Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

DC: The morning after, or my flight with the stars

I'll post a day 3 note and tons of photos and some video a bit later, but wanted to share this before I forget.

As I got out of my cab at the Portland airport for a flight back to New York this morning at 5 am, I realized that the guy with the humongous bags getting out of a cab in front of me was John Roddick, and that the bags held Andy's rackets. I congratulated him as we walked into the terminal, and he disorientedly thanked me and went on with a confused look on his face. Like me, he must not be an early riser.

I then realized I was in the tennis mecca of the moment, as virtually everyone around me was tennis related, while most of the tennis world is resting in the off-season. I've never seen so many racquet bags concentrated in one place. USTA officials, Russian TV crews, spectators, were all reduced to one as they had to wade through the airport's long lines to get on flights to New York or Atlanta.

John Roddick and Andy's racquets must have gone on to Atlanta , but I did find Betty Blake (mother of James and Thomas) two people in front of me in the security line, and that was the first memorable encounter of my flight.

To me, off-court details are telling about on-court personalities, so it was great to get a bit of an inside look. Some tidbits:

Cute or Ugly?

Cute:
    Betty Blake. Very friendly woman, with not a hint of arrogance parents of famous kids often get.
    Cute: SOOO cute. PMac's daughter Victoria. Absolutely adorable blond little thing. I think she is a year old.
    Cute: Tennis players who read books and can pull off looking stylish in a T-shirt, baseball hat, and a heavy wool scarf
    Ugly: Putting Igor Andreev and Patrick McEnroe on the same flight, within 5 feet from each other
    Ugly: The bitter look Andreev flashed at PMac when PMac was not looking
    Cute: The little green case for the Davis Cup replica trophy
    Ugly: A ridiculously humongous Yonex sack (hardly a bag) in which Andreev carries his stuff. It was black at some point, I think.
    Ugly: People trying to stand next to Igor Andreev and listen in on his conversation, pretending they are not
    Cute: Igor and PMac saying their goodbyes. Good sportsmanship all around.
    Ugly: 6:00 am flights

Trying not to be noticeable, because it's kind of rude, I took a (bad) cell phone photo of Andreev and his trophy (the case at his feet). That's PMac's daughter crawling in the background.

Re: DC: The morning after, or my flight with the stars

Oh, that's so cool. I love "cute or ugly," by the way.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Love the "cute" "ugly" m8. Thanks!
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

LOL @ the cell phone photo. Wasn't it you that had a photo of the back of Brian Barker's head? . And that photo of Molina looked like you were right beside him. I'm usually too introverted to take photos up close, in addition to the whole don't want to be rude thing. So I commend you all for biting the bullet and letting us in on the action.

jj
    Blue Steel

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I was sitting right behind Barker and right next to Soren the challenge system guy who sat next to Molina. Molina was really nice to me, so I think I'm replacing Sandra de Jenken, with whom I'm sadly not on speaking terms (what with not having spoken to her), with Enric as my new best umpire friend.

The draw ceremony was a media event, so there were flashes everywhere. They didn't even notice.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Between you and GV Girl, we have to find a way to cut the "Post Of The Year" trophy in half to give your contributions these past few days the recognition they deserve.

Thanks for sharing so much of your experience so well with all of us, M8
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Between you and GV Girl, we have to find a way to cut the "Post Of The Year" trophy in half to give your contributions these past few days the recognition they deserve.

Thanks for sharing so much of your experience so well with all of us, M8
    Thanks, Moose.

It's a pleasure to share the experience, and I wouldn't want to share it with anyone more than TAT

Why was John Roddick flying commercial when Andy has a private jet?

As a USTA insider, they take the cheapest flights out, which usually are 4-6 in the morning.

Out of ignorance, not snark I ask: Andreev got a trophy?
    It's hard out here for a Zuz.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by oohsalmon View Post
    Out of ignorance, not snark I ask: Andreev got a trophy?
    Like the winners, the finalists get replica Davis Cups. Both teams' names get engraved on the big trophy (i.e. "USA d. Russia")

Many thanks for sharing this with us, M8!

Love the "cute/thing" thing