Agree Agree:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Re: The Broadway/Theater Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Five years from now, you'll be able to buy High School Musical DVDs for a quarter at yard sales, Charlie. Just think of that next time you see him setting record ratings for cable.
    I'm more jealous of his devastating good looks, which will probably still be there in five years.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I have to admit to not having seen/heard that many (including both the above).

I think it's because:
    1) A lot of his other popular ones are about cats, or lions, or other stuff that doesn't interest me
    2) I like musicals with either jazz or rock musical base and he has a lot of more operatic ones. If I want an opera - I'll go see an opera
    Did you see "City of Angels"?

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craighickman View Post
    I did, and LOVED it. Though it seems to have completely died away. I liked the way they did the double casting and portrayed the gumshoe movie scenes.

and the "You Can Always Count On Me" number is a classic.

I'm one of a long line of good girls,
    Who choose the wrong guy to be sweet on,
    The girl with a face that says welcome,
    That men can wipe their feet on.
    I'm there when he calls me his trusted Girl Friday all right,
    But what good does it do me alone on a Saturday night?

If you need a gal to go without salary and work too hard,
    You can always count on me.
    The kind of gal who'd sneak you a file past the prison guard,
    Loyal to the Nth degree ...

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

No.

Okay, I'm being forced to rephrase. I love JCSS and Evita, and I really dislike Cats, Lion King, and Phantom of the Opera. Joseph and his technicolor clothing seemed blah.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Wait, I just looked this up and it's not Weber's.

guess I shouldn't have rephrased.

were you just suggesting it's something I'd like?

Wait, I just looked this up and it's not Weber's.

guess I shouldn't have rephrased.

were you just suggesting it's something I'd like?
    Yes. It's jazz based. I bolded jazz in your post.

I haven't seen it, but I like the music.

I said it before in the other thread, but my #1 is Evita, although the montage at the end is a terrible concept.
    It's hard out here for a Zuz.

A Chorus Line is probably my all-time favorite musical. WISH you all could have seen this show with the original cast, though. The current production just does not hold a candle to the original. (Still worth seeing, though.)

I loved Nicholas Nickleby. This show stands out for me, also. (And, it just ain't the same on video.)

To add to the list, in no particular order: Fences (James. Earl. Jones. & Mary. Alice.), Sweeney Todd (Angela Lansbury and Len Cariou), Jennifer Holiday in Dreamgirls, Tyne Daly in Gypsy, Maureen Stapleton in The Little Foxes (HEY, it was fun to see Liz in this, too), Raisin (with the AMAZING Virgina Capers), Black and Blue with Ruth Brown & Linda Hopkins, Pippin, seeing Katharine Hepburn twice on Broadway- and Liza twice too, for that matter, Candide, The Elephant Man with Philip Anglim and Carole Shelley (ALSO, I do a mean version of The Elephant Man, Broadway version), Evita (MUCH better on stage), Jim Dale in Scapino, Pirates of Penzance (Ronstadt can't act worth a damn, but, BOY, has she always been able to sing), John Cullum and Donna Theodore in Shenandoah, Ellen Burstyn and Charles Grodin in Same Time, Next Year, Lucie Arnaz and Robert Klein in They're Playing Our Song, Stepanie Mills in the Wiz, Sophisticated Ladies, Jerome Robbins Broadway, Chicago, Annie and Dorothy Loudon, I Love My Wife, For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When the Rainbow is Enuf, Lily Tomlin in The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life...., Dancin', On the Twentieth Century and Madeline Kahn, The Lion King, Children of a Lesser God, A Day in Hollywood/A Night at the Ukraine, Lauren Bacall in Woman of the Year, Torch Song Trilogy, Noises Off, The Piano Lesson and the incredible Charles S. Dutton, Morning's at Seven, The Mystery of Edwin Drood, my very first show on Broadway- Jesus Christ, Superstar, Linda Lavin in Broadway Bound, Into the Woods, Maggie Smith and Margaret Tyzak in Lettuce and Lovage, City of Angels, Mercedes Ruehl in Lost in Yonkers, Rent, Wicked, Vanessa Redgrave in The Year of Magical Thinking, Alan Rickman and Lindsay Duncan in Private Lives......(I rarely went to NYC in the 90's- and, while Baby BPDN has been the impetus for the last few years of annually going to NYC- tennis keeps us from getting to as much Broadway as I'd like- AND, what I've seen, hasn't stuck with me as much. Thus, why Spring Awakening and even Doubt don't make my list of absolute favorites.) (Still, obviously- I loves me my Broadway. )

I am also proud to say that I have never seen Cats, Phantom of the Opera, 42nd Street, Starlight Express, Grand Hotel....however, I did see Les Miz, so that negates my otherwise good taste in not seeing the big "hits." (OH, I also did see Miss Saigon in London. OOPS.)
    Last edited by nelslus; 02-05-2008 at 11:07 PM.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    I did, and LOVED it. Though it seems to have completely died away. I liked the way they did the double casting and portrayed the gumshoe movie scenes.

and the "You Can Always Count On Me" number is a classic.

I'm one of a long line of good girls,
    Who choose the wrong guy to be sweet on,
    The girl with a face that says welcome,
    That men can wipe their feet on.
    I'm there when he calls me his trusted Girl Friday all right,
    But what good does it do me alone on a Saturday night?

If you need a gal to go without salary and work too hard,
    You can always count on me.
    The kind of gal who'd sneak you a file past the prison guard,
    Loyal to the Nth degree ...
    I saw this show, too, Scotty. "City of Angels" is on my list. Wonderful, fun and atmospheric show- with terrific songs.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Love it, Nelslus lists half the musicals ever produced, and I've only seen 6 of them in ANY incarnation, and only 3 of them on Broadway

Yeah, Chicago and Annie weren't big hits at all

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    I'm more jealous of his devastating good looks, which will probably still be there in five years.
    Don't worry, like a lot of male child stars, he's going to age terribly .

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by oohsalmon View Post
    Don't worry, like a lot of male child stars, he's going to age terribly .
    Do you have a drug of choice picked out for Zackie?

Do you have a drug of choice picked out for Zackie?
    Midol and Kahlua.

It's gonna be whacked out .

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

2) I like musicals with either jazz or rock musical base and he has a lot of more operatic ones. If I want an opera - I'll go see an opera
    You might like "Chess" then. Though it does feature an underlying US vs. Russia storyline.

Do you know the song "One Night In Bangkok"? It comes from the original score,. Murray Head perfroms it a little over the top on the popular version, but Phillip Casnoff, who did the role on Broadway also (and was on the original cast soundtrack) sings it with a sense of world weariness which is more fitting the lyrics.

There is also a song called "I Know Him So Well" that comes from Chess, which was a hit for Whitney Houston, as a duet with her mom.

Rice wrote it with the guys from Abba (but don't hold that against it). I always thought it was a bit of a departure from his work with Sir Andrew Lloyd, because it was a great story as well as great music.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    You might like "Chess" then. Though it does feature an underlying US vs. Russia storyline.

Do you know the song "One Night In Bangkok"? It comes from the original score,. Murray Head perfroms it a little over the top on the popular version, but Phillip Casnoff, who did the role on Broadway also (and was on the original cast soundtrack) sings it with a sense of world weariness which is more fitting the lyrics.

There is also a song called "I Know Him So Well" that comes from Chess, which was a hit for Whitney Houston, as a duet with her mom.

Rice wrote it with the guys from Abba (but don't hold that against it). I always thought it was a bit of a departure from his work with Sir Andrew Lloyd, because it was a great story as well as great music.
    I remember hearing about this musical. It's based on Bobby Fischer, right?

I didn't realize the music was Abba's not Weber's

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast