Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Re: 20 Questions - 2008 Australian Open

Quote Originally Posted by oohsalmon View Post
    Yeah, I realize that's the correct pronunciation, but I can't disallow it for the people who put it, because I already said I'd let it stand.

Here's what I'll do: If Dementieva outlasts all the other 5+ syllable players (or ties them), the Dementieva pickers will get points, as will whoever has the second most wins.

Sound fair?
    That's fair. Who would think that we'd be arguing over name pronunciations! Shows you how TATers are really into your contests!

Where am I?
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

20 Questions - 2008 Australian Open

1. Who will be the champion:
    a. Men's Singles (1 point) Roger Federer
    b. Women's Singles (1 point) Justine Henin

2. Name a player who will lose in the fourth round of a singles draw. (2 points) Jarkko Nieminen

3. Name a chair umpire who will preside over one of the singles finals. (2 points) Sandra de Jenken lol Enric Molina

4. Bagels:
    a. Will there be more 6-0 sets in the men's or women's singles tournament? (1 point) Men's
    b. How many 6-0 sets will there be in the men's singles tournament? (Closest guess: 2 points) 21
    c. How many 6-0 sets will there be in the women's singles tournament? (Closest guess: 2 points) 19

5. Name a player who will have a photo of himself changing shirts posted on the Yahoo! Tennis Photo Wire during the tournament. (2 points) Fernando Gonzalez

6. Which country's players will win more total matches: Australia or Austria? (1 point) Austria

7. -enko party! Which of the following values will be the greatest (choose one of the three): (2 points) A
    a. Maria Kirilenko's win total + Julia Vakulenko's win total
    b. Alona Bondarenko's win total + Kateryna Bondarenko's win total
    c. Nikolay Davydenko's win total

8. Name a rematch of a match from Rome 2007 which will occur in the third round or later of a singles draw. (2 points) Chakvetadze vs. Hantuchova

9. Put the following clothing sponsors in order of the number of singles quarterfinalists they will represent, from most to fewest (do not denote ties--credit will be given): Adidas, Nike, Lacoste, Reebok, Other. (3 points) Adidas, Nike, Other, Reebok, Lacoste

10. Which player from each country or region will win the most singles matches?
    a. United States (2 points) Andy Roddick
    b. Russia (2 points) Svetlana Kuznetsova
    c. Serbia (2 points) Novak Djokovic
    d. Italy (2 points) Flavia Pennetta
    e. France (2 points) Mary Pierce Richard Gasquet
    f. Austria (2 points) Sybille Bammer
    g. Czechoslovakia (Czech Republic, Slovakia) (2 points) Nicole Vaidisova
    h. Former Soviet Republics (excluding Russia) (2 points) Alona Bondarenko
    i. Scandinavia (Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark) (2 points) Jarkko Nieminen
    j. Asia (including Israel, not including Russia or Cyprus) (2 points) Shahar Peer
    k. South America (2 points) David Nalbandian

11. Living in the Shadow:
    a. Which Spanish woman will win the most singles matches? (1 point) Anabel Medina Garrigues
    b. Which Belgian man will win the most singles matches? (1 point) Xavier Malisse

12. Winning behavior--Predict whether the following will be done by the men's champ, women's champ, both, or neither:
    a. Dropping their racquet (1 point) neither
    b. Falling to the ground/their knees (1 point) both
    c. Crying during the ceremony (1 point) neither
    d. Congratulating the runner-up's coach/entourage. (1 point) neither
    e. Thanking the sponsors by name (2 points) both

13. Will the women's singles champion be wearing earrings that hang down from her ears during her first match? (2 points) absolutely not

14. What is the deepest round an unseeded singles player will reach? (2 points) Quarterfinals

15. How many singles matches will be decided by retirement or walkover? (2 points) 8

16. Wild Cards:
    a. Which wild card entrant will make it deepest into a singles draw? (2 points) Alun Jones
    b. In the last round in which either is present, will there be a greater number of remaining wild cards or qualifiers? (1 point) Qualifiers

17. Who will have the most singles wins of all players with a family name consisting of...
    a. ...one syllable? (2 points) Li
    b. ...two syllables? (2 points) Henin
    c. ...three syllables? (2 points) Federer
    d. ...four syllables? (2 points) Kuznetsova
    e. ...five or more syllables? (2 points) Medina Garrigues

18. Name a player who will play two or more matches (singles and doubles) in Margaret Court Arena (1 point, and an extra point awarded for each match beyond the third) Venus Williams

19. How many of the six doubles champions will have been born in the Southern Hemisphere? (2 points) 0

20. Will the mixed doubles champions both hail from the same country? (1 point) No

Tiebreak: How many total sets will be played in the 127 men's singles matches combined? 460

The participation has been pretty awesome so far

Eight hours left, and we're only three people shy of a new record for 20 Questions
    Anyone who is thinking about playing should play.

And a reminder to those of you who filled out only some of the questions planning to come back to finish up, time is running out to complete them.
    It's hard out here for a Zuz.

7 hours left to get in / finish those entries

Oh, all right, I'll try it.

a. Men's Singles (1 point) Rafael Nadal
      b. Women's Singles (1 point) Venus Williams
    2. Name a player who will lose in the fourth round of a singles draw. (2 points) Tomas Berdych
    3. Name a chair umpire who will preside over one of the singles finals. (2 points) Allison Lang
    4. Bagels:
      a. Will there be more 6-0 sets in the men's or women's singles tournament? (1 point) men
      b. How many 6-0 sets will there be in the men's singles tournament? (Closest guess: 2 points) 13
      c. How many 6-0 sets will there be in the women's singles tournament? (Closest guess: 2 points) 12
    5. Name a player who will have a photo of himself changing shirts posted on the Yahoo! Tennis Photo Wire during the tournament. (2 points) Rafael Nadal
    6. Which country's players will win more total matches: Australia or Austria? (1 point) Australia
    7. -enko party! Which of the following values will be the greatest (choose one of the three): (2 points) c
    8. Name a rematch of a match from Rome 2007 which will occur in the third round or later of a singles draw. (2 points) Nadal/Djokovic
    9. Put the following clothing sponsors in order of the number of singles quarterfinalists they will represent, from most to fewest (do not denote ties--credit will be given): Adidas, Nike, Lacoste, Reebok, Other. (3 points) Adidas, Nike, Other, Reebok, Lacoste
      a. United States (2 points) Venus Williams
      b. Russia (2 points) Anna Chakvetadze
      c. Serbia (2 points) Novak Djokovic
      d. Italy (2 points) Maria Elena Camerin
      e. France (2 points) Amelie Mauresmo
      f. Austria (2 points) Sybille Bammer
      g. Czechoslovakia (Czech Republic, Slovakia) (2 points) Nicole Vaidisova
      h. Former Soviet Republics (excluding Russia) (2 points) Alona Bondarenko
      i. Scandinavia (Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark) (2 points) Jarkko Nieminen
      j. Asia (including Israel, not including Russia or Cyprus) (2 points) Shahar Peer
      k. South America (2 points) Fernando Gonzalez
      a. Which Spanish woman will win the most singles matches? (1 point) Anabel Medina Garrigues
      b. Which Belgian man will win the most singles matches? (1 point) Xavier Malisse
    12. Winning behavior--Predict whether the following will be done by the men's champ, women's champ, both, or neither:
      a. Dropping their racquet (1 point) men
      b. Falling to the ground/their knees (1 point) men
      c. Crying during the ceremony (1 point) neither
      d. Congratulating the runner-up's coach/entourage. (1 point) neither
      e. Thanking the sponsors by name (2 points) both
    13. Will the women's singles champion be wearing earrings that hang down from her ears during her first match? (2 points) no
    14. What is the deepest round an unseeded singles player will reach? (2 points) quarterfinals
    15. How many singles matches will be decided by retirement or walkover? (2 points) 9
    16. Wild Cards:
      a. Which wild card entrant will make it deepest into a singles draw? (2 points) Jessica Moore
      b. In the last round in which either is present, will there be a greater number of remaining wild cards or qualifiers? (1 point) qualifiers
    17. Who will have the most singles wins of all players with a family name consisting of...
      a. ...one syllable? (2 points) Na Li
      b. ...two syllables? (2 points) Venus Williams
      c. ...three syllables? (2 points) Roger Federer
      d. ...four syllables? (2 points) Anna Chakvetadze
      e. ...five or more syllables? (2 points) Anabel Medina Garrigues
    18. Name a player who will play two or more matches (singles and doubles) in Margaret Court Arena (1 point, and an extra point awarded for each match beyond the third) Nikolay Davydenko
    19. How many of the six doubles champions will have been born in the Southern Hemisphere? (2 points) 1
    20. Will the mixed doubles champions both hail from the same country? (1 point) no

Tiebreak: How many total sets will be played in the 127 men's singles matches combined? 476

LOL to both of us saying 476...

Remember when I said there were seven hours left six minutes ago? I lied. Six hours left, people

LOL to both of us saying 476...
    Hmm, did we use the same formula to calculate that?

Quote Originally Posted by carlitos2006 View Post
    Hmm, did we use the same formula to calculate that?
    I did 127*3.75

1. a. Roger Federer
    b. Venus Williams
    2. Golovin
    3. Alison Lang
    4. a. womenís
    b. 45
    c. 60
    5. Novak Djokovic
    6. Australia
    7. c
    8. Schnyder vs. S. Williams
    9. Nike, Adidas, Reebok, Lacoste
    10. a. Venus Williams
    b. Kuznetsova
    c. Djokovic/Ivanovic (tie)
    d. Schiavone
    e. Cornet
    f. Melzer/Bremond/Bammer (tie)
    g. Stepanek
    h. Azarenka
    i. Arvidsson/Nieminen (tie)
    j. Peer
    k. Nalbandian
    11. a. Medina Garrigues
    b. Rochus/Vliegen (tie)
    12. a. both
    b. menís
    c. neither
    d. both
    e. both
    13. yes
    14. QF
    15. 7
    16. a. Jones
    b. qualifiers
    17. a. Blake
    b. Williams
    c. Federer
    d. Davydenko
    e. Kudryavtseva (if that's not 5+ syllables, then Medina Garrigues)
    18. Davydenko
    19. 2
    20. No

TB 441

You don't need to put ties... Just pick which ever one you're most confident in and go with that. If, say, Djokovic and Ivanovic both are the last Serbs, losing in the quarterfinals, you would get credit for either answer.

As it is now, I'll take the ones you put first: Djokovic, Melzer, Arvidsson, and Rochus. If you want to change those, you can just edit your post

And thanks for playing

20 Questions - 2008 Australian Open

a. Men's Singles (1 point) Nadal
    b. Women's Singles (1 point)Kuznetsova
    2. Name a player who will lose in the fourth round of a singles draw. (2 points) Andreev
    3. Name a chair umpire who will preside over one of the singles finals. (2 points) Welch
    4. Bagels:
    a. Will there be more 6-0 sets in the men's or women's singles tournament? (1 point)Women
    b. How many 6-0 sets will there be in the men's singles tournament? (Closest guess: 2 points)2

c. How many 6-0 sets will there be in the women's singles tournament? (Closest guess: 2 points)3
    5. Name a player who will have a photo of himself changing shirts posted on the Yahoo! Tennis Photo Wire during the tournament. (2 points)Marat
    6. Which country's players will win more total matches: Australia or Austria? (1 point)Austria
    7. -enko party! Which of the following values will be the greatest (choose one of the three): (2 points)
    8. Name a rematch of a match from Rome 2007 which will occur in the third round or later of a singles draw. (2 points)Djokovic v. Baghdatis
    9. Put the following clothing sponsors in order of the number of singles quarterfinalists they will represent, from most to fewest (do not denote ties--credit will be given): Adidas, Nike, Lacoste, Reebok, Other. (3 points)
    Adidas, Nike, Other, Lacoste, Reebok
    a. United States (2 points) Roddick
    b. Russia (2 points) Kuznetsova
    c. Serbia (2 points)Ivanovic
    d. Italy (2 points) Pennetta
    e. France (2 points)Tsonga
    f. Austria (2 points)Paszeck
    g. Czechoslovakia (Czech Republic, Slovakia) (2 points)Vaidisova
    h. Former Soviet Republics (excluding Russia) (2 points)Azarenka
    i. Scandinavia (Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark) (2 points)Nieminen
    j. Asia (including Israel, not including Russia or Cyprus) (2 points)Li
    k. South America (2 points)Nalbandian
    a. Which Spanish woman will win the most singles matches? (1 point)Dominguez Lino
    b. Which Belgian man will win the most singles matches? (1 point)Malisse
    a. Dropping their racquet (1 point)Both
    b. Falling to the ground/their knees (1 point)Men's
    c. Crying during the ceremony (1 point)Neither
    d. Congratulating the runner-up's coach/entourage. (1 point)Neither
    e. Thanking the sponsors by name (2 points)Both
    13. Will the women's singles champion be wearing earrings that hang down from her ears during her first match? (2 points)Yes
    14. What is the deepest round an unseeded singles player will reach? (2 points)3rd round
    15. How many singles matches will be decided by retirement or walkover? (2 points)1
    16. Wild Cards:
    a. Which wild card entrant will make it deepest into a singles draw? (2 points)Brengle
    b. In the last round in which either is present, will there be a greater number of remaining wild cards or qualifiers? (1 point)Qualifiers
    a. ...one syllable? (2 points) Li
    b. ...two syllables? (2 points)Nadal
    c. ...three syllables? (2 points)Federer
    d. ...four syllables? (2 points)Nalbandian
    e. ...five or more syllables? (2 points)Dominguez Lino
    18. Name a player who will play two or more matches (singles and doubles) in Margaret Court Arena (1 point, and an extra point awarded for each match beyond the third)Davenport
    19. How many of the six doubles champions will have been born in the Southern Hemisphere? (2 points)None
    20. Will the mixed doubles champions both hail from the same country? (1 point)None

Tiebreak: How many total sets will be played in the 127 men's singles matches combined?492
    Picasso: Guernica

I did 127*3.75
    Interesting. I estimated 20% 5-set matches, 35% 4-set matches, 45% 3-set-matches. That also equals 476.

Quote Originally Posted by carlitos2006 View Post
    Interesting. I estimated 20% 5-set matches, 35% 4-set matches, 45% 3-set-matches. That also equals 476.
    Don't forget some of those 1 and 2 set matches. The way this year has started, there should be at least a few retirements.
    The Adventures of Pete and Pete: Mom

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Don't forget some of those 1 and 2 set matches. The way this year has started, there should be at least a few retirements.
    I forgot about those. Never mind, I'll let my current guess stand.

Oh dear, either my math and/or reading comprehension skills are seriously impaired. Apparently I'm expecting extreme weather in Melbourne. I should have had more coffee before I did this. As for Sofia and Olie... I'm just gonna roll with it.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast