Page 1 of 46 123451126 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 678
  1. #1

    Great Tennis Journalism

    A few days ago there was a post here about Jelena Dokic, where the writer said she was a former "Grand Slam Finalist" (after discussion somebody explained here that she was a DOUBLES finalist, which I think the writer of the original piece did not know).
    From YAHOO Sports: (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_yl...v=st&type=lgns

    "Playing in her first tournament since Wimbledon, Sharapova raced out to a 4-0 lead in the first set en route to the triumph."

    The score of the match was 6-0, 6-3. So, after she raced to a 4-0 lead, she... tap danced to 6-0? She blundered all the way to 6-0, and then the match?
    Days like this make me wonder how come some people get those juicy Yahoo! jobs when they obviously can't tell a foot fault from a foot note.

  2. #2

    Re: Great Tennis Journalism

    Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    A few days ago there was a post here about Jelena Dokic, where the writer said she was a former "Grand Slam Finalist" (after discussion somebody explained here that she was a DOUBLES finalist, which I think the writer of the original piece did not know).
    From YAHOO Sports: (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_yl...v=st&type=lgns

    "Playing in her first tournament since Wimbledon, Sharapova raced out to a 4-0 lead in the first set en route to the triumph."

    The score of the match was 6-0, 6-3. So, after she raced to a 4-0 lead, she... tap danced to 6-0? She blundered all the way to 6-0, and then the match?
    Days like this make me wonder how come some people get those juicy Yahoo! jobs when they obviously can't tell a foot fault from a foot note.
    OMG, this is just SO cynical. Apparently, someone didn't open up their new WTA Rules of Order, which clearly states that, when a player goes up 4-0 in any first set, ankle weights and colorful balloons are strapped on to the leading player to ensure that said player cannot continue to race to her lead.
    To question such LOVELY journalism......
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

  3. #3

    Re: Great Tennis Journalism

    Quote Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
    OMG, this is just SO cynical. Apparently, someone didn't open up their new WTA Rules of Order, which clearly states that, when a player goes up 4-0 in any first set, ankle weights and colorful balloons are strapped on to the leading player to ensure that said player cannot continue to race to her lead.
    To question such LOVELY journalism......
    It gets even better. Here is Maria on her victory:
    "I just played the tougher points well," Sharapova said. "I thought I did a really good job of concentrating. I thought I played smart. I thought I played aggressive."

    The tougher points. I know here the reporter is only quoting, but how many tough points do you get in a Love and Three match? "Oh my god, I am at match point! Now..... DON'T PANIC, MARIA, DON'T PANIC!!!"

  4. #4

    Re: Great Tennis Journalism

    Nit pickers all of you...
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

  5. #5
    Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

    Awards Showcase

    mmmm8's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New York, New York, United States
    Posts
    44,385

    Re: Great Tennis Journalism

    Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    It gets even better. Here is Maria on her victory:
    "I just played the tougher points well," Sharapova said. "I thought I did a really good job of concentrating. I thought I played smart. I thought I played aggressive."

    The tougher points. I know here the reporter is only quoting, but how many tough points do you get in a Love and Three match? "Oh my god, I am at match point! Now..... DON'T PANIC, MARIA, DON'T PANIC!!!"

    Actually, she was down on many if not most games on her serve.


  6. #6

    Re: Great Tennis Journalism

    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    Actually, she was down on many if not most games on her serve.
    And she did say 'tougher' instead of 'tough.'

  7. #7

    Re: Great Tennis Journalism

    I know somebody already called me a nit picker in this thread ( ) but this one also caught my eye.
    From Yahoo! sports:

    "Federer picked up his fourth straight Wimbledon crown earlier this season, but now Roddick has a prime opportunity to deny the world's top player from repeating that feat here."

    Gee, I thought it was five in a row. Then again, it barely made the news, so you really can't fault the writer for this, can you?

    http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_yl...v=st&type=lgns

  8. #8
    Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

    Awards Showcase

    Scotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Alameda, CA
    Posts
    10,382
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Great Tennis Journalism

    Does Tracy Austin write for Yahoo?

    Nah ... there aren't enough Maria mentions for this to have come from the pen of the "Sharapova Drinking Game" commentator.

    Seriously, if one took a SIP for every time Ms. Austin mentions Pova's name (in a tournament where she's been out for DAYS, mind you), one would be under the table quickly, dreaming of Mindy Cohn ...

    Hmmm, Facts of Life ...
    if Blair = Maria, then does
    Jo = Maid Marion? (walks butch, and is kinda misunderstood)
    Tootie = Vania? (she looks like she's roller skated a time or two)
    Nathalie = Ahsha?

    S
    Countdown of great Sue Sylvester quotes from Glee
    #6:
    "Get ready for the ride of your life Will Schuester. You're about to board the Sue Sylvester Express. Destination horror! "

  9. #9
    Inactive, & loving Jesus
    Awards Showcase

    Space Invaders Champion, Ms.pacman New Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Disco Bowling Champion, Pacman Champion, Pool Jam - 5 Minute Game Champion, Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion, Ultimate Jewel Champion JTContinental's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    11,642
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Great Tennis Journalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Does Tracy Austin write for Yahoo?

    Nah ... there aren't enough Maria mentions for this to have come from the pen of the "Sharapova Drinking Game" commentator.

    Seriously, if one took a SIP for every time Ms. Austin mentions Pova's name (in a tournament where she's been out for DAYS, mind you), one would be under the table quickly, dreaming of Mindy Cohn ...

    Hmmm, Facts of Life ...
    if Blair = Maria, then does
    Jo = Maid Marion? (walks butch, and is kinda misunderstood)
    Tootie = Vania? (she looks like she's roller skated a time or two)
    Nathalie = Ahsha?

    S

    And who is Jeri?
    Welcome to my crazy game of fetch.

  10. #10

    Re: Great Tennis Journalism

    I read a mainstream press piece saying Serena was teary eyed in her press conference. What BS.

  11. #11
    Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

    Awards Showcase

    mmmm8's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New York, New York, United States
    Posts
    44,385

    Re: Great Tennis Journalism

    Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    I know somebody already called me a nit picker in this thread ( ) but this one also caught my eye.
    From Yahoo! sports:

    "Federer picked up his fourth straight Wimbledon crown earlier this season, but now Roddick has a prime opportunity to deny the world's top player from repeating that feat here."

    Gee, I thought it was five in a row. Then again, it barely made the news, so you really can't fault the writer for this, can you?

    http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_yl...v=st&type=lgns
    Well, even though it's five in a row, technically fourth straight is still true

  12. #12

    Re: Great Tennis Journalism

    Not sure if I should have started a new thread for this, but I am amazed at how much time Mike and Mike (ESPN2) are spending discussing the Federer/Roddick match. It's great!! Normally, sports talk shows barely give tennis a mention, but they've discussed the match and the dominance of Roger over Andy (and everyone for that matter) for 20-30 min this morning.

    Mike and Mike was already the best sports talk show of all time. And now it's rising to new and greater heights
    ADAM Member

  13. #13

    Re: Great Tennis Journalism

    Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    And who is Jeri?

    And who's Clooney?

  14. #14

    Re: Great Tennis Journalism

    Quote Originally Posted by mrjiggyfly2 View Post
    Not sure if I should have started a new thread for this, but I am amazed at how much time Mike and Mike (ESPN2) are spending discussing the Federer/Roddick match. It's great!! Normally, sports talk shows barely give tennis a mention, but they've discussed the match and the dominance of Roger over Andy (and everyone for that matter) for 20-30 min this morning.

    Mike and Mike was already the best sports talk show of all time. And now it's rising to new and greater heights
    Mad Dog has always been a pretty big tennis supporter. I remember driving to Boston in '94 during the Sampras-Yzaga 4R match at the open, and he was basically giving play by play of the match. Francesa isn't as big a fan, but he'll let Russo spend some time on tennis every now and again. Was Francesa talking about the Fed-Roddick match too?
    The Adventures of Pete and Pete: Mom

  15. #15

    Re: Great Tennis Journalism

    More. Again from YAHOO:
    "The (Australian Open) women's field has five former champions in Henin, the Williams sisters -- Venus and defending champion Serena -- Amelie Mauresmo and Lindsay Davenport."
    So there you have it, Venus did actually win the AO once.

    Full story at:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Page 1 of 46 123451126 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



» Non-Tennis RPB

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1