Agree Agree:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Re: The Broadway/Theater Thread

OK. I know I'm forgetting lots and lots of stuff. This is written plays, not performances. And I'm not quite sure about the order.

1. The Visit by Friedrich Durenmatt
    2. The Yellow Boat by David Saar
    3. The Dinner Game (Le Diner de Cons) by Francis Weber
    4.Angels in America by Tony Kushner (who is very, very nice in person, btw)
    5. The Devil's Desciple and a lot of other stuff by George Bernard Shaw
    6.Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller
    7. Two Brothers by Mikhail Lermontov
    8. Rumors or Barefoot in the Park or anything by Neil Simon
    9. Much ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare
    10. This play I can't find by a French absurdist whose last name starts with "B," written in a made up language. I helped stage it in college and can't remember the name or the author It was hilarious.

Honorable mention to Ray Cooney for Out of Order and the couple of excerpts of some other of his stuff that I have read

I almost added Arsenic and Old Lace and/or 12 Angry Men but I've never read them and imagine it's not as good on paper as the films or on stage. Similarly with Moliere's Bourgeois Gentleman

I also love Tennessee Williams, but I can't really admit to liking any specific play that much. More like that his plays are really moving and stay with you.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    The only two on that list that I've read-seen are among my very favorites (Angels in America and Rumors)
    Laughing Wild is probably my favorite script--Christopher Durang is hilarious to me. The Ionesco play is the best staging I've ever seen--they performed it like it was a black and white movie. All the set pieces, costumes, and makeup were done in various shades of black, white, and gray. Very cool.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    Laughing Wild is probably my favorite script--Christopher Durang is hilarious to me. The Ionesco play is the best staging I've ever seen--they performed it like it was a black and white movie. All the set pieces, costumes, and makeup were done in various shades of black, white, and gray. Very cool.
    I think Ionesco is hella cool but he's way too out there for me to be a favorite.

I haven't read (or seen, I think) anything by Durang. I should!

1. Jack, or the Submission/Ionesco
    2. Laughing Wild/Durang
    3. Angels in America/Kushner
    4. The Skin of Our Teeth/Wilder
    5. Raised in Captivity/Silver
    6. Rumors/Simon
    7. Deathrap/Levin
    8. Beyond Therapy/Durang
    9. The Heidi Chronicles/Wasserstein
    10. The Search for Intelligent Life in the Universe/Wagner

Least faves

1. Greater Tuna
    2. Anything by Ibsen
    Deathtrap? Really?!?!? I thought that was a truly routine show.

Of course, I love Ibsen, too.

I also have always loved the songs from "Godspell."
    Last edited by nelslus; 02-06-2008 at 09:14 PM.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

4. Once Upon a Mattress (which is NOT the nelslus life story, contrary to popular opinion)
    You got that right, bucko. In the life story of BPDN, there sure as hell has been more than one upon THAT mattress.
    Last edited by nelslus; 02-06-2008 at 09:15 PM.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
    Deathtrap? Really?!?!? I thought that was a truly routine show.

Of course, I love Ibsen, too.

I also have always loved the songs from "Godspell."
    I love anything by Ira Levin. If I were to make a list of Top 10 books, The Stepford Wives would be on it.

I love anything by Ira Levin. If I were to make a list of Top 10 books, The Stepford Wives would be on it.
    There really IS a hell of a good movie that could be made from The Stepford Wives. Hasn't happened yet. (Mind you, we could come up with a HELL of a TAT cast for THAT one. With BPDN being the obvious choice for Paula Prentiss......Can't WAIT to see the fight over Tina Louise.....)

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

You got that right, bucko. In the life story of BPDN, there sure as hell has been more than one upon THAT mattress.
    How many blow-up significant others DO you have?

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Least faves

1. Greater Tuna
    2. Anything by Ibsen
    You didn't like Greater Tuna? You must not have folks from Texas/the South/the Midwest.

I felt like I was watching my crazy relatives from MO (who think they live in The South) all night, and was howling with laughter.

I've also seen the 2nd one (can't remember the title), and Tuna Christmas.

Did you see the original cast?

How many blow-up significant others DO you have?
    At least mine don't dump me, try as you might to deny this.

Alternate message: And mmmm8 should prove to be perfect casting as Richard Benjamin Peter Masterson (WELL, Richard Benjamin makes more sense.....) in the TAT version of Stepford Wives.
    Last edited by nelslus; 02-06-2008 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    You didn't like Greater Tuna? You must not have folks from Texas/the South/the Midwest.

I felt like I was watching my crazy relatives from MO (who think they live in The South) all night, and was howling with laughter.

The boyfriend's family is pure Dallas, but Greater Tuna still makes me pucker.

I didn't see the original cast, but I have seen countless productions of it, most of them in crappy dinner theaters. It's THE play to take a group of children on an extracurricular excursion, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post

I'll ask what the hell is Greater Tuna, if dry and salmon aren't in the room right now.....and/or why the hell anyone especially someone who's gay would go to see something called Greater Tuna.....and, who the hell was IN the "original cast" for this show.....
    Last edited by nelslus; 02-06-2008 at 09:51 PM.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I'll ask what the hell is Greater Tuna, if dry and salmon aren't in the room right now.....and/or why the hell anyone especially someone who's gay would go to see something called Greater Tuna.....and, who the hell was IN the "original cast" for this show.....
    I second the query. And also, JT, "dinner theaterS?" More than one? Why????????????????

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

http://www.greatertuna.com/

Fun little show, where 2 actors played all the residents of the 'third-smallest town in Texas'. They were built rather like Abbot and Costello, playing men, women, children.

Smut Snatchers

Judge's Funeral

I second the query. And also, JT, "dinner theaterS?" More than one? Why????????????????
    If you grew up in smalltown Minnesota, you'd take whatever "culture" you can get, even if it meant watching Greater Tuna at the Chanhassen Dinner Theater.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast