by Mariya Konovalova

When we had agreed to do a daily blog during the final, I expected to have something to say for each day. I don't have many words today, however.

I could play over yesterday's losses. I could think back to the first set tiebreak today, where two points on Davydenko's serve went to the Bryans, more or less determining the match. But it does not really matter.

Before today's match, I navigated the underground passages of the stadium (I was looking for someone in the media center). I had almost accidentally walked onto the court twice, ran into Thomas Blake - the guy is EVERYWHERE - and Bud Collins, and finally found a way out.

I got to my seat right before the end of the warm-up and got an optimistic jolt out of nowhere. A dangerous glimmer of hope. A set later, it was gone.

Tarpishev, as far as I see it, made the right choice of a doubles team. Andreev and Davydenko, although they lacked communication during points at times today, complement each other. Andreev's power is matched by Davydenko's variety. But they could not play well at the same time today. Andreev started off strong, then deflated once the Bryans figured out he does not have a backhand return. Davydenko started off nervously, but found form (and lost his serve) by the second set.

Even in this uneven shape, the pair probably gave Mike and Bob Bryan a more competitive match then they expected. But they stood the test and brought the US the deciding point.

It was surreal and rather touching to watch the U.S. celebrations on court. The U.S. team deserved it.

CONGRATULATIONS to Team USA and all their fans!