Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tournament Talk

Where am I?
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Tournament Talk

This is a place (similar to-- though lacking the panache of-- the SP Losers' Lounge) for us to kibitz about the Scrabble tournament if we need, without junking up any other fora.

Grievances to air? Do it here.

Requests for matches? Ask here.

General Scrabble-related minutiae? Share them here.

Thanks everyone for your participation
    I'll miss you!

Where am I?
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Tournament Talk

Several matches are done and scores are in! As soon as we have a full round done, I will update the results page. Congratulations to those early round winners and never fear to those of you who weren't as lucky; there is still a lot of play to be had.

I have included two more matches per group for those of you who are finished with your first two or have been unable to arrange a time with someone else in the group.

Have fun!
    I'll miss you!

zephblabs' three first words: ajee, jatos, maists. I was blown away and horrified. These are just not words you see every day.
    It's hard out here for a Zuz.

Quote Originally Posted by oohsalmon View Post
    zephblabs' three first words: ajee, jatos, maists. I was blown away and horrified. These are just not words you see every day.
    Ajee, Jatos and Maists are the names of Scotty's first three pimps, before Big Daddy Pimp Nelslus purchased Scotty for his stable with three Bazooka Joe gum wrappers.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
    Ajee, Jatos and Maists are the names of Scotty's first three pimps, before Big Daddy Pimp Nelslus purchased Scotty for his stable with three Bazooka Joe gum wrappers.
    Especially the three Bazooka Joe gum wrappers part!

Nelslus I thought Bea was the only Big Daddy around here. Are we going to have to move this discussion to the Dumpster since we're not jacking Beau's thread?

Three Bazooka Joe wrappers indeed.

BTW those words have been duly noted
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Where am I?
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Nelslus I thought Bea was the only Big Daddy around here. Are we going to have to move this discussion to the Dumpster since we're not jacking Beau's thread?

Three Bazooka Joe wrappers indeed.

BTW those words have been duly noted

Not that I mind referencing Scotty's pimps every chance I get, and I know that threads get jacked, but as Ti said, can we keep this out of The Dumpster? It really needs to be in the Scrabble sub-forum, thanks.
    I'll miss you!

Tour Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oohsalmon View Post

but you still whopped my ass with 'ass'. i got that from playing other people(who consistently defeated me). i have also added quay, qi, xu and za to my repertoire.

Where am I?
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Hey everyone, a couple of quick updates. As soon as I figure out this blasted table, I'll have all results posted. This will likely be by tomorrow evening.

Those of you in Group B, there has been a substitution of players, so check the "Groups and Matchups" thread to see if any of your listed matches has been changed, and PM the appropriate new opponent to schedule your matches.

Finally, please don't forget to PM me the scores of your matches upon their completion, as the points won/lost will be used to break any ties in the end.

Okay, as of this posting, there are nine matches completed and at least two scheduled for tomorrow that I've been informed of. Awesome job guys; I'm really enjoying this and hope you are too!

Your friendly neighborhood Scrabble facilitator,

beaujarkko
    I'll miss you!

Where am I?
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Through yesterday, we have a total of 13 matches completed!

And, with the help of Jessie, I was able to figure out the stupid table format, so the "results" thread has tables now. Lots of matches still to be played, and the rest of the matches will be posted, soon. Remember, everyone plays everyone else in his/her group, so if you're having difficulty finding a time to play one person, ask someone else

Thanks for helping to keep this running smoothly, folks!
    I'll miss you!

This will sound like whining, but it's not. Promise.
    Why do we set the challenge to Double? I've played Scrabble online at various sites over the years, and I've always wondered why everyone just doesn't play Regular where all the words are verified before a move is set.
    Seems like an opening for cheating.

Explanation anyone?
    “Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted in spite of your changing moods” - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by leah_jewel View Post
    Why do we set the challenge to Double? I've played Scrabble online at various sites over the years, and I've always wondered why everyone just doesn't play Regular where all the words are verified before a move is set.

Explanation anyone?

I almost wrote a post worded exactly like that. i didn't want to whine but it seemed kinda weird. It took me a few turns the first time to get used to it. Best guess: it closest simulates a "real" game as if we were all in a room together. Of course, i tend to throw my drink in the face of people who beat me in real life so you're all lucky to be spared.

But surely we can make a rule that if both parties agree to drop the double challenge thing for a game, it can be allowed, yes?
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Explanation anyone?
    Because that's the way tournament and club Scrabble is played. There's almost an art to playing phonies (as they're properly called). The best player at my club is known for playing a lot of phonies, but also for playing obscure words that look like mis-spellings, hoping that people will challenge them.

Of course, that's why people usually play against others of roughly similar ability (specifically word knowledge), or else the better player can simply bully the other with unfamiliar words.

One argument against playing "regular" is that it allows people to just keep trying different words until you find one that works.

Where am I?
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Explanation anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    I almost wrote a post worded exactly like that. i didn't want to whine but it seemed kinda weird. It took me a few turns the first time to get used to it. Best guess: it closest simulates a "real" game as if we were all in a room together. Of course, i tend to throw my drink in the face of people who beat me in real life so you're all lucky to be spared.

But surely we can make a rule that if both parties agree to drop the double challenge thing for a game, it can be allowed, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Martini4me View Post
    Because that's the way tournament and club Scrabble is played. There's almost an art to playing phonies (as they're properly called). The best player at my club is known for playing a lot of phonies, but also for playing obscure words that look like mis-spellings, hoping that people will challenge them.

Of course, that's why people usually play against others of roughly similar ability (specifically word knowledge), or else the better player can simply bully the other with unfamiliar words.

One argument against playing "regular" is that it allows people to just keep trying different words until you find one that works.
    When I was setting up the rules, I was really going along with what is used in competitive play, basically what Martini has already answered. There are definitely positives and negatives to both, as everyone I have quoted has said already.

This being said, I personally have no objection to what munchin asked; if both players agree beforehand to "regular" play instead of "double" play, then by all means, go ahead.

If people are going to cheat, they're going to cheat, one way or the other. I just feel that we have a lot of integrity, so I'm not too concerned about it actually happening.
    I'll miss you!

Thanks everyone for your responses. I appreciate the insight.
    “Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted in spite of your changing moods” - C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast