    First let me say I am mighty impressed that you're able to switch hit like that. You must be ambidextrous.

Everyone gave you excellent advice but I'd like to add something I noticed. One of the reasons you may be muscling the ball is because of your toss. In one of the services I watched, the toss actually left your hand behind the baseline and if you had let it bounce I doubt it would've dropped inside the court. Your motion screams that you want to hit out on the ball but the toss is so overhead you're extending up and not out toward your opponent. Try tossing more in front of you so that if you were to let the ball land it'd bounce at least a foot inside the court. That way when your reach out to get it you can use the forward momentum of your body weight to help generate pace instead of stressing your poor little elbow to do most of the work.

Good luck and I hope your arm feels better!
    Thanks a ton Aton, I will try getting higher and more in front. I focused today on rotating my body and relaxing my arm. I had very very slight pain. I think I need to wait a week or two to let everything fully heal.

Game Lover

Hi what you are saying about rotating your body and relaxing your arm are great things.

For my self, I'm still tweaking my serve and just yesterday I've made on last adjustement, giving up the high toss, for a lower one, that allows me to maintain the momentum going forward/up and continous movement of my arm...The rhytm.