Agree Agree:  6
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 52 12345112651 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kitchen

The Kitchen

On Ti-Amie's advice, and using Peter's inspiring idea of expanding our TAT home outside of just "The Living Room," we now have "The kitchen." ;D

Now, to pick up where we left off, Ti, I agree about Ina and the salt...and the butter. She's one of those rare finds on the Food Network who, like Paula, certainly isn't claiming to count any calories or make any so-called "healthy meals."

I've taken inspiration from all the Food Network regulars with the exception of Giada De Laurentiis. I guess I just don't get the opportunity to catch her show as much.

jj
    Blue Steel

Re: The Kitchen

I LOVE Giada!!! She meets my standards - her recipe's work. She did a nice spin on a tuna melt and I have to start buying tuna again for those nights when I come home too tired to cook. I make her baked rigatoni with bechamel sauce all the time and use her risotto recipes. I call her "Lollypop Head" but others call her "Little Big Head".

I also finally found a Tyler Florence recipe I can use. I made his rib roast with horseradish crust this weekend and it was excellent!

I used to like Rachael but she creeps me out now.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

I barbequed baby back ribs today outside in the middle of winter.

It was 45 degrees.

I love Top Chef. Great ideas.

Who says there's no such thing as global warming? It was almost 60 today in NYC.

I haven't watched "Top Chef" yet. I love Lidia but she doesn't put her recipes on line. I made the traditional pork, black eyed peas and rice and spinach instead of greens for New Years. My ex brought over some Haitian New Year's Soup as well. My pork recipe is one I got from Emeril. I love it.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie
    Who says there's no such thing as global warming? It was almost 60 today in NYC.

I haven't watched "Top Chef" yet. I love Lidia but she doesn't put her recipes on line. I made the traditional pork, black eyed peas and rice and spinach instead of greens for New Years. My ex brought over some Haitian New Year's Soup as well. My pork recipe is one I got from Emeril. I love it.
    I haven't done black-eyed peas and rice in years.

We always fight on New Year's Eve/Day

Sorry to hear that Craig. This is the recipe I used for my rib roast.

Roast Prime Rib of Beef with Horseradish Crust
    Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence
    This is truly the anti-vegetarian dish. Prime rib is one of those classics you can pull out that will always blow people away. It's a good special occasion dish, so good that the occasion may be nothing at all. When ordering the rib roast from a butcher, be sure to request a "top choice" roast cut from the small loin end, the best being ribs 12 through 10. Have the butcher cut off the chine (backbone) to make carving easier. The rib bones look best if they are shortened and frenched (the butcher will be happy to do this for you as well, unless he's a sourpuss, in which case get a new butcher).

1 (3-rib) prime rib beef roast, about 6 pounds
    5 garlic cloves, smashed
    1/4 cup prepared horseradish
    Needles from 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
    Leaves from 4 fresh thyme sprigs
    1/2 cup sea salt
    1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    2 carrots, cut in chunks
    2 parsnips
    1 red onions, halved
    1 head garlic, halved

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lay the beef in a large roasting pan with the bone side down. (The ribs act as a natural roasting rack.)

In a small bowl mash together the garlic, horseradish, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, and olive oil to make a paste. Massage the paste generously over the entire roast. Scatter the vegetables around the meat and drizzle them with a 2-count of oil. Put the pan in the oven and roast the beef for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours for medium-rare (or approximately 20 minutes per pound). Check the internal temperature of the roast in several places with an instant-read thermometer; it should register 125 degrees F. for medium-rare. Remove the beef to a carving board and let it rest for 20 minutes. The internal temperature of the meat will continue to rise by about 10 degrees. Remove the vegetables and set aside. Pour the pan juices into a fat separator or small bowl and set aside to allow the fat and beef juices to separate. Pour off and discard the fat. You can use the tasty beef juices for Sauteed Mushrooms.

Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Easy
    Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Inactive Prep Time: 20 minutes
    Cook Time: 2 hours
    Yield: 6 to 8 servings
    User Rating: 4 Stars

Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

All this talk of food is making me hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie
    Sorry to hear that Craig.
    Marriage.

Oops. Wrong thread.

I put my foot in a cheesecake though.

Quote Originally Posted by craighickman
    Oops. Wrong thread.

I put my foot in a cheesecake though.

Anything I bake can be used as a door stop or a hockey puck.

LOL. I love to bake. Learned very young how to make pastries.

Someone on Food Network explained once that baking requires precision in measurements. Cooking, not so much.

Hey, I love Top Chef too. Elia seems to far and away have the most talent. I would have been interested to see who they sent home had Mia not left to "save" Elia.

I see the final four as being something like: Elia, Cliff, Sam, and Marcel.

And Ti, would you happen to have the rigatoni recipe archived? That one sounds great.

jj
    Blue Steel

Baked Rigatoni with Bechamel Sauce
    Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
    Bechamel sauce:
    1 stick unsalted butter (4 ounces)
    1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 quart whole milk, at room temperature
    Pinch fresh nutmeg
    Sea salt and white pepper
    1 cup grated fontina
    1/2 pound thinly sliced prosciutto, julienned
    1 pound dry rigatoni
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Bechamel sauce:
    In a 2 quart saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes. Always stirring, gradually add the milk and continue to whisk until the sauce is smooth and creamy. Simmer until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. This will take approximately 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in nutmeg, 1/2 cup fontina, prosciutto and season with salt and white pepper. Set aside.

In a large pot, bring to a boil 6 quarts of salted water. Add the rigatoni and cook for about 5 minutes. Since you will be cooking the pasta a second time in the oven, you want to make sure the inside is still hard. Drain in a colander. Return pasta to the pot and pour in bechamel sauce. Using a wooden spoon, mix well until all the pasta is coated with the sauce.

Into a greased 13 by 9-inch baking dish, pour the pasta with cream sauce. Smooth out top and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup fontina. Dot the top with diced butter and bake in oven for 25 minutes or until bubbling and the top is golden brown.

Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Medium
    Prep Time: 25 minutes
    Cook Time: 30 minutes
    Yield: 6 servings
    User Rating: 5 Stars

Episode#: EI1A03
    Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

That sounds awesome, Ti. I've never had rigatoni with fontina bechamel -- only the traditional marinara sauce and ricotta. I'll be trying that one pretty soon. I'll be sure to get back to you with the results.

jj
    Blue Steel

Page 1 of 52 12345112651 ... LastLast