Agree Agree:  5
Likes Likes:  8
Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2338444546474849 LastLast

Re: CFB THREAD CFB THREAD CFB THREAD CFB THREAD

No upsets yesterday = minimum movement in the top 25
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Two great games today. Oregon destroyed FSU 59-20. Ohio State, the team that didn't belong, defeated Alabama 42-35.

Meyer completely messed up play calling and clock at the end of the 4th quarter but that two touchdown lead made the difference.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Two great games today. Oregon destroyed FSU 59-20. Ohio State, the team that didn't belong, defeated Alabama 42-35.

Meyer completely messed up play calling and clock at the end of the 4th quarter but that two touchdown lead made the difference.
    The "vaunted" SEC West went 0-5 in bowl games. Big week for the Big Ten with Michigan hiring Harbaugh and bowl wins by OSU, MSU, and Wisconsin. The balance of power could be shifting again.
    On to the grass court season, Wimbledon, and expected riches to be found in Green Acres

Quote Originally Posted by waylandboy-tw View Post
    The "vaunted" SEC West went 0-5 in bowl games. Big week for the Big Ten with Michigan hiring Harbaugh and bowl wins by OSU, MSU, and Wisconsin. The balance of power could be shifting again.
    SEC West did win 2 bowl games but got your point overall. Yes, the Big Ten are the winners of this postseason even if Ohio State loses to Oregon.
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

Oregon Players To Be Disciplined For Mocking Jameis Winston’s Sexual Assault Allegations With “No Means No” Chant (VIDEO)

Jan 2, 2015 By Christina Coleman

A handful of Oregon football players will be disciplined for mocking Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston and the allegations of sexual assault he’s faced in the past two years.

The Ducks players, who were celebrating their win in the Rose Bowl Game, chanted “No means no!” to the tune of Florida State’s war chant.

“We are aware of the inappropriate behavior in the postgame,” coach Mark Helfrich said in a statement released by Oregon on Thursday night. “This is not what our program stands for, and the student-athletes will be disciplined internally.”

The above video, uploaded to Vine by Bear Heiser of Fox Sports West, drew criticism from fans and rivals alike.

Sophomore linebacker Torrodney Prevot and redshirt freshman Kani Benoit are both visible doing the chant, along with a third player who is wearing a “WON NOT DONE” T-shirt over his game jersey.

Reached by The Associated Press, Heiser said the video was taken on the field as Oregon players celebrated the win from a podium. He shared a longer, 27-second video with the AP that showed the chant initiated somewhere off camera. The players in the shorter video, as well as wide receiver Chance Allen, joined in.
    According to ESPN, Winston, a Heisman Trophy winner, was never charged after a woman accused him of raping her in 2012.
    Winston was also cleared of violating Florida State’s student code of conduct.

Watch the Vine above.

SOURCE: ESPN | VIDEO SOURCE: Vine

http://globalgrind.com/2015/01/02/or...source=Twitter
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

ESPN Scores Cable’s 2 Biggest Audiences Ever With College Football Semis – Update

by Patrick Hipes
    January 2, 2015 2:12pm

UPDATED, 2:10 PM: Of all the folks who are excited about finally having a playoff to decide the champion of college football, ESPN’s execs must be near the top of the list. The Worldwide Leader said this afternoon that its semifinal games of the inaugural College Football Playoff yesterday pulled the two biggest audiences in the history of cable television. Ohio State’s upset of Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, which kicked off at 9 PM ET, averaged 28.3 million viewers, a tick above the 28.2 million Oregon’s destruction of Florida State averaged in the Rose Bowl at 5 PM ET. The Sugar Bowl scored a sweet 15.2 rating; the Rose Bowl bloomed with a 14.8.

“These record-setting numbers illustrate the enormous fan interest in college football and the wide-ranging appeal of the new College Football Playoff format,” said John Wildhack, EVP Programming and Production at ESPN.

(...)

The early game Thursday, Oregon’s 59-20 thrashing of Florida State in the Rose Bowl, averaged a 15.5 metered market rating — despite the most lopsided score in the game’s history. The primetime game that saw Ohio State upset Alabama 42-35 in a down-to-the-wire finish in the Sugar Bowl drew a 15.3 MM rating — despite the late finish on the East Coast. Both are record numbers for New Year’s Day games on ESPN’s networks; the Rose Bowl at 5 PM ET was up 38% over last year’s comparable time slot game, and the Sugar Bowl was up 125%.

Oregon and Ohio State meet in the College Football Playoff title game January 12 on ESPN.

ESPN went all in to nab rights to the playoff games, securing a 12-year deal worth a reported $470M annually and $5.6B-plus through the 2026 bowl season.

http://deadline.com/2015/01/college-...pn-1201339700/

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    SEC West did win 2 bowl games but got your point overall. Yes, the Big Ten are the winners of this postseason even if Ohio State loses to Oregon.
    Big Ten perhaps has outperformed their perception the most, but hard not to see the Pac-12 as the winners of the postseason (wish it weren't my Arizona team as the only one in the conference who lost though!).

Baylor Fires Football Coach Art Briles and Demotes President Kenneth Starr
    By MARC TRACY MAY 26, 2016

Kenneth Starr, the independent counsel who delivered a report that served as the basis for President Bill Clinton’s impeachment in 1998, was demoted on Thursday by Baylor University, where he had served as president and chancellor, after an investigation found “fundamental failure” by the university in its handling of accusations of sexual assault against football players.

The university also fired Art Briles, the successful coach of the football team for the past eight seasons, an extraordinary step for a university that has amassed millions of dollars in revenue from big-time football in recent years.

Starr was stripped of his title as university president but will remain Baylor’s chancellor. Baylor’s athletic director, Ian McCaw, was sanctioned and placed on probation.

The internal report described a culture of noncompliance in which Baylor did not heed federal statutes, including Title IX and the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2013. At least two former Baylor players have been convicted of sexual assault in the past few years, and the investigation concluded that the university had been slow to look into accusations of sexual assault by athletes — in one case waiting more than two years — and in fact had retaliated against at least one accuser.

“Actions by University administrators directly discouraged some complainants from reporting or participating in student conduct processes and in one instance constituted retaliation against a complainant for reporting sexual assault,” the report said.

Briles, a Texas lifer who had previously been Houston’s head coach, installed an unorthodox, wide-open offense at Baylor and built the Bears, historically a football also-ran in a state dominated by larger neighbors Texas and Texas A&M, into a powerhouse. During Briles’s tenure, quarterback Robert Griffin III won the Heisman Trophy in 2011, a first for a Baylor players, and the team won or shared the Big 12 title in 2013 and 2014.

Starr, who previously served as solicitor general and a federal judge before taking on the Clinton case, has been credited with raising hundreds of millions of dollars for Baylor, the country’s largest Baptist university, in part by yoking its fortunes to football. Specifically, much fund-raising was centered around building a gleaming new on-campus field, McLane Stadium, which opened in 2014, the same year that Starr added the title of chancellor to his role as president.

But over the past several years, several Baylor football players have been accused or convicted of sexual assault, and critics have accused Baylor of sacrificing moral considerations — and the safety of other students — for the sake of its winning football team.

The scandal took on a new dimension nearly a year ago, when a former football player, Sam Ukwuachu, was convicted of sexually assaulting another Baylor athlete and sentenced to six months in jail. During the trial, a former girlfriend of Ukwuachu testified that he had assaulted her several years earlier, when he had been a football player at Boise State. Baylor denied that it had been apprised of Ukwuachu’s history; Boise State disputed that denial.

The Ukwuachu case came a year after Tevin Elliott, a former Baylor player, was convicted of sexually assaulting a Baylor freshman. Two other Baylor students testified that Elliott also had sexually assaulted them. He was sentenced to 20 years in prison.

After Ukwuachu’s conviction, Starr chose a Baylor’s faculty athletics representative, a former federal prosecutor, to lead an inquiry into the university’s handling of Ukwuachu. A week later, based on that probe, Starr recommended that Baylor’s board hire outside lawyers to conduct another investigation.

Soon Baylor announced that the university’s board of regents had retained two attorneys from the law firm Pepper Hamilton to conduct a “thorough and independent and external investigation.”

Subsequent news reports have found several other allegations of sexual assault by Baylor athletes, including one against two players that Baylor did not investigate for more than two years.

The Baylor scandal has deepened amid a climate of national debate and sensitivity to violence against women on college campuses. One subplot of that debate, which has played out at colleges across the country, has been whether athletes in big-time sports like football and basketball are afforded favorable treatment when accused of sexual misconduct by universities and communities that come together to support and protect successful and popular teams.

In a February letter to the Baylor community, Starr wrote: “Our hearts break for those whose lives are impacted by execrable acts of sexual violence. No one should have to endure the trauma of these terrible acts of wrongdoing. We must never lose sight of the long-term, deeply personal effects such contemptible conduct has on the lives of survivors.

“Let me be clear: Sexual violence emphatically has no place whatsoever at Baylor University.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/27/sp...740252&ref=cta

Your daily dose of Doublespeak, this time via the NCAA

NCAA‏Verified account
    @NCAA

Committee on Infractions could not conclude North Carolina violated NCAA rules:

I have a comment on the thing just posted by Ti. I went 8 years to ACC schools, all in the 1970's. During my med school years (at UNC), I would have to say that I had little contact with student athletes. But I had considerable contact with student athletes as an undergrad in many situations. At that time, I never doubted for one second that a fairly large amount of "help" was being given to the scholarship athletes (and mostly I think this applied to the 2 really big sports, men's football and basketball). I saw all sorts of evidence that they were getting credit for far more work than they ever did. Some of them skated right along with what seemed like minimal effort. I also knew some incredibly good student athletes, but all of the ones about whom I could personally say this were in "minor" sports (men's tennis, men's swimming, and women's basketball).

My bottom line is that I felt that there was pretty clear evidence that most of the athletes in those 2 "major" sports were getting work done for them, were getting grades they never deserved, and were having curricula worked out for them that required less work. And that was 40+ years ago. I don't want to think badly of my alma mater, but there was way too much smoke in this area for there not to be fire. So I am surprised at the fact that UNC is now getting off on these charges.

GH

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Based on what you said Glenn...I am not at all surprised that they got off.

I agree. If you get away with it for decades, why not still?

Oopsies! Clemson may have accidentally given football players PEDs
    By MARK FISCHER
    FEB 09, 2019 | 11:10 PM

Well, it definitely wasn’t the “hamberders.”

Fabled Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney is still perplexed as to how three of his players tested positive for Ostarine, a banned performance enhancement drug that cost the trio — Dexter Lawrence, Braden Galloway and Zach Giella — an opportunity to play in the College Football Playoff.

Swinney tossed an intriguing explanation to the masses on Saturday, saying Clemson’s football program could even be at fault for the controversy.

"Oh yeah, I mean, there’s a chance that it could come from anything,” Swinney told The Post and Courier when asked whether there’s a chance Clemson could have accidentally given the drug to its players as part of an approved substance. “They’re going to test everything and look at everything. And that’s the problem. As you really look at this stuff, it could be a contaminant that came from anything, that was something that was cleared and not a problem, and all of a sudden, it becomes there was something."

ESPN reported in January that there had been other instances outside the South Carolina university in which Ostarine was being used in supplements without being included on the label, falling in line with the the theme of Swinney's comments.

“You can research articles, there are a lot of times when things are cleared and end up having a contaminant in it because of where it was processed, the factory it came from, whether there were other things there, “Swinney said. “So there’s a lot of that. There’s a case out there that there was a contaminant at a testing lab. There are lots of different things and the legal people are involved in that.”

All three players were also suspended for the entire 2019 season, though Lawrence already declared for the NFL draft and is a potential late first-rounder. Clemson is in the middle of appealing the NCAA’s punishment.

"We get tested regularly, and we know not to do anything stupid or selfish like that," Lawrence said amid learning his fate. "That's why this is such a shock."

At least we can absolve Trump’s fast-food bash, that came after Clemson’s demolition of Alabama in the title game, of blame.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...209-story.html

Disclaimer: I am not a football fan at all...I rarely post anything on our football threads, and nothing at all that has to do with the game itself. And this note will not be specific to football, but here goes:

Despite my age, I'm a student at Wright State University. Today is the 20th day of a faculty union strike that has all but crippled the campus for this semester. There are many issues, all of which can be tied back to the fact that the university is all but bankrupt. And that occurred due to some amazingly bad decisions affecting spending on the part of the administration. Yet, the administration has succeeded largely in making the faculty look like the bad guys in all this.

One of the points of contention is that, despite lacking money to pay faculty, the U is still spending a fortune on its basketball program, which, unlike at some schools, is in no way a money-maker.

With that background, I read yesterday in the Dayton newspaper an article about the pay of the football coaches at Clemson. I know they are national champions and all that. But the head coach makes $6.75 million per year. THREE of the assistant coaches make over $1 million per year, of whom the best paid makes $2.2 million. All of those salaries are, at a minimum, 10 times what I think they should be.

At Wright State, the basketball coach makes $500,000 per year, and this program does not bring in the money to justify that (not even close), so the extra is coming out of the pot that would pay chemistry professors.

As a current student, and as someone who thinks he understands what the priorities of universities should be, I am beyond appalled at the salaries I have just mentioned. I know this is not thinking in the reality of the current world, but my opinion is this: At the absolute maximum, a college coach should be paid the top salary obtainable by a full professor at the school. As a college president, I would allow for "stipends" to compensate for time spent traveling, but the base salary could never be higher than that. In today's world, my theoretical college would not be competitive with the big sports programs, but so be it.

I'm sick of sitting at a school where the faculty haven't gotten a raise in 5 years, and have been offered a contract that amounts to losing all sorts of benefits and agreeing to a program of "furlough days", which would, in essence, be a way to lower faculty pay by giving them unpaid mandatory time off. The administration got them here. But let's not lower the cash flow to basketball!!!

GH

So in other words the coaches at big name colleges and universities are making too much money to "accidentally" give players PED's. Add to that the players are "amateur/scholar athletes" and aren't supposed to be paid.

Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2338444546474849 LastLast