Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Davis Cup Final, Day 1: KABOOM!

While GVGirl is providing a view of the Final through a Net, so to speak, Mariya will be giving you the other side of things. As it turns out, it’s a dark, gloomy view from this side.

KABOOM! (that’s the sound of Russia bombing)
    by Mariya Konovalova

I woke up this morning an hour before my alarm clock and, immediately, it started playing out in my head. Over and over. “0-2. James Blake = mentally tough.” I already know what is coming up today, with the doubles rubber against the Bryan brothers.

More than disappointment, it is a feeling of a surprise attack. I was not prepared for this. I was expecting a 1-1 score after the first day, and hoping for 2-0. Instead, there is 0-2 and a near certainty of losing the tie today. I would love to just go back to sleep for the rest of the weekend and pretend it was all a dream. But I have jet lag.

Roddick d. Tursunov 6-4 6-4 6-2
    I will not bore you with the technical details because most of you probably watched the match or read about it. I have not looked at the match stats, but I am sure Roddick had great ones. He played a very clean match. I do not want to take any credit away from Andy’s concentrated play. But he did not have to do anything special to beat an opponent that was more of a ghost than a tennis player. I used the word “ghost” rather than 'spirit," because spirit was something that never once showed in Dmitry Tursunov in that match.

After a very strong start in the first game, Tursunov struggled in his second service game. And while he was able to hold, I could feel that things were going awry. My headache started at that point, and my head did not stop pounding until I walked out of the stadium.

After Dmitry was broken in the first, I knew the match was over, and spent the rest of it in a trance-like state, barely paying attention to the disaster going on on court. I spent some time trying to distinguish the various tennis officials sitting in the far-off VIP section, and observing the team benches.

Irina and Nikolay Davydenko were sitting directly below us. It was interesting to watch their interaction and body language. Very warm and caring. It was somehow reassuring to see two people who love each other while my hopes were being crushed.

Blake d. Youzhny 6-3 7-6(4) 6-7(3) 7-6(3)
    The result of this match is more disappointing than the first rubber could have possibly been, despite better quality tennis and competitive level. Youzhny’s loss was, virtually, the loss of the entire tie for Russia

Youzhny let himself get broken in his first service game and never recovered. Even when he was playing his best tennis later in the match, you could feel that the thought of having to come from behind was weighing him down.

While Blake exceeded everyone’s expectations for this tie, especially mine, and was playing better and evenly throughout the match, it was Youzhny that lost it. He was leading 3-1 in the fourth set tiebreak and had a great chance to take it to the fifth set, where Blake, as we all know, has a less than stellar record. Had it gone there, perhaps I would have been in a much different mood this morning.

Blake was stellar. He did not do many spectacular things, but he did not blink either. He did lose his serve up a break in the fourth set, but he was just returning the favor Youzhny had done him earlier when he was broken serving for the third set. Youzhny then used a second chance and won that set in a tiebreak, and Blake did the same in the fourth.

Someone has told me that the US needs this final, this Davis Cup more, having not won it in many years, and coveting it so much. Perhaps so. Perhaps the Russian team just doesn’t have the will this time around. But there is a difference between losing and losing valiantly. “Kaboom!” went the small fireworks from the stadium ceiling announcing each U.S. win. The final blow to my spirit.

Today is another day, but it’s not a promising one.

There will be photos of the match and some off-court tidbits, like Thomas Blake’s run-in with an usher in a separate thread a little later.

Re: Davis Cup Final, Day 1: KABOOM!

Quote Originally Posted by TalkAboutTennis View Post
    While GVGirl is providing a view of the Final through a Net, so to speak, Mariya will be giving you the other side of things. As it turns out, it’s a dark, gloomy view from this side.

KABOOM! (that’s the sound of Russia bombing)
    by Mariya Konovalova

I woke up this morning an hour before my alarm clock and, immediately, it started playing out in my head. Over and over. “0-2. James Blake = mentally tough.” I already know what is coming up today, with the doubles rubber against the Bryan brothers.

More than disappointment, it is a feeling of a surprise attack. I was not prepared for this. I was expecting a 1-1 score after the first day, and hoping for 2-0. Instead, there is 0-2 and a near certainty of losing the tie today. I would love to just go back to sleep for the rest of the weekend and pretend it was all a dream. But I have jet lag.

Roddick d. Tursunov 6-4 6-4 6-2
    I will not bore you with the technical details because most of you probably watched the match or read about it. I have not looked at the match stats, but I am sure Roddick had great ones. He played a very clean match. I do not want to take any credit away from Andy’s concentrated play. But he did not have to do anything special to beat an opponent that was more of a ghost than a tennis player. I used the word “ghost” rather than 'spirit," because spirit was something that never once showed in Dmitry Tursunov in that match.

After a very strong start in the first game, Tursunov struggled in his second service game. And while he was able to hold, I could feel that things were going awry. My headache started at that point, and my head did not stop pounding until I walked out of the stadium.

After Dmitry was broken in the first, I knew the match was over, and spent the rest of it in a trance-like state, barely paying attention to the disaster going on on court. I spent some time trying to distinguish the various tennis officials sitting in the far-off VIP section, and observing the team benches.

Irina and Nikolay Davydenko were sitting directly below us. It was interesting to watch their interaction and body language. They are very warm and caring. It was somehow reassuring to see two people who love each other while my hopes were being crushed.

Blake d. Youzhny 6-3 7-6(4) 6-7(3) 7-6(3)
    The result of this match is more disappointing than the first rubber could have possibly been, despite better quality tennis and competitive level. Youzhny’s loss was, virtually, the loss of the entire tie for Russia

Youzhny let himself get broken in his first service game and never recovered. Even then he was playing his best tennis later in the match, you could feel that the thought of having to come from behind was weighing him down.

While Blake exceeded everyone’s expectations for this time, especially mine, and was playing better and evenly throughout the match, it was Youzhny that lost it. He was leading 3-1 in the fourth set tiebreak and had a great chance to take it to the fifth set, where Blake, as we all know, has a less than stellar record. Had it gone there, perhaps I would have been in a much different mood this morning.

Blake was stellar. He did not do many spectacular things, but he did not blink either. He did lose his serve up a break in the fourth set, but he was just returning the favor Youzhny had done him earlier when he was broken serving for the third set. Youzhny then used a second chance and won that set in a tiebreak, and Blake did the same in the fourth.

Someone has told me that the US needs this final, this Davis Cup more, having not won it in many years, and coveting it so much. Perhaps so. Perhaps the Russian team just doesn’t have the will this time around. But there is a difference between losing and losing valiantly. “Kaboom!” went the small fireworks from the stadium ceiling announcing each U.S. win. The final blow to my spirit.

Today is another day, but it’s not a promising one.

There will be photos of the match and some off-court tidbits, like Thomas Blake’s run-in with an usher in a separate thread a little later.
    Excellent post, mmmm8. Hope that the headache's gone away for good (and that the US still wins, of course.)
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Mariya. Sorry I overslept and couldn't get you onto the laptop this morn.

I just posted my Day 1 summary on the blog. Well part of of it anyway.

I'm hungover and now have to go and shout for the Bryans. Poor me. LOL.

I'll also have lots of pictures of TATeurs from the dinner we had last night, but that won't be till after the doubles.

I echo nelslus' sentiments, mmmm8. But hey, at least Portland has tax free shopping.
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by craighickman View Post
    Thanks, Mariya. Sorry I overslept and couldn't get you onto the laptop this morn.

I just posted my Day 1 summary on the blog. Well part of of it anyway.

I'm hungover and now have to go and shout for the Bryans. Poor me. LOL.

I'll also have lots of pictures of TATeurs from the dinner we had last night, but that won't be till after the doubles.

hey, Craig. Do you like this new name I made for you, "someone?" Won't have a chance to look at your blog till later tonight probably. Not that I need more soul-crushing

Outstanding blog mmmm8!! Enjoy Portland for what it's worth.
    ADAM Member

Finally have access to the internet (Had to come down to the Portland Library). But Day 1 was a blast. I was really impressed with Andy. I would disagree that all Andy had to do was "show up," but it wasn't Tursunov at his best. It was Andy at his most cerebral, though.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe