Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Where you can purchase tennis match DVDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    I had no idea you were so connected.

No idea what PAL and NTSC are.
    I hope that I get the following right- and anyone here, please correct me if I'm giving out any incorrect info:

NTSC is the format playable on USA televisions. You can get what are called region-free/multi-region DVD players that will play DVDs from other countries- as PAL is the format DVDs are done in England- and I believe in Europe and some other countries. SO, keep in mind that if your DVD player/TV will only allow you to view USA-made DVDs- don't buy a DVD in a PAL (or other) format- only NTSC.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Listen, just to add to the info given, I will vouch for Rick, Matt (Tennis Nexus) and Albert, all three of them. They are all stand up guys, super professional at what they offer and they will not short you on any match you buy from them.

I don't post here a lot, and most of you (none, probably) don't know me at all, except maybe from TF aka WTAworld under another supersecret identity, but I do regularly post tennis matches, have a sizeable match collection in DVD format, and can say with assurance that those guys are all on the level. In fact, Albert and I are Facebook buddies. Once you get to know him, and become a regular customer of his, he may offer you the option of snail mail Airmail shipping, but to be honest, if I'm ordering a smattering of Aravane and Julia matches I;ve never seen before and anxiously awaiting them with baited breath, I'm more than willing to shell out the clams for the DHL to get them in three days.

I bought several batches from Rick and had no complaints at all--very prompt, great selection, some rare stuff no one else has.

Matt does custom menus and IMO his product is second to none. His selection is smaller than the others but growing.

You can't go wrong ordering from any of those three sites, IMHO.

Just $.03 worth from a customer of each.

P.s.

Karen is having a going out of business sale. She is selling off her masters, which are in PAL format, at 5 pounds ea. UK or $8 ea. US. She has a gigantic list, which is a little lighter after I got done with it, but still presumably enormous. I don't think she'd mind my posting her email here: lovetennis@btinternet.com.
    Last edited by Paszekfan; 12-22-2010 at 11:59 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
    I hope that I get the following right- and anyone here, please correct me if I'm giving out any incorrect info:

NTSC is the format playable on USA televisions. You can get what are called region-free/multi-region DVD players that will play DVDs from other countries- as PAL is the format DVDs are done in England- and I believe in Europe and some other countries. SO, keep in mind that if your DVD player/TV will only allow you to view USA-made DVDs- don't buy a DVD in a PAL (or other) format- only NTSC.
    Yeah, I think that's sorta/mostly right, although "region" and "format" are two different things. NTSC/PAL distinction is format, and is broken down so far as I know as NTSC=USA/Canada/Japan, PAL=Europe except France, SECAM=France, and the rest of the world who knows.

Region has to do with that little code on the back of the DVDs you buy at the store, the stamp on the back of the DVD with the globe that has the number in the middle of it. There are six international regions and for whatever reason, DVDs are coded to play on DVD players manufactured in only one of the six regions. "Multi region DVD players" are DVD players without region restrictions--i.e., they will take a DVD from any region and play it. Region free DVDs aka Region 0 DVDs are DVDs coded region non-specific, which will play on any DVD player or any computer, no matter which region it is coded to.

The terminology is probably wrong, but I think that is the layman's version of how it generally works.

Several years ago, I bought a really good JVC multi-region DVD player that solved all of my PAL/region 2 problems and it was the best $150 bucks I ever spent.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paszekfan View Post
    There are six international regions and for whatever reason, DVDs are coded to play on DVD players manufactured in only one of the six regions.
    IIRC, this exists so distributors can price DVD's according to local market conditions without worrying about arbitrage. That is, somebody buying, say, all the Harry Potter DVD's in Africa at $5 a pop and selling them in the US at $10.
    I put in the work and wanted it so badly but this guy is the best for a reason. He is such a complete player ... maybe I'll just punch him or something, I don't know. - Andy Roddick

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    IIRC, this exists so distributors can price DVD's according to local market conditions without worrying about arbitrage. That is, somebody buying, say, all the Harry Potter DVD's in Africa at $5 a pop and selling them in the US at $10.
    Yes, that makes sense.

Although, personally, I would consider giving somebody $10 a pop to take all of the Harry Potter DVDs over to Africa. Or South America. Or Asia. Or Australia. Or Mars.

Hi all,

I have a large collection of classic tennis matches available on DVD, or you can download them as digital files (MP4). HD matches are also available on Blu-Ray Disc.

To download my list (recommended), use one of these links: Excel or PDF

To view my list in your browser, use one of these links: Excel or PDF

I can get many more matches that are not on my list - just ask.

Also, I can send you a pack of 15+ other lists from my contacts which I can order matches from.

You can contact me at samtennis86@hotmail.com if you're interested in anything.

Last update: 26th February 2019

Last edited by SamM; 02-26-2019 at 05:47 AM.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Is this still a business? I feel like most of these matches are online now.

As an aside, I searched up a few of them and watched the end of Graf-Sabatini 1988 USO. Wow, victory celebrations have sure changed a lot in 30 years! That was a 1:41 3-setter and the completion of the Calendar slam for Graf, and on match point she gives a tiny little fist bump, shakes hands, and casually jogs to her team. Hilarious. Or maybe Graf was an anomaly in that, I forget...

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Is this still a business? I feel like most of these matches are online now.

As an aside, I searched up a few of them and watched the end of Graf-Sabatini 1988 USO. Wow, victory celebrations have sure changed a lot in 30 years! That was a 1:41 3-setter and the completion of the Calendar slam for Graf, and on match point she gives a tiny little fist bump, shakes hands, and casually jogs to her team. Hilarious. Or maybe Graf was an anomaly in that, I forget...
    You'd be suprised, I still have lots of interest. Yes some of the more well known matches are online, but that's only a small percentage of what's on my list. And often the quality of videos posted online isn't great (to keep the file size down). Plus if you want matches on DVD then you don't want to be converting online videos to DVD as the quality suffers even more.

I wouldn't call this a business - I'm just opening up my collection to the world for my love of tennis. I have hundreds of people that get matches from me, so there must still be a need for it - you won't get better quality anywhere else
    Last edited by SamM; 06-28-2018 at 04:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SamM View Post
    Hi all,

I have a large collection of classic tennis matches available on DVD, or you can download them as digital files (MP4). HD matches are also available on Blu-Ray Disc.

To download my list (recommended), use one of these links: Excel or PDF

To view my list in your browser, use one of these links: Excel or PDF

I can also get many more matches that are not on my list - just ask.

You can contact me at samtennis86@hotmail.com if you're interested in anything.

Hi all,

I've just done a major update to my list with 1,300 additions.

Let me know if you are interested in anything.

Sam

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12