Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0

GVGirl's NetHead Davis Cup Blog-Some Final Thoughts

Some final words from my jet lagged "NetHead" self. I preface this by saying that these are my words and not TAT’s.

I enjoyed attending my first Davis Cup Final and I continue my streak of the USA winning all the Davis Cup ties that I have attended as a NetHead!
    After the "clinching" on Saturday, while Craig, Tani (my pal "Bama girl" as noted in my member blogs) and other NetHeads were on the hunt for the DC party, I was attending a party with most of the "senior" NetHeads in terms of years as a NetHead not age. We reflected on some of the good times and bad times we shared over the course of the almost 6 years that NetHeads have existed. Some of us recalled that only 6 NetHeads traveled to last year’s tie in Moscow. Others reflected on Winston Salem where we counted 65 of us in number just this past April and what a great tie it was in terms of the fans.

With all of Day 3 a moot point, Bob Bryan hung in there with Igor Andreev. I really thought Igor would bagel Bob in one of the sets. James Blake violated the Davis Cup "dead rubber" etiquette by coming back to win after dropping the first set. In some circles after you lose the first set in a dead rubber you are supposed to "graciously" lose the second set. Not this time.

I am about get beat up by the Portland area with this statement: the Davis Cup tie most recently played in Winston-Salem was the best tie that I have ever attended as both a fan and a NetHead. Portland did an exemplary job no doubt. But the Winston- Salem fans were so much more vocal for every point. I felt as though there were 12,000 other NetHeads present in the arena. Also the town of Winston-Salem had so many more Davis Cup and tennis related activities taking place near the area, in the arena area after the matches and throughout the town. The Davis Cup was the focus of the entire city that weekend- top of the news, front page of the newspapers.

In Portland there were so many others things going on with the "Civil War" and high school football that the Davis Cup was an "after thought" in regard to media attention. In the future, when the US hosts another Davis Cup final again, "the powers that be" need to pay attention to which of the cities will give the Davis Cup Final more bang for it’s media and promotion buck as Winston-Salem did.

I would like to personally thank Patrick McEnroe for thanking those of us who have traveled all over the world attending the Davis Cup ties in his end of the tie speech. He did not mention the NetHeads by name, but we knew he was talking about us and I appreciate it. I don’t think that the USTA appreciates us quite as much.

People seem to think that the NetHeads are a bunch of Jet Setters who happen to be tennis fanatics. We are an eclectic group diverse in many ways as we total close to 400 people. We are for the most part "working class" folks who have to juggle vacation days like everybody else, save and budget for the Davis Cup and Fed Cup trips like most people. We are not paid by the USTA we do it out of love for Davis Cup, Fed Cup and tennis in general.

The NetHead year begins again in 2008 with the USA Ladies of Fed Cup facing Germany the week after the Australian Open. Rumors have it that the tie may be played in Hawaii. I don’t know if I’ll make that trip. As for the Davis Cup, the men of the USA begin their defense of the cup February 8th in Vienna, Austria. Those Austrians are some party animals!
    Hmmm.....

I want to thank Kirkus for giving me the opportunity to "out" myself as a NetHead and write this blog. I wish that I could have done more, I was so swamped with obligations as a NetHead, blogger, Mother and Wife. I also want to say "thank you" to Pete Bodo for giving me some space in his blog over this past weekend.

Lastly, I want to thank my all my NetHead friends and TAT friends that I saw over the weekend. If I don't see any of you before, see you at the US Open tailgate on 8/30/08.

Re: GVGirl's NetHead Davis Cup Blog-Some Final Thoughts

That would be the problem with Oregon, Tennis gets pretty much no attention. There is rarely anything here, I was shocked when we had the Davis Cup Final. It was exciting for me, being a huge tennis fan who was able to go because it was in Oregon. I was one of the netheads too.
    The only good tennis thing I have seen in Oregon is the grass courts in eastern Oregon! These aren't even appreciated, and we might not even have them next year. I was hoping the Davis cup would bring some attention, but it didn't seem to help. Hopefully it will inspire something. The civil war being the same weekend was annoying. That did pull alot of attention away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by kayce View Post
    That would be the problem with Oregon, Tennis gets pretty much no attention. There is rarely anything here, I was shocked when we had the Davis Cup Final. It was exciting for me, being a huge tennis fan who was able to go because it was in Oregon. I was one of the netheads too.
    The only good tennis thing I have seen in Oregon is the grass courts in eastern Oregon! These aren't even appreciated, and we might not even have them next year. I was hoping the Davis cup would bring some attention, but it didn't seem to help. Hopefully it will inspire something. The civil war being the same weekend was annoying. That did pull alot of attention away from it.
    I'm happy that you could be there!

nehemiajapheth

Well, GVGirl, that's great. I really was impressed by your ability to save some money for a trip to watch all those great tennis matches. I wish I could do the same but my current fnancial situation denies me the chance.

Hope I will be doing the same in the next few years. Congratulations, GVGirl!

Quote Originally Posted by nehemiajapheth View Post
    Well, GVGirl, that's great. I really was impressed by your ability to save some money for a trip to watch all those great tennis matches. I wish I could do the same but my current fnancial situation denies me the chance.

Hope I will be doing the same in the next few years. Congratulations, GVGirl!
    It's called saving/hoarding many frequent flier miles, hotel rewards points and being the Queen of finding travel bargains. It doesn't hurt to volunteer or work for tournaments either. My next Davis Cup trip probably won't be until either April or September. Have to save up myself.