Agree Agree:  5
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 1234561227 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kitchen

Re: The Kitchen

I tried this out at a Christmas dinner thing...the densest cheesecake I've ever had. Almost went into a coma. Scharffen Berger chocolate - I tracked it down.

Not everyone likes this kind of thing. 4 pkgs. of cream cheese.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...s/views/236209

Quote Originally Posted by jjnow
    That sounds awesome, Ti. I've never had rigatoni with fontina bechamel -- only the traditional marinara sauce and ricotta. I'll be trying that one pretty soon. I'll be sure to get back to you with the results.

jj

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Louche
    I tried this out at a Christmas dinner thing...the densest cheesecake I've ever had. Almost went into a coma. Scharffen Berger chocolate - I tracked it down.

Perfect cardiac alert dinner: This pork recipe with your cheesecake as dessert.

Carnitas Soft Tacos with Guacamole and Pico de Gallo
    Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2003
    3 pounds thick, meaty country style pork ribs, pork butt or pork shoulder
    2 pounds lard, or enough to cover the meat
    1/4 cup water
    1 orange, zest removed with a vegetable peeler in wide strips
    1 lime, zest removed with a vegetable peeler in wide strips
    3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
    1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
    12 soft corn tortillas
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    Guacamole, accompaniment, recipe follows
    Emeril's Pico de Gallo, accompaniment, recipe follows

Trim most of the fat from the meat, leaving a thin layer. Cut into 4-inch pieces.

In a large, heavy saucepan, melt the lard over medium-low heat. When it has melted but is not yet very hot, add the pork, water, orange zest, lime zest, garlic, and salt. Cook at a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally so that the meat evenly cooks, for about 2 hours, or until the meat is tender. If the meat needs more time and all of the water has evaporated, add a bit more water and continue to cook until the meat is tender.

Once the meat is tender, raise the heat to medium-high. (Don't panic if the lard comes to a rolling boil - this will diminish as the water evaporates and will become small bubbles.) After the boiling lard changes to small bubbles, cook the meat for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until light golden brown and crispy all over. Remove the meat with a slotted spoon or tongs and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with the salt. When the meat has cooled slightly, pull the meat apart using 2 forks into shreds and smaller pieces and discard the bones.

To heat the tortillas, heat a medium skillet over low heat. Place the oil in a small dish and before placing in the pan, brush both sides of each tortilla with 1/2 teaspoon of the oil. Place the oiled tortilla in the skillet and cook until just warm and soft, 2 to 5 seconds per side. Remove from the heat, place on a plate and cover with a cloth to keep warm until ready to serve.

To serve, make the tacos with the meat and warm tortillas, and garnish with the guacamole and pico de gallo.

Guacamole:
    2 large, firm--ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1/4 cup minced white onions
    2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, or more to taste
    1 teaspoon minced serrano chile
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Pinch cayenne

In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and mash with the back of a fork until mostly smooth with a few chunks. Adjust the seasoning, to taste, and serve.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings (about 2 cups)

Emeril's Pico de Gallo:
    1 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes, cored, seeded and diced
    3/4 cup finely chopped white onion
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    2 tablespoons minced, seeded jalapeno or serrano chiles (about 2 medium)
    1 teaspoon minced garlic clove
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Pinch cayenne

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Cover and allow to rest at room temperature for 1 hour for the flavors to blend.

Yield: about 3 cups

Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Medium
    Prep Time: 30 minutes
    Cook Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
    Yield: 4 to 6 servings (makes 3 1/2 to 4 cups shredded meat)
    User Rating: 5 Stars

Episode#: EM1G39
    Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Where did you find the Scharffen Berger chocolate? Did you have to go to a specialty store?

I couldn't do it. Way too much for me. I bet mother would have loved it though. Her worst nightmare has got to be diabetes.

A good dessert pie I found a couple of years ago from Michele Scicolone was a ricotta-pineapple pie. Don't know if any of you watch The Sopranos, but a couple of years ago they put out a cookbook themed toward the show with traditional Italian-American recipes seen feature throughout the first three seasons. In one episode, Carmella "courts" her neighbor's sister into writing a recommendation letter for her daughter to go to Columbia Uni. She supposedly bakes her this pie, and it's one of the recipes featured in the book. I love it.

jj
    Blue Steel

This is really silly, but I ordered it online. I'm sure any good chocolate would work. It was only my second try at a cheesecake, so I didn't want to mess it up. :-/

This is really silly, but I ordered it online. I'm sure any good chocolate would work. It was only my second try at a cheesecake, so I didn't want to mess it up. :-/
    Not silly at all. I've got a batch of "Hungarian Sweet Paprika" coming in any day.

Damn these small towns.

jj
    Blue Steel

Not a problem. I wanted to try Serrano Ham and ordered it from Williams-Sonoma. We foodies do what we have to do.

That cheesecake looks decadent and I'm sure you put your foot in it, but I don't like anything dense. I like my cheesecakes light as cotton candy.

That pork recipe sounds so good....I can almost taste it.

jj, I made a plain ricotta pie with just lemon zest for flavor. We have an Italian cheese company here in town. They make fresh cheese everyday. Fresh mozarella and ricotta.

Pie was kinda dull, though. Pineapple would definitely help.

I love it either way. Depends on my mood. Anyone got a source for black/squid ink pasta? I went to Todaro's the other day and they didn't have it. It's now a staple in good Italian restaurants in NYC.

Okay, courtesy of Michele Scicolone. Definitely try it if you get the chance.

Ricotta-Pineapple Pie

1 TBSP unsalted butter, softened
    1/4 cup fine graham cracker crumbs
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 TBSP cornstarch
    15-ounce container of ricotta
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1 TSP grated lemon zest
    1 TSP vanilla extract

FOR THE TOPPING:
    One 20-ounce can crushed pineapples in syrup
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 TBSP cornstarch
    2 TSP fresh lemon juice

1. Preheat oven to 350. Spread butter over bottom and sides of 9-inch pie pan or springform pan. Add the crumbs, turning pan to coat the bottom and sides.

2. In a large bowl, stir together sugar and cornstarch. Add ricotta, eggs, cream, lemon zest, and vanilla and beat until smooth. Pour mix into prepared pan.

3. Bake for 50 minutes, or until pie is set around edges but center is still slightly soft. Cool to room temp. on wire rack.

4. To make topping, drain pineapple well, reserving 1/2 cup of liquid. In a medium saucepan, stir together sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the 1/2 cup of pineapple juice and the lemon juice. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Add the pineapple. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.

5. Spread the pineapple mix over the pie. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.

jj
    Blue Steel

Thanks. Copied, pasted and printed.

TATChat Moderator hurricanejeanne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jjnow
    That sounds awesome, Ti. I've never had rigatoni with fontina bechamel -- only the traditional marinara sauce and ricotta. I'll be trying that one pretty soon. I'll be sure to get back to you with the results.

jj
    ooooh pasta *drools*
    I cannot cook to save my life. I need someone to lead me through the whole process or do it for me.
    This thread reminds me to get the recipe for our spaghetti sauce from my dad on here. I gotta remember to do that.
    There's a room where the light won't find you
    Holding hands while the walls come tumbling down
    When they do
    I'll be right behind you

Quote Originally Posted by hurricanejeanne
    [quote author=jjnow link=1167713041/0#14 date=1167716449]That sounds awesome, Ti. I've never had rigatoni with fontina bechamel -- only the traditional marinara sauce and ricotta. I'll be trying that one pretty soon. I'll be sure to get back to you with the results.

jj
    ooooh pasta *drools*
    I cannot cook to save my life. I need someone to lead me through the whole process or do it for me.
    This thread reminds me to get the recipe for our spaghetti sauce from my dad on here. I gotta remember to do that. [/quote]
    One of these days, Jeanne, when I get brave enough, I'm going to try making my own pasta. I've seen a few people do it (on TV), and it doesn't look like rocket science. That being said, everything looks easier when an expert does it.

jj
    Blue Steel

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 1234561227 ... LastLast