Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0

GVGirl's Nethead Davis Cup Blog 11/30/07

The day began early at 10:30 AM. Normally the NetHeads would be tailgating outside in front of the venue, but with the cold temps outside and the threat of rain, the “Tailgate” was moved to a self made hospitality suite at the Hilton hotel.

65 people jammed into the suite to say their hellos and to get “pumped up” for the day’s matches. Around 11:30, we set out for the Memorial Coliseum via Portland’s version of the NYC Subway, the Tri-Met train/trolley. There were already tons of tennis fans on the Tri-Met, but the sight of a large group of people wearing identical t-shirts and wearing nets on their heads, made the ”regular” riders turn their heads.

On the T-Met we discuss how many Davis Cup ties each of us has attended over the years. One of the senior Netheads let’s call him D., wins the prize having attended 24 Davis Cup ties. Maybe 24 will be the charm for him to see the USA win since ’95.

The lines to get into Memorial Coliseum were lllllloooooonnnnnggg, but very respectful. After getting into the venue, my husband gets into the line to buy Davis Cup merchandise. He’s on line for a full 35 minutes. FYI-short sleeve t-shirts were selling for $25, long sleeves for $30.

Everyone settles into their seats for the opening ceremony. There is a parade of the flags of all the Davis Cup nations in the World Group. The national anthems of the two nations are sung. The two teams exchange small gifts. It’s now Showtime.

Roddick d. Tursunov 6-4, 6-4, 6-2
    Not the highest quality match. How many break points can one squander? It seemed as though Roddick had 100 break point chances against Dmi. Andy failed to capitalize on Dmi’s second serve. Not many rallies in this match. Andy did not come to net at all, content to rally from the baseline. But why should I quibble? Andy did what he had to. He won! You could see the relief on his face at the end.

James Blake d. Youhzny 6-3, 7-6 (4), 6-7(3), 7-6 (3)
    Match of the day with great shot making. Entertainingly competitive with some drama at the end when Blake failed to end the match while serving for it at 5-4 in the fourth. JB got it done in the tie-break and told the world that he isn’t a choker. This was such a key match for the US, with the 2-0 lead going into Saturday with Bryans playing- “the fork is hovering.”

A couple of tidbits.
    *A shout out to the Russian fans for showing up and cheering loudly. I have attended so many US Davis Cup ties in the US where the opposing team hardly had any fans attend.
    *The players are staying at the Downtown Marriott where they were spotted all having breakfast together.

*Thomas Blake sighting. Some TATeurs on the way to a TAT dinner gathering spot Thomas Blake walking by himself away from the Memorial Coliseum. The TATeurs’ car stopped and the driver none other than TAT poster and tennis blogger Craig Hickman congratulated Thomas on his brother’s victory and offered him a ride. Of course Blake declined.

*There are already rumors about multiple celebration parties for Saturday night should the US clinch. (Let’s see if I can sneak into any of them)

*There was an “official” TAT dinner gathering which included yours truly, Craig Hickman, MMMM8, Evil juju, Junior juju, Munchin and assorted significant others and friends.

Pictures coming a little later this morning.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: GVGirl's Nethead Davis Cup Blog 11/30/07

Too bad about Thomas Blake... I guess his mama taught him not to hitch a ride with strangers.

Dry
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Here's a BIG for GVGirl, Craig & mmmm8 and all TAT Portland-ites for the Davis Cup posts. Truly considerate of you all- especially as it must be extremely busy in Portland for you all. Much appreciated.
    Last edited by nelslus; 12-01-2007 at 10:48 AM.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Too bad about Thomas Blake... I guess his mama taught him not to hitch a ride with strangers.

Dry
    Interestingly enough, while James will certainly always be the Blake of Choice in BPDN's universe- having seen him a few times in person- BPDN would hit it with Thomas, too in a single-BPDN universe, of course. Looks much better in person.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
    Interestingly enough, while James will certainly always be the Blake of Choice in BPDN's universe- having seen him a few times in person- BPDN would hit it with Thomas, too in a single-BPDN universe, of course. Looks much better in person.
    You just wanna yank on his dreads.

Dry
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    You just wanna yank on his dreads.

Dry
    Is that what they're calling it now? That's enough Dry.

Great post GVGirl.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Great post, GVGirl. The Pacific Northwest has a large Russian population, so I'm not surprised to hear that they are out in full force.

Wish I could be there! Unfortunately, finals week looms...
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Nice GVG!!!!!! Hope you guys are having a great time.
    ADAM Member

Adding a few pics!