Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Director of Content
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Re: The Broadway/Theater Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Ever seen Ethan Hawke's "Hamlet", M8? Curious of your opinion after reading this.

Nope, I haven't. In English, I've only seen the Kenneth Branagh version and the one with Patrick Stewart as Claudius

Inactive, & loving Jesus
    Awards Showcase

Cribbage Square Champion JTContinental's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The hubby and I went to see August: Osage County tonight with Estelle Parsons. She was great, and even though the production was uneven and a bit overly theatrical, it had a really good script.
    Welcome to my crazy game of fetch.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    The hubby and I went to see August: Osage County tonight with Estelle Parsons. She was great, and even though the production was uneven and a bit overly theatrical, it had a really good script.
    I have never been able to look at Estelle Parsons without immediately thinking of Blanche in "Bonnie and Clyde", and that shrill voice.
    Me and Flavia Pennetta, we got a thing going on

I have never been able to look at Estelle Parsons without immediately thinking of Blanche in "Bonnie and Clyde", and that shrill voice.
    LOL. And she basically reprised that role on Roseanne. Which, I always thought she was great.
    Blue Steel

Quote Originally Posted by jjnow View Post
    LOL. And she basically reprised that role on Roseanne. Which, I always thought she was great.
    She was wonderful in Bonnie and Clyde (which I definitely need to queue up on Netflix). Especially after she was blinded.

I don't think there was a bad performance in B&C. Or Roseanne, to be honest. Talk about a stellar sit-com cast.

WELL, folks, a few nights ago my man and I went to see a preview performance of "The Addams Family" with Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth.

Now, I should mention that I have never been to a preview performance of any show before (hey, there had to be SOMETHING that nelslus had never done before.....) AND, I know I have heard of shows that took some time pre-Broadway before finding themselves.

I should also point out that there were a number of cheers from the audience- especially the curtain call, when they blared out "The Addams Family" theme song.....

However.....

My TAT friends- this was dreadful. A huge problem with this show? Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth are absolutely dreadful. Completely uncomfortable and misguided performances. They talk throughout the show in these "comic" accents that do not work at all (Nathan's sounds like a bizarre Italian blend ) and are incredibly distracting. Bebe's singing voice sounds shot-to-hell- that horrible OVER-vibrato thing that aging performers can rely on too much. AND they have turned Morticia into a woman who spends the whole show whining about aging and that Gomez doesn't find her attractive anymore. There is not one good song in the show. There is a true desperation to this show- just throw EVERYTHING at that wall and see if anything sticks. Songs from ALL different genres. And, HEY, let's have a dance number for Morticia come-out-of-nowhere, because.....well, 'cause Bebe can dance (and still very well, to be fair.)

The +'s? A few chuckles. The actress who does Grandmama is funny and does OK. Some good "monster" moments. Very solid sets and designs- a lot of money is obviously going into this. There's one very cool- and actually pretty beautiful- scene with Uncle Fester, of all things.

Truly, though, I would have no clue what to tell these folks re: how to save this mess. Not much I'd keep.

Still- again, there were some cheers. I'd LIKE to think that this is due to the respect that Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth have earned. Rather than having to shriek from our 30th floor apartment, "And WHAT IN HELL AM I DOING LIVING IN THE MIDWEST AROUND FOLKS WHO ENJOY (OR FEEL OBLIGATED TO ACT LIKE THEY ENJOY) THIS KIND OF CHEAP, OBVIOUS, PATRONIZING AND CYNICAL CRAP?!?!?!?" In any case, again, maybe greater minds than mine can fix all of this. If you're gonna be out there on that stage anyways, with stars and big talents such as Nathan and Bebe who have proven themselves over and over again.......They all could at least try to have a hell of a lot more fun with all of this.

And watch this become a great big stinking hit, and so what the hell then do John and I know?!?!??! UGGGGGHHHHH.
    Last edited by nelslus; 11-27-2009 at 10:22 PM.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, BABY!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
    WELL, folks, a few nights ago my man and I went to see a preview performance of "The Addams Family" with Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth.

Now, I should mention that I have never been to a preview performance of any show before (hey, there had to be SOMETHING that nelslus had never done before.....) AND, I know I have heard of shows that took some time pre-Broadway before finding themselves.

I should also point out that there were a number of cheers from the audience- especially the curtain call, when they blared out "The Addams Family" theme song.....

However.....

My TAT friends- this was dreadful. A huge problem with this show? Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth are absolutely dreadful. Completely uncomfortable and misguided performances. They talk throughout the show in these "comic" accents that do not work at all (Nathan's sounds like a bizarre Italian blend ) and are incredibly distracting. Bebe's singing voice sounds shot-to-hell- that horrible OVER-vibrato thing that aging performers can rely on too much. AND they have turned Morticia into a woman who spends the whole show whining about aging and that Gomez doesn't find her attractive anymore. There is not one good song in the show. There is a true desperation to this show- just throw EVERYTHING at that wall and see if anything sticks. Songs from ALL different genres. And, HEY, let's have a dance number for Morticia come-out-of-nowhere, because.....well, 'cause Bebe can dance (and still very well, to be fair.)

The +'s? A few chuckles. The actress who does Grandmama is funny and does OK. Some good "monster" moments. Very solid sets and designs- a lot of money is obviously going into this. There's one very cool- and actually pretty beautiful- scene with Uncle Fester, of all things.

Truly, though, I would have no clue what to tell these folks re: how to save this mess. Not much I'd keep.

Still- again, there were some cheers. I'd LIKE to think that this is due to the respect that Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth have earned. Rather than having to shriek from our 30th floor apartment, "And WHAT IN HELL AM I DOING LIVING IN THE MIDWEST AROUND FOLKS WHO ENJOY (OR FEEL OBLIGATED TO ACT LIKE THEY ENJOY) THIS KIND OF CHEAP, OBVIOUS, PATRONIZING AND CYNICAL CRAP?!?!?!?" In any case, again, maybe greater minds than mine can fix all of this. If you're gonna be out there on that stage anyways, with stars and big talents such as Nathan and Bebe who have proven themselves over and over again.......They all could at least try to have a hell of a lot more fun with all of this.

And watch this become a great big stinking hit, and so what the hell then do John and I know?!?!??! UGGGGGHHHHH.

Forgot to add an example of the level of wit demonstrated in this show.

A wife to her husband (and shockingly enough, not Morticia to Gomez): "Well, if you're going to act like a tool, go sleep in the shed."

(AND this actually got a laugh in the Chicago audience. Albeit, nelslus didn't hear any follow-up "You go, Girl!"'s. )
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, BABY!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the preview, Nelslus.

When I first read about this show earlier this year, I thought - Nathan Lane/Bebe Neuwirth. Book my ticket today. This is about as dynamic a pairing as you can get.

I didn't even consider the possibility that it could be a bad musical.

Thanks for the preview, Nelslus.

When I first read about this show earlier this year, I thought - Nathan Lane/Bebe Neuwirth. Book my ticket today. This is about as dynamic a pairing as you can get.

I didn't even consider the possibility that it could be a bad musical.
    To be honest, Moose- I thought from the get-go that casting Nathan was a mistake. Especially as he gets shtickier and shtickier......Bebe's lousy performance was the HUGE shocker for me. I had thought that she was an excellent choice for Morticia.

We went to see "In the Heights" tonight. I saw this show on Broadway and loved it. I was pretty worried that this would suffer by comparison, as it's a bit early in its run in Chicago- and, most especially as the man who wrote the show, songs and lyrics, AND starred on Broadway- Lin-Manuel Miranda- is not in this cast. Couldn't help thinking that this show might suffer mightily without his inspiration.

Well, we loved the show. The guy who plays the lead here, Kyle Beltran, is terrific. The youth of this cast come off as considerably younger to me that the Broadway cast- and both versions work out just fine. There were more "star" performances in the Broadway cast, and the effects were bigger. Plus, for once, the Chicago version wasn't miked well enough. However, I think that perhaps the ensemble of the Chicago version may be even better. Incredible dancers and singers.

I do have to add that there were far too many empty seats. Not too many seats available at freakin' Addams Family. A Hispanic musical....Chicago.....sucks to figure out what the problem may be here. In any case, I truly hope that folks wake up and see this show. AND- if you get the chance to see this show- I can't recommend it highly enough. Not a perfect show- but very heartfelt, moving and beautifully done.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Looking forward to "In the Heights." I remember you talking about how much you loved it on Broadway.

More musical randomness ... this song popped into my head (well, just a line or two of the chorus) and I couldn't remember what show it's from. Wikipedia was no help. Thank goodness for YouTube. If you need a break from treacly Christmas carols, this might be just the ticket:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64O77DC3F4k

(not worth embedding, since there's nothing to see. And don't worry that it takes about 10 seconds to be able to hear anything.)
    Countdown of great Sue Sylvester quotes from Glee
    #6:
    "Get ready for the ride of your life Will Schuester. You're about to board the Sue Sylvester Express. Destination horror! "

Just read today..coming to Broadway, March 2011 - "Priscilla, Queen of The Desert - The Musical".

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Just read today..coming to Broadway, March 2011 - "Priscilla, Queen of The Desert - The Musical".
    OK, I TOTALLY just did what Kathy Griffin describes as "the gay inhale". And I swear my face looked like this:

Guess what we'll be seeing Labor Day weekend, 2011?
    Countdown of great Sue Sylvester quotes from Glee
    #6:
    "Get ready for the ride of your life Will Schuester. You're about to board the Sue Sylvester Express. Destination horror! "

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    OK, I TOTALLY just did what Kathy Griffin describes as "the gay inhale". And I swear my face looked like this:

Guess what we'll be seeing Labor Day weekend, 2011?
    I'm definitely in. That will be our third "movie with gay appeal turned into musical theater" experience.

Inactive, & loving Jesus
    Awards Showcase

Cribbage Square Champion JTContinental's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
    To be honest, Moose- I thought from the get-go that casting Nathan was a mistake. Especially as he gets shtickier and shtickier......Bebe's lousy performance was the HUGE shocker for me. I had thought that she was an excellent choice for Morticia.
    Will definitely skip this one, then. I don't have very many religious experiences when it comes to musical theater, but seeing Bebe Neuwirth in "Chicago" was one of them.
    Welcome to my crazy game of fetch.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast