Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: The Broadway/Theater Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    You might like "Chess" then. Though it does feature an underlying US vs. Russia storyline.

Do you know the song "One Night In Bangkok"? It comes from the original score,. Murray Head perfroms it a little over the top on the popular version, but Phillip Casnoff, who did the role on Broadway also (and was on the original cast soundtrack) sings it with a sense of world weariness which is more fitting the lyrics.
    But Chess never ran very long, did it? One of the two times I was in NYC, I was hoping to see it, but it had already disappeared. (saw "Into the Woods", with Dick Cavett as the narrator) I don't imagine you'd have an opportunity to see it again now, 20 years later.

If you're not sure whether you know the song, Moose and bea did it for us last fall:

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum...?t=7587&page=6

I just discovered recently that Murray Head only does the spoken parts of the song; someone else sings the choruses.

Speaking of rock-based musicals, did anyone else see "Tommy"?

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I remember hearing about this musical. It's based on Bobby Fischer, right?

I didn't realize the music was Abba's not Weber's

Yes, its said that Bobby Fischer and Victor Korchnoi are the inspiration for Chess.

Quote Originally Posted by Martini4me View Post
    But Chess never ran very long, did it? One of the two times I was in NYC, I was hoping to see it, but it had already disappeared. (saw "Into the Woods", with Dick Cavett as the narrator) I don't imagine you'd have an opportunity to see it again now, 20 years later.
    Not in the US, Martini. It ran a few years in London on its initial run, and has been revived successfully a number of times. Rice thinks it is hands down his best work ever. Every so often you hear someone else talk about a Chess revival - I think its considered a Holy Grail for a producer to be the one who finally makes "Chess" work for an American audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Martini4me View Post
    I just discovered recently that Murray Head only does the spoken parts of the song; someone else sings the choruses.
    Never knew that! Funny, since I believe he does all his own singing on the "Jesus Christ Superstar" score. But as much fun as Head's version is, I think Casnoff's version is near perfect.
    Me and Flavia Pennetta, we got a thing going on

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Okay, found where I'd read that, on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Night_in_Bangkok

"The song is mainly a pop song, although at the time could have also been classed as belonging to the dance music genre. The choruses (variations on of the phrase "One night in Bangkok...") were sung by Swedish artist Anders Glenmark. The verses could be described as a spoken rap by Head, a sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek decrying of the city's moral corruption and glorifying the intellectual purity of chess (e.g.,,"the queens we use would not excite you")."

Inactive, & loving Jesus
    Awards Showcase

Ms.pacman New Champion, Pacman Champion, Cribbage Square Champion JTContinental's Avatar
    Blog Entries

OK, as a general rule, I hate musical theater, but I wouldn't be gay if I had seen a lot of them. I don't know if I have a top 10, but I bet I at least have a top 5.

1. Chicago (and even as a non-musical fan, seeing Bebe Neuwirth, Ann Reinking and Joel Grey on stage was very amazing)
    2. Into the Woods
    3. Rent
    4. Once Upon a Mattress (which is NOT the nelslus life story, contrary to popular opinion)
    5. Hairspray

I also have a bottom 5

1. Starlight Express (whoever told you it was amazing, Moose, lied. Also when I saw it, they got rid of the track that went out into the audience and replaced it with 3D movies. I dropped my 3D glasses on the floor about 10 seconds into the performance, and they slid all the way up the aisle, so spent the whole time just watching fuzzy movies)
    2. Stomp!
    3. Les Miserables
    4. Grease
    5. Godspell
    Welcome to my crazy game of fetch.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    OK, as a general rule, I hate musical theater, but I wouldn't be gay if I had seen a lot of them. I don't know if I have a top 10, but I bet I at least have a top 5.

1. Chicago (and even as a non-musical fan, seeing Bebe Neuwirth, Ann Reinking and Joel Grey on stage was very amazing)
    2. Into the Woods
    3. Rent
    4. Once Upon a Mattress (which is NOT the nelslus life story, contrary to popular opinion)
    5. Hairspray

I also have a bottom 5

1. Starlight Express (whoever told you it was amazing, Moose, lied. Also when I saw it, they got rid of the track that went out into the audience and replaced it with 3D movies. I dropped my 3D glasses on the floor about 10 seconds into the performance, and they slid all the way up the aisle, so spent the whole time just watching fuzzy movies)
    2. Stomp!
    3. Les Miserables
    4. Grease
    5. Godspell
    I've heard Godspell was awful. A friend of mine says that it's the worst she's ever seen.
    Last edited by Jay; 02-06-2008 at 10:13 AM.
    The artist formerly known as Jessie181

Director of Content
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Sure sign that musical is not at all for me.

Godspell is kind of good if you don't take it seriously, jessie

Blog Entries

I also have a bottom 5

2. Stomp!
    3. Les Miserables
    4. Grease
    5. Godspell

I absolutly loved Les Miserables. ( and actually I am going to see it again this fall when I go to London...)
    My number one is "Elisabeth" though. A German/Austrian musical about the life of the Empress Elisbeth "Sisi" of Austria.
    the rest of my top 5:

3.West Side Story
    4.Rent
    5.Phantom of the Opera

Anyone have a list of their favorite non-musical stage plays? Broadway or otherwise?

I'll have to think about mine.

Director of Content
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by craighickman View Post
    Anyone have a list of their favorite non-musical stage plays? Broadway or otherwise?

plays on paper or performances? Those would be two separate lists for me

Love it, Nelslus lists half the musicals ever produced, and I've only seen 6 of them in ANY incarnation, and only 3 of them on Broadway

Yeah, Chicago and Annie weren't big hits at all
    Chicago and Annie are NOT on the level of tourist-traps like Starlight Express, missy.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

I'm a Tennessee Williams guy through and through.
    It's hard out here for a Zuz.

Quote Originally Posted by oohsalmon View Post
    I'm a Tennessee Williams guy through and through.
    You are just DYING to dress up in Maggie the Cat's slip, aren't you?
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Inactive, & loving Jesus
    Awards Showcase

Ms.pacman New Champion, Pacman Champion, Cribbage Square Champion JTContinental's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1. Jack, or the Submission/Ionesco
    2. Laughing Wild/Durang
    3. Angels in America/Kushner
    4. The Skin of Our Teeth/Wilder
    5. Raised in Captivity/Silver
    6. Rumors/Simon
    7. Deathrap/Levin
    8. Beyond Therapy/Durang
    9. The Heidi Chronicles/Wasserstein
    10. The Search for Intelligent Life in the Universe/Wagner

Least faves

1. Greater Tuna
    2. Anything by Ibsen
    Welcome to my crazy game of fetch.

Director of Content
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

1. Jack, or the Submission/Ionesco
    2. Laughing Wild/Durang
    3. Angels in America/Kushner
    4. The Skin of Our Teeth/Wilder
    5. Raised in Captivity/Silver
    6. Rumors/Simon
    7. Deathrap/Levin
    8. Beyond Therapy/Durang
    9. The Heidi Chronicles/Wasserstein
    10. The Search for Intelligent Life in the Universe/Wagner

Least faves

1. Greater Tuna
    2. Anything by Ibsen

The only two on that list that I've read-seen are among my very favorites (Angels in America and Rumors)

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

plays on paper or performances? Those would be two separate lists for me

I've spent so long being obsessed with movies that I've haven't really had the chance to get into theater/plays. Most of the ones I've read and seen have been for various classes. It probably goes without saying, but I've seen some astoundingly good Shakespeare on the stage but to be honest, I've read maybe 10 of his plays and can't stand any of them on paper except for Macbeth, so I know what you mean.

Of the plays I've read, the ones I've really loved were:

12 Angry Men by Reginald Rose
    Angels in America by Kushner
    The Piano Lesson by August Wilson
    and of course Macbeth by whats-his-face.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast