Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Davis Cup, Day 3: The end

by Mariya Konovalova

The stadium was only about half to two thirds full on Sunday and we moved down to the nice seats just a few rows behind the Russian team, providing a much better view of everything (like that the yellow things in a basket on the back side of the umpires' chair were bananas).

After Andreev and Tursunov warmed up, the whole Russian team, including, at one point, Captain Tarpishev, played football soccer. It was highly entertaining to watch them - Youzhny has particularly crafty - but not as entertaining as watching the US team members' faces when they were called on court. Patrick McEnroe's bloodshot eyes, Mike Bryan's exhausted face, and Andy Roddick's fight to keep his eyes open were quite telling of the previous night's festivities.

The first reverse singles match featured Bob Bryan against Igor Andreev. Although Bob played well, he was no match for Andreev's forehand. During one game, Bob was just laughing at Igor's forehand shots without even moving to get to the ball for three straight points.

Next up was James Blake against Dmitry Tursunov. It is hard to write about this match, because the words I would like to use to address Dmitry are censored by TAT. With Blake looking hungover, and moving like it, Tursunov raced through a 6-1 first set. For awhile, it looked like a reversal of USA-Russia roles in the opening rubber of the tie. But soon Blake woke up and relaxed (he was even joking with Gabashvili and Davydenko between points), and Tursunov went away. In a blink, Blake had won the match in three sets, making the final score of the Final 4-1, same as in every US tie in 2007.

Perhaps my favorite moment of the weekend was during a changeover in Blake-Tursunov, when Igor Andreev walked out to the team bench from the locker room. Whereas most cheers or applause start with one or two people and grow, this time, the Russian fans simultaneously started clapping. Igor smiled bashfully and sat down without any showing off.

While James Blake deserves the MVP (as well as Most Improved) title for this Final and Andy Roddick and the Bryan twins have been infallible, Andreev, without a doubt, has been the most valuable on the Russian team this year, despite being ranked the lowest. Coming back from a serious injury, he played above his ranking and often over his head, but carried Russia through the first tie with Chile and through the semifinal against Germany. And, while Bob Bryan is not a dangerous opponent for a player of Andreev's caliber, Igor proved his value to the team again, saving us from a whitewash.

Re: Davis Cup, Day 3: The end

Blake was MVP? Really?

Rock on re: everything else. Glad you had a great time (minus the result).

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by bea26 View Post
    Blake was MVP? Really?
    I don't think they do MVPs in tennis. But this was my personal opinion on the final.

Guess I was right not to take PMac for granted, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I don't think they do MVPs in tennis. But this was my personal opinion on the final.

Guess I was right not to take PMac for granted, huh?
    I don't know about that. Bless PMac but I don't know how much he had to do with this. I think it had a lot to do with the Bryans, and most to do with the sheer willpower of your man, Mr. Andy Roddick. He'd be MVP in my book.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I don't know about that. Bless PMac but I don't know how much he had to do with this. I think it had a lot to do with the Bryans, and most to do with the sheer willpower of your man, Mr. Andy Roddick. He'd be MVP in my book.
    Well, I was kidding about PMac, although he has been able to keep the team very tight and let them feed off each other, which is not bad.

And Roddick gets MVP for the past 7 years, but in this particular final... Things could have been different if Youzhny finished his freaking job in the fourth set if the second match went to fifth, but Blake played so solidly that it didn't. And he put in the effort Sunday too, despite not having to.

Roddick just went out and hit the ball inside the court Friday. Bryans were also fine once they realized they're golden if they hit to Andreev's backhand.

It would be hard to name an MVP just because every songle team member went out and did their job exactly the way they were supposed to. I would lean, though, toward agreeing with a James Blake MVP just because that was the only live rubber that there was some serious hand-wringing about, before and during and he played surprisingly well. Plus he came out on Sunday and didn't throw the match away (I personally woulda make Mike Bryan play for me).
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    It would be hard to name an MVP just because every songle team member went out and did their job exactly the way they were supposed to. I would lean, though, toward agreeing with a James Blake MVP just because that was the only live rubber that there was some serious hand-wringing about, before and during and he played surprisingly well. Plus he came out on Sunday and didn't throw the match away (I personally woulda make Mike Bryan play for me).
    Andy would've cleaned up the mess. Andy was 5-0 in Davis Cup this year, James was 3-2. Bless James for making this as tidy a win as possible but this was Andy's war.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Andy would've cleaned up the mess. Andy was 5-0 in Davis Cup this year, James was 3-2. Bless James for making this as tidy a win as possible but this was Andy's war.
    But I wasn't going by what could have been, but by matches actually played.

But I wasn't going by what could have been, but by matches actually played.
    5-0 v. 3-2. Those were actually played.

Sure, James played his dead rubber, but it was just that. Dead. An argument can certainly be made for James. I'm sticking with your boyfriend.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

5-0 v. 3-2. Those were actually played.

Sure, James played his dead rubber, but it was just that. Dead. An argument can certainly be made for James. I'm sticking with your boyfriend.
    Huh?

And, for the second part, thanks for telling me in the other thread where I can find you tomorrow. Anyone know a good place where I could get a nice gun and a silencer?

It's kinda moot. I agree he probably woulda cleaned it up (if he had to play Andreev, I'm less positive on that) but he didn't have to because of James. I can't speak for mmmm8, but I was saying James was the MVP of this particular tie. Andy was only on the court like 90 minutes the whole weekend. He's definitely MVP of the whole year, though.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    It's kinda moot. I agree he probably woulda cleaned it up (if he had to play Andreev, I'm less positive on that) but he didn't have to because of James. I can't speak for mmmm8, but I was saying James was the MVP of this particular tie. Andy was only on the court like 90 minutes the whole weekend. He's definitely MVP of the whole year, though.
    You can speak for mmmm8

And, for the second part, thanks for telling me in the other thread where I can find you tomorrow. Anyone know a good place where I could get a nice gun and a silencer?
    Why not just use something like this?

Roger forever

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Why not just use something like this?

Thanks. But that's too messy. And it'd be harder to take out potential witnesses.

You can speak for mmmm8

Hmm, you shouldn't give me carte blanche like that. I'm gonna put all kinds of crazy words in your mouth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast