Agree Agree:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Re: The TCM thread (classic old movies)

I did not know TCM did this, but they have this event series in national theatres:
    http://www.fathomevents.com/
    Tomorrow: ET!
    Next month: To Kill a Mockingbird

I caught Now, Voyager for the first time on TCM last night. I'm not generally susceptible to sentimental melodrama, but I think I...have...something...in...my...eye

It's a beautiful film.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    I caught Now, Voyager for the first time on TCM last night. I'm not generally susceptible to sentimental melodrama, but I think I...have...something...in...my...eye

It's a beautiful film.
    Got to love it.

Another melodrama you can't help but like is Random Harvest with Greer Garson and Ronald Colman.

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    Got to love it.

Another melodrama you can't help but like is Random Harvest with Greer Garson and Ronald Colman.
    My boss actually just gave me a VHS copy of this a few weeks ago, oddly enough. Gonna have to check it out.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

It's a beautiful film.
    I love that movie. The one movie that makes me cry almost every time is Dark Victory. The last 15 minutes are heartbreaking.

Random Harvest is a great movie, too.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

It's a beautiful film.
    Watching Now, Voyager again during 31 days of Oscar

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Someone mentioned "Wings" on another thread, and I can't find the reference. Anyway, the post said that it had the first kiss between 2 men, even though it came out in 1927. I'm posting on this thread since I watched it on TCM. I had never seen it, and the post was what led to me keep an eye out for it.

Anyway, as mentioned, it was the first "Best Picture" Oscar winner, though the Oscars weren't called that quite yet. There were 2 things that really astounded me. The first was this: For probably all of a quarter of a second, there was a view of Clara Bow's completely nude breasts. In 1927, people couldn't stop the movie and advance it a frame at a time. So then, they would only have seen a suggestion of this. But if you stop the movie, there they are.

The second thing was the kiss. Admittedly, it was one man kissing a dying man to whom he felt incredibly close. But it was on the lips and was a fairly romantic kiss. Almost more surprising was the depth of the relationship between those 2 men. We all know that war-time relationships between 2 combatants can be incredibly intense. But this one was presented as an almost-romance. The girlfriends back home are almost an after-thought for most of the movie.

I know the 20's were far more permissive than some later decades, but I was surprised about the nudity and about the intensity of this relationship, ending with a kiss and a very tender and prolonged embrace.

GH

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415