Agree Agree:  18
Likes Likes:  48
Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 732475354555657

Re: Great Tennis Journalism

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Well, but it is not "who cares". Sports are for that: silly games that we pay some attention to. And the whole issue could be phrased as: First player to win her first three slams at consecutive slams.
    Which, if she does it, would be quite an achievement for the sport. Nobody else has ever done it.
    It doesn't mean much to me - it's more like trivia - but to each their own.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    People keeping choking over their words trying to give this stat. I've read it more than once, and it's always phrased terribly.

The stat is: you win your "maiden slam," then win the very next one. I think Jennifer Capriati was the first woman to ever do that, and Osaka is the second. It's impressive, because players so often blow right after winning a slam.
    Venus did it the year before Capriati.

Chris Evert did in 1974.

Evonne Goolagong did in 1972.

Maria Bueno in 1959.

On the Men's side

Lew Hoad in 1959 won his first 3 Grand Slam titles consecutively.

Ken Rosewall won his first two consecutively in 1953.
    Last edited by skatingfan; 05-28-2019 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Venus did it the year before Capriati.

Chris Evert did in 1974.

Evonne Goolagong did in 1972.

Maria Bueno in 1959.

On the Men's side

Lew Hoad in 1959 won his first 3 Grand Slam titles consecutively.

Ken Rosewall won his first two consecutively in 1953.
    Just came here to post this, that it's even more specific than we thought.

It's first two finals consecutively, in the Open Era. It's not first two slams, so it rules out anyone who was a runner-up before. Otherwise, you'd include Venus, Goolagong, and Evert. Bueno (and a bunch of others, I'm sure) would be included if you went farther back.

Here's a shot at a less garbled verstion:

Five women in the Open Era won their second slam immediately after their first. Capriati and Osaka are the only two who had also never been to a final before. Therefore, they are the only two women in the Open Era who won their first two slam finals consecutively. Is Osaka were to win the French Open, she would become the first woman in the Open Era to win her first three slam finals, all back-to-back-to-back.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Goodness that's embarrassing. Her sponsor couldn't get it right? smh

That's funny 😂. I think he meant in a row...

From SI Wimbledon mid-term roundtable:

https://www.si.com/tennis/2019/07/07...kovic-week-two

Talking about Coco Gauff - the bold is my emphasis

DR: After watching her in the first couple points against Serena, I'm not at all surprised that she's still playing. There's nothing 15-year-old about her game. She's a force.
    My Happy Place

Quote Originally Posted by atlpam View Post
    From SI Wimbledon mid-term roundtable:

https://www.si.com/tennis/2019/07/07...kovic-week-two

Talking about Coco Gauff - the bold is my emphasis

DR: After watching her in the first couple points against Serena, I'm not at all surprised that she's still playing. There's nothing 15-year-old about her game. She's a force.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Chrissie's insight for the final:

"Simona Halep is the best grass court player in the draw, not named Serena Williams."

Did she mean " ... left in the draw"? (she is, y'know, the ONLY other player left in the draw).

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post

"Simona Halep is the best grass court player in the draw, not named Serena Williams."

Did she mean " ... left in the draw"? (she is, y'know, the ONLY other player left in the draw).
    This is strange, But I do think Chrissie meant in the whole draw when it started. But Halep is not a better grass-court player than Kvitova. I also wouldn't say Halep is BETTER on grass than the next tier of grass-compatible non-champs and aging/slumping former champs, like Venus, but she's certain right up there with them, at least in her current form.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I told all of you silly people that Chrissie would save the day... See?

Quote Originally Posted by Hamidreza View Post
    I don't know if this is bot account, but if it's not:
    1. This thread is actually for poorly written/researched tennis journalism - the thread title is meant to be ironic.
    2. It's not necessary to post your link in 7 different threads. It's a relatively small forum and those of who visit frequently will find the article.
    3. Interesting article, and I enjoyed hearing your thoughts.

She must have, because otherwise it is way false
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

She meant the way Halep was playing at Wimbledon this year, and while Evert has said many loopy things in the past, I don't see what the issue is with this statement. Halep was tremendous at Wimbledon leading up to the final for those who actually watched the matches instead of blindly holding to their preconceived notions.

For what it's worth, and I'd say it's worth a lot, Halep's record at Wimbledon since her rise to the top echelon in 2014 is 22-5. In the same span, Kvitova's record is 14-5 and Venus's record is 18-6. The only player other than Serena (who is a sparkling 28-3) with a better record than Halep is Kerber at 23-5.

Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 732475354555657