Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Players: Plexicushion too slow

Dislike about the new surface system

World's number three, Novak Djokovic, and some other seeded tennis players, think that "Plexicushion", the surface for the Australian Open is slower than expected.
    29-12 | 10:29 hs. After 20 years at "Rebound Ace", the organizers of this year's Grand Slam decided to change the surface system with the aim of making the courts more consistent in terms of speed and rebound.

Australian Lleyton Hewitt, finalist of 2005 Open and the country's only hope to clinch the title, has supported the organizersí decision.

However, the players that took part in the opening of the Hopman Cup in Perth, where the same surface system is used, were not in favor of it.

"I thought it would be faster, but it seems to be slower," affirmed Serbian Jelena Jankovic, partner of Djokovic, who added: "We will see what happens in the future, for it is a very new surface. Currently, it is a bit rustic and very slow, but after a couple of days or a week it may turn faster."

Meanwhile, American Mardy Fish was blunt: "To be honest, I am not satisfied at all. It is really slow for me and balls feel softer."
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Players: Plexicushion too slow

In another article on it, Luczak called the court sped "medium", and Meghan S. was positive about the change.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/tennis...778768004.html

If it is slower, though, I'm kind of surprised a solid defender like Jankovic would be complaining. I'd think that would play better to her strengths, and give her the additional time to set up her putaway shot. Likewise, I'd think a slowing down would be a big benefit for Golovin, who is also a solid defender.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Tour Pro
    Awards Showcase

Currently University of Missouri, wished it was still Houston

so karlovic isn't going to win the australian this year?
    "well jesus christ i'm alone again, so what did you do those three days you were dead? cause this problems gonna last, more than the weekend..." ~ brand new

If it's true, I would like to know what Mr. Hewitt is saying about it (uncensored version)
    Roger forever

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by jsd123789456 View Post
    so karlovic isn't going to win the australian this year?
    No, but he has a good shot at making the finals of Doha! He's beaten Robredo (the seed in his way) before.

Sorry. I know that's off topic. I just like Dr. Ivo.

A commentator said that Rafa may have won 2006 AO but his injury kept him from participating because of the slow Rebound Ace. Therefore, if the new surface is slow like the players are saying, then Rafa chances of winning a Slam other than RG has increased significantly.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    A commentator said that Rafa may have won 2006 AO but his injury kept him from participating because of the slow Rebound Ace. Therefore, if the new surface is slow like the players are saying, then Rafa chances of winning a Slam other than RG has increased significantly.
    But weren't the fall indoor events pretty slow as well? Or least some of them? Yeah, there's a big difference between indoor and outdoor surfaces, but still, not sure the new surface in Melbourne will be slow enough for Rafa...

And isn't it likely that the court will speed up a bit with increasing heat?

Dry
    Rest in peace, Lizbeth Rivera (1988-2018).

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

9 Dragons Hexa Champion, Magic Towers Solitaire Champion Scotty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd think Rafa would prefer a higher-bouncing court, as well. I didn't see it mentioned in the latest rounds of player commentary, but I remember the organizers saying balls would bounce lower than on Rebound Ace.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    I'd think Rafa would prefer a higher-bouncing court, as well. I didn't see it mentioned in the latest rounds of player commentary, but I remember the organizers saying balls would bounce lower than on Rebound Ace.
    I seem to remember reading both (high and low bounces), so I just don't know who to believe.

Dry

self-appointed TAT Lurker
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I remember hearing that it would be a more consistant play on all courts but with low or medium bounces? (I don't remember anything about high bounces) and that the courts would quicken with more play on them.

Hewitt said likes the courts though.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

And since Ollie is about 4'11" WITH a turbin, he should love the low bounce. Maybe he'll finally contend for a major!

Dry

Quote Originally Posted by Justme View Post
    I remember hearing that it would be a more consistant play on all courts but with low or medium bounces? (I don't remember anything about high bounces) and that the courts would quicken with more play on them.

Hewitt said likes the courts though.
    Hewitt ought to like them since I believe they asked him for his input.

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    But weren't the fall indoor events pretty slow as well? Or least some of them? Yeah, there's a big difference between indoor and outdoor surfaces, but still, not sure the new surface in Melbourne will be slow enough for Rafa...

And isn't it likely that the court will speed up a bit with increasing heat?

Dry
    True about the slow indoor courts especially Paris. Forgot about the heat when the ball will travel very quickly especially with the roof open on the main court.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    True about the slow indoor courts especially Paris. Forgot about the heat when the ball will travel very quickly especially with the roof open on the main court.
    Not saying you're wrong, Patrick... I honestly don't know how it's going to play out where Rafa, or anyone else for that matter, is concerned. Not sure any of us do. But it's fun to hypothesize!!!

Dry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast