Director of Content
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

PLAYERS - NICKNAMES AND PRONUNCIATION

These lists have been thoroughly researched and should be correct. However, if you notice a mistake, would like to suggest a nickname to add, or just want to make a general comment, please do so by replying to the following thread or by sending me (mmmm8) a Private Message.

These will be updated approximately once a month based on current rankings. Players will be added but not removed, unless some time will have passed since their retirement.

Please see explanations behind the "TATisms" at the bottom

Thank you!

Director of Content
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Re: Players - nicknames and pronunciation1

ATP PLAYERS

*Pronunciation: You'll note that the pronunciation given above is often different from what the WTA or the TV commentators provide. I researched to do my best to have the real correct pronunciations listed.
    Some are really really different from what we're used to hearing.

The guide to reading the pronunciations is pretty simple. I went mostly with a "spell it like it sounds" technique, using only one phonetic symbol (Ə), capitalizing the stressed syllable. The only note is that Ə is pronounce like 'a' in 'cat,' while A is pronounced like 'a' in 'car'

**Please note that I have not included and will not include overly offensive and inappropriate nicknames.
    Also, the nicknames above are just a guide, not instructions. Please be aware and respectful of others' familiarity with tennis, the Tour, tennis forums, and TAT in particular, when using nicknames, in order to make the discussion accessible to everyone.

Director of Content
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

WTA PLAYERS

*Pronunciation: You'll note that the pronunciation given above is often different from what the WTA or the TV commentators provide. I researched to do my best to have the real correct pronunciations listed.
    Some are really really different from what we're used to hearing.

The guide to reading the pronunciations is pretty simple. I went mostly with a "spell it like it sounds" technique, using only one phonetic symbol (Ə), capitalizing the stressed syllable. The only note is that Ə is pronounce like 'a' in 'cat,' while A is pronounced like 'a' in 'car'

**Please note that I have not included and will not include overly offensive and inappropriate nicknames.
    Also, the nicknames above are just a guide, not instructions. Please be aware and respectful of others' familiarity with tennis, the Tour, tennis forums, and TAT in particular, when using nicknames, in order to make the discussion accessible to everyone.

Director of Content
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

TATISMS: GENTLEMEN

Richard Gasquet a.k.a. Richie Red Shoes (RRS)
    Author: mmmm8
    I'll let the visual aid do its work:

Fernando Gonzalez a.k.a. (CS)PE

Author: Group collaboration
    CSPE stands for Clean Shaven Pretty Eyes. The magnificent run to the final of the Australian Open in 2007 showcased the "new," sleeker, smoother, better version of Fernando Gonzalez. Not only did he play great tennis, he looked better than ever as well. In fact, he did what a lot of players neglect to do. He shaved...and not just his face. The clean look allowed his nice eyes to shine through. Thus, we dubbed him CSPE.

Sadly, Fernando has forgotten how to shave as the season progressed, and the CS factor dwindled about as quickly as his quality of play. But we'll always have Australia. And his pretty eyes.

Lukáš Dlouhý a.k.a. Lukas Bleepin' Dlouhy or Bleep
    Author: MrJiggyFly2
    As you may know, TAT is a contest-friendly forum. Once upon a time, one of our staff members MrJiggyFly made a series of sensible, solid picks in several contests. Unfortunately along came Mr. Dlouhy and beat Mr. JiggyFly's solid picks.
    When possible slogans for our TATStuff were discussed , Mr. Jiggy suggested "Lukas Bleepin' Dlouhy" an expression he, no doubt, has vocalized each time the Czech had taken his pick down. The name stuck

So, when you make you prediction/pick/lineup for a tennis contest, beware of the possibility that you will be Bleeped out!

Director of Content
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

TATISMS: LADIES

Marion Bartoli a.k.a. Maid Marion
    Author: Ti-Amie
    I think this one is pretty random. But I'm pretty sure the Maid Marion in question is from Men In Tights.
    You may also see references to crepes, or the Maid Marion Cookbook. There was the below photo from Quebec 2006 (which she won), where she participated in a crepe-cooking competition. Well... given her recent weight change... it just stuck.
    The media and the WTA site have actually picked this up from a fan at 2007 Wimbledon. But we owned it first!

Kim Clijsters a.k.a. St. Kim(mie)
    Author: Hurricanejeanne
    The general opinion is that Kim is just really really nice.

Elena Dementieva a.k.a. Mentalieva
    Author: oploskoffie
    Not my favorite name. But she does seem to have trouble getting that serve right...

Gisela Dulko a.k.a. Legs
    Author: Ti-Amie
    She has them. Long ones.

Amy Frazier
    If you hang around The Dumpster long enough, you'll find out our own Bea26 runs some sort of muddy business. Word is, Amy is his bread and butter. (This is a joke)

Bethanie Mattek a.k.a. Sister B(ethanie)
    Author: Don't quite recall (let me know if someone remembers)
    All are aware of Bethanie's... umm.. bold on-court fashion choices. But Bethanie's also deeply religious. In some late night musing, one suggested we make her an honorary nun.

Amelie Mauresmo a.k.a. Mo
    Author: Catz
    This makes even more sense given the correct pronounciation stresses that particular syllable.

Anabel Medina Garrigues a.k.a. Funky Cold
    Author: Craighickman
    A Funky Cold Medina is a peach and cranberry vodka cocktail, immortalized in the 1980s Tone Lōc song of the same name.
    While perhaps not cold, Anabel has been proving she's, indeed, quite funky. For example, during Hopman Cup XIX, Anabel sang "Happy Birthday" into the stands on fans' requests

Yvonne Meusburger a.k.a. MoistBurger

Author: Jessie181
    Because when cooked right, she's totally juicy and tastes like chicken. Just kidding, her last name just sounds like that concoction.

Tamira Paszek a.k.a. Tamira and the Paszeks
    Author:a collaboration
    The 15 year old wore the below at the 2007 Australian Open. A legend was born

Anastasiya Yakimova a.k.a. The Yak
    Author:
    The Yak first made her appearance when she brought Moose's flailing body into the Indian Wells (?) SP Loser's Lounge. We tried to get her a drink, but not being sure what it is, in fact, that Yaks drink, we threw her back into the wild.

Director of Content
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Re: PLAYERS - NICKNAMES AND PRONUNCIATION

The pronounciation parts of this thread have not been updated for a while, but as a placeholder, here is a great video featuring reporters from different countries pronouncing their compatriot players' names correctly:

Pronunciation guide

(THANKS TO OOHSALMON FOR THE LINK)