Agree Agree:  6
Likes Likes:  10
Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 12345671328 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kitchen

TATChat Moderator hurricanejeanne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: The Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by jjnow
    [quote author=hurricanejeanne link=1167713041/15#28 date=1167737672][quote author=jjnow link=1167713041/0#14 date=1167716449]That sounds awesome, Ti. I've never had rigatoni with fontina bechamel -- only the traditional marinara sauce and ricotta. I'll be trying that one pretty soon. I'll be sure to get back to you with the results.

jj
    ooooh pasta *drools*
    I cannot cook to save my life. I need someone to lead me through the whole process or do it for me.
    This thread reminds me to get the recipe for our spaghetti sauce from my dad on here. I gotta remember to do that. [/quote]
    One of these days, Jeanne, when I get brave enough, I'm going to try making my own pasta. I've seen a few people do it (on TV), and it doesn't look like rocket science. That being said, everything looks easier when an expert does it.

jj[/quote]

It doesn't look like rocket science, but like you said when you have someone who knows what they're doing then it's a different ballgame.
    That day you get brave enough, let us know. We'll coach you through it. And if you need a taste tester I'm always here. ;D
    There's a room where the light won't find you
    Holding hands while the walls come tumbling down
    When they do
    I'll be right behind you

Blog Entries

The Meatless Spaghetti Sauce Recipe

Notes: This is the recipe my dad uses when we can sauce in the summertime (we grow a lot of tomatoes).
    And we do add meat to it later, but don't when canning.
    It can be made fresh and used too.

You will need:
    16 lbs ripe tomatoes
    1 c. chopped onions
    4 tblsp. olive oil
    1 tblsp. canning/pickling salt
    1/4 tsp. black pepper
    12 tsp. ground bay leaves
    2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 tsp. garlic powder)
    1 tsp. basil leaves
    1 tsp. oregano leaves
    1/2 tsp. parsley leaves
    2 tblsp. brown sugar

**The brown sugar is the "secret". In your over-the-counter sauces, this isn't in it. It makes the sauce sweeter.

-Dip tomatoes into boiling water for 1/2 minute to loosen skin. Cool in cold water. Drain. Remove skins and cores; quarter
    -In 12 qt. kettle, saute onions in olive oil until translucent (do not brown). Pour in tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Simmer. Uncovered for 20 minutes.
    -Put through sieve or food milk. Return juice to kettle, adding remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until thick and mixture rounds on a spoon.

**this next bit is for when canning**
    -Poor into 3 hot pint jars, filling to within 1/4" of jar top. Wipe jar rim; adjust lids.
    -Process in boiling water bath for 20 minutes. Start to count processing time when water in canner returns to boiling. Remove jars and complete seals unless closures are self sealing type.

Makes 3 pints.

YUM! ;D
    When they do
    I'll be right behind you

Thanks, Jeanne. I might just try that if I get myself some fresh tomatoes this summer.

jj
    Blue Steel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jjnow
    Thanks, Jeanne. I might just try that if I get myself some fresh tomatoes this summer.

jj
    Please do.
    When we make is we cook it our slow cooker (the thing we cook turkey in) and I can literally eat it like soup it's so good.
    When they do
    I'll be right behind you

Okay Food Network addicts (Ti, didge, Scotty, etc.), here's a quiz to test your knowledge of TV's greatest channel. I managed 7 out of 10.

http://television.aol.com/tv-trivia-...twork-tv-shows

jj
    Blue Steel

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

HA! I got 8 out of 10.

I couldn't believe that Le Cordon Bleu let Giada de Laurentis in, and I didn't know the book came first with the Barefoot Contessa. I just see her continuing to invite single women over for dinner ....

S

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

3 out of 10! All lucky guesses.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hurricanejeanne View Post
    The Meatless Spaghetti Sauce Recipe

Notes: This is the recipe my dad uses when we can sauce in the summertime (we grow a lot of tomatoes).
    And we do add meat to it later, but don't when canning.
    It can be made fresh and used too.

You will need:
    16 lbs ripe tomatoes
    1 c. chopped onions
    4 tblsp. olive oil
    1 tblsp. canning/pickling salt
    1/4 tsp. black pepper
    12 tsp. ground bay leaves
    2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 tsp. garlic powder)
    1 tsp. basil leaves
    1 tsp. oregano leaves
    1/2 tsp. parsley leaves
    2 tblsp. brown sugar

**The brown sugar is the "secret". In your over-the-counter sauces, this isn't in it. It makes the sauce sweeter.

-Dip tomatoes into boiling water for 1/2 minute to loosen skin. Cool in cold water. Drain. Remove skins and cores; quarter
    -In 12 qt. kettle, saute onions in olive oil until translucent (do not brown). Pour in tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Simmer. Uncovered for 20 minutes.
    -Put through sieve or food milk. Return juice to kettle, adding remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until thick and mixture rounds on a spoon.

**this next bit is for when canning**
    -Poor into 3 hot pint jars, filling to within 1/4" of jar top. Wipe jar rim; adjust lids.
    -Process in boiling water bath for 20 minutes. Start to count processing time when water in canner returns to boiling. Remove jars and complete seals unless closures are self sealing type.

Makes 3 pints.

YUM! ;D
    You know, you actually can make a really nifty meatless spaghetti sauce in a jif by using canned stewed or diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste, along with diced onions and bell peppers, whole button mushrooms and fresh basil. (And you get even skimp further my using dried basil. Seriously.)

It is SO much easier, and it tastes great.

And it's cheaper. When I get the chance, I'll commit it to paper.

But I have to say, real spaghetti sauce has to have SOME kind of dead animal in it...

Dry

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    3 out of 10! All lucky guesses.

5 out of 10! And all of mine we guesses (except for the obvious Rachel Ray question and the one to which Scotty (?) already gave the answer)

And I've watched about 2 hours of Food Network coverage in my life

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    HA! I got 8 out of 10.

I couldn't believe that Le Cordon Bleu let Giada de Laurentis in, and I didn't know the book came first with the Barefoot Contessa. I just see her continuing to invite single women over for dinner ....

S
    Yep, de Laurentiis scorned me. I went with Johnson & Wales. I would never have thought Le Cordon Bleu.

I knew that Ina wrote the book first, and I knew it was named for her store because I see her visit it all the time on the show. As for the friends always coming over, I think she must have a monopoly on single women and gay men in the Hamptons. As didge once eloquently put it, "She's such a hag!"

And come on, Kirkus. 3 of 10? Food Network is where it's at, my friend.

jj
    Blue Steel

7 out of 10. Damn Bobby Flay and Paula Deen's sons.
    Nice quiz.

Don't forget Giada's last name. Some people don't like "Lollipop Head" or as she's called on some boards "Little Big Head" but her recipes work. It kills me that she makes these rich foods and doesn't gain an ounce. Her recipe "Pollo Frito" is my fried chicken recipe now.

Pollo Frito
    Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis See this recipe on air Thursday May. 03 at 1:30 PM ET/PT.
    Show: Everyday Italian
    Episode: Italian Southern Comfort
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (2 to3 lemons, depending on size)
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 (3 1/2-pound) whole frying chicken, cut into 8 pieces
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 cups olive oil (approximate amount)
    1 cup all-purpose flour (approximate amount)
    Lemon wedges, for garnish
    6 sprigs fresh Italian parsley, for garnish

In a large casserole dish, whisk the lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, and salt to blend. Add the chicken pieces and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 1 day, turning the chicken pieces occasionally.
    In a large cast iron frying pan or other heavy frying pan, add enough oil to come 1/3-inch up the sides of the pan. Heat the oil over medium heat. Meanwhile, drain the marinade from the chicken. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with pepper. Working in 2 batches, dredge the chicken in the flour to coat completely. Shake off the excess flour and then carefully add the chicken to the hot oil. Fry until the chicken is golden brown and just cooked through, turning occasionally, about 25 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the chicken to a paper towel-lined plate to drain the excess oil.

Arrange the fried chicken on a warm platter and serve with the lemon wedges and parsley.
    Other Recipes from this Episode
    Dirty RisottoPanettone Bread Pudding with Amaretto Sauce
    You see that Panettone Bread Pudding? She makes stuff like that.

Note: I don't use salt. I use Paula's House seasoning minus the salt. Equal parts of onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper. Then I toss in a dash of Colman's Mustard, Cayenne and whatever strikes my fancy to spice it up.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Just WATCHING Paula Deen cook makes my arteries harden. I love that someone once gave her a sculpture of her head, carved in butter.

That woman would put butter on butter.

Who was it that was after Scharffen Berger? They're out here in the Bay Area ... cute little shop where you can taste "single-origin" chocoates, even. But they were recently bought by Hershey, so I imagine their wares will become much more convenient to purchase soon.
    Their stuff is much better than Ghirardelli, and in a whole different universe than that brown wax Hershey calls chocolate.

And I only find Giada mildly annoying ... how she busts out an Italian accent for Italian words.
    The truly useless one is Sandra what's-her-name, who I mocked a few months ago on another thread.
    S

mmmm8 is my hero!
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

ok dont mean to upstage ya'll

but i got 10 of 10!

I can't stand her either. My daughter watched her story on "Chefography" and said she's had a rough life and battles alcoholism. While my child is telling me this she's using vanilla extract, brandy and god knows what other alcoholic beverage during the show we're watching.
    Guess I'll call her Sandrababy.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

I love to read Sandra Lee's reviews on the FN website. People write things like, "Why does she still have a show!?"

jj
    Blue Steel

Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 12345671328 ... LastLast