Likes Likes:  9
Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891530 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kitchen

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Re: The Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by craighickman View Post
    Pan gravy and fried tomatoes is overkill.

I like fried red ones, too.

How do you like your fresh squash? Which kind to you prefer?

I love butternut squash the most. But of the summer variety, it's neck-and-neck between zucchini and yellow summer squash.

Back when I used to spend my summers on a dacha in a Russian village where we had a garden (past life), my mom used to take our squash, slice it into thin little slices and fry it in vegetable/sunflower oil. The only way I found squash edible. She did the same with eggplant, but it was too much with the oil and the natural fatty taste of the eggplant

I like green tomatoes fresh or marinated

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    Back when I used to spend my summers on a dacha in a Russian village where we had a garden (past life), my mom used to take our squash, slice it into thin little slices and fry it in vegetable/sunflower oil. The only way I found squash edible. She did the same with eggplant, but it was too much with the oil and the natural fatty taste of the eggplant

No flour or seasoning on the squash/eggplant? Sounds pure.

What do you marinate your green tomatoes in?

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by craighickman View Post
    No flour or seasoning on the squash/eggplant? Sounds pure.

What do you marinate your green tomatoes in?

Come to think of it, there was a little flour. Just enough to prevent from sticking. It still came out clean squash, not breaded.

The marinated tomotoes we had were storebought. Vinegar + salt + sugar as far as I remember (and water, obviously). And bay leaf. I think people put pepper in sometimes. I only like the pepper in marinated red tomatoes, though.

I prefer yellow squash and zucchini breaded and fried. My grandmother used to make what she called squash pie, but it had a sweet flavor. I know she added brown sugar and I think cinnamon and maybe a little fresh nutmeg. Then she would make a pastry and bake it like a pie. Now if it's butternut squash, I really enjoy it as a casserole. I usually only see butternut at the holidays though.

Is there one food that you wish you liked more? For me it was always sweet potatoes. I was never a fan, but everyone in my family is crazy for them. I can eat the traditional sweet with marshmallows variety, but for the most part I always pass.

jj
    Blue Steel

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by jjnow View Post
    I prefer yellow squash and zucchini breaded and fried. My grandmother used to make what she called squash pie, but it had a sweet flavor. I know she added brown sugar and I think cinnamon and maybe a little fresh nutmeg. Then she would make a pastry and bake it like a pie. Now if it's butternut squash, I really enjoy it as a casserole. I usually only see butternut at the holidays though.

Is there one food that you wish you liked more? For me it was always sweet potatoes. I was never a fan, but everyone in my family is crazy for them. I can eat the traditional sweet with marshmallows variety, but for the most part I always pass.
    jj
    I can't make myself eat mushrooms. When I was younger, my parents for some reason felt I needed to eat mushrooms, and would trick me into it.

And out of all of seafood, I'll only eat fish.

So, yeah.

I like sweet potatoes, though

jj
    hmm interesting.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE SWEET POTATOES!! mmmm

damn you all again! I'm hungry again..and I just ate!

I always open this right after I've eaten. you all are the DEVIL'S MINIONS!
    Y'all just want to fatten me up.

I try to avoid tomatoes or anything made of them, if at all possible. My mother says I ate too much as a child (my parents had them in a garden). Also no way anyone would trick me into eating snails or mollusks... Other than that I am ready for anything reasonable
    Roger forever

I can't make myself eat mushrooms. When I was younger, my parents for some reason felt I needed to eat mushrooms, and would trick me into it.

So, yeah.

I've never found a mushroom that has a particularly strong taste. I always hear them described as "meaty," but I fail to see the connection.

Not even crab (re: the seafood)? I just finished watching Throwdown with Bobby Flay. He went to Maine and challenged a man to a crab cake throwdown. Yum. I watched the whole thing and then got distracted on TAT and missed who ended up winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie181 View Post
    damn you all again! I'm hungry again..and I just ate!
    Eat again.

jj
    Blue Steel

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I've never found a mushroom that has a particularly strong taste. I always hear them described as "meaty," but I fail to see the connection.

Not even crab (re: the seafood)? I just finished watching Throwdown with Bobby Flay. He went to Maine and challenged a man to a crab cake throwdown. Yum. I watched the whole thing and then got distracted on TAT and missed who ended up winning.
    jj
    LOL, no, not even crab. I'll eat mostly any types of fish in any preparation other than raw, or fish parts (like caviar), but nothing else that lives in the water (except algae, I guess)

Sorry about Bobby Flay and his crab cakes

I never could stand Bobby Flay but since his marriage he seems to have toned himself down. If I want to prepare a particular cut of meat I always look up his recipes.

I would like to have seen his crab cakes. I love crab meat and lobster tail. I refuse to eat a whole lobster or crab. You shouldn't have to work that hard to eat.

I refuse to eat mussels and oysters.

My mother used to force us to eat squash. I eat zucchini from time to time but that is it.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I tried oysters in France for the first time this year - have to say I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I love mussels - as does my 5 year old daughter!

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Butternut squash is the only type of squash I like - I toss it in oil and spices (chile, cumin and oregano) and roast it - yummy!

So, yeah.

Sweet potatoes are the staple of life. I can make anything under the sun out of a sweet potato, even vegetarian meat steaks.

And they're really nutritious, too.
    Last edited by craighickman; 08-20-2007 at 07:28 AM.

Eat again.

jj
    A giant portabella is meaty. Marinate it in hickory smoke and worcestershire with fresh cracked pepper, put it a a flaming grill, and voila, you've got a veggie steak.

Quote Originally Posted by morct View Post
    I tried oysters in France for the first time this year - have to say I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I love mussels - as does my 5 year old daughter!
    I acquired a taste for mussels, and I now love them, but I couldn't stand them at first.

Same with oysters. Wellfleet oysters off the coast of Maine are big and sweet. And they are so good for you because of all the zinc they contain. If you are ever catching a cold, eat a few servings of oysters (raw, baked, fried, no matter) and you won't catch a cold.

Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891530 ... LastLast