Agree Agree:  3
Likes Likes:  35
Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 1234567132853 ... LastLast

Re: You know you're a tennis fan if...

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    39. You get someone to text you scores of first round Davis Cup matches... after every set
    40. You beg a message board of people you've never met to text you the scores of a third round Wimbledon match between two Slovakians who aren't expected to make it any farther than the next round.
    It's hard out here for a Zuz.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by oohsalmon View Post
    40. You beg a message board of people you've never met to text you the scores of a third round Wimbledon match between two Slovakians who aren't expected to make it any farther than the next round.

Oh, yeah, my texts came from Moose too

A follow-up to JJ's

41. You are ready to hit some people on the head with heavy objects (a camera will do) when they yell "Go, ChandRa!!!" And the only reason you don't is because they are the only other people in the entire Arthur Ashe, except for you, who are cheering for Rubin over Williams.

41. you are SOOOO HAPPY to watch your least favorite player obliterate an opponent in a match where you already know the outcome because you are starved for tennis...ANY tennis match will do.

42. You want to strangle everyone in the crowd every time the masses get the giggles for the one zillionth time that you're watching a match on TV or in person because the freakin' ball hilariously gets stuck in the net after a serve yet one more time.

43. You'll purchase ANY available tennis players' (non-tennis-instruction) books, including most recently from that famous US tennis player Tom Brown, who made the finals of the US in 1946 and Wimbledon in 1947 (getting destroyed in both finals by Jack Kramer, mind you.) And the book is called (may God forgive me) "As Tom Goes By." And you still purchase the book. (P.S. It DOES have a few tennis-match interesting details, at least for the tennis obsessives among us- but it's pretty much what you'd expect from a book called "As Tom Goes By.")

44. Rituals. Compulsive little rituals. Because you just know that if you do not follow every little necessary step in order (now I take my vitamins, now I brush my teeth, time to make the bed, feed the cat, breakfast, DON'T look at the websites for scores for one hour, DON'T, I said DON'T, win two games of internet hearts first, pray/pray/pray/pray, think HAPPY WONDER PETS thoughts, no it has NOT been an hour, you CANNOT check the scores, avoid TAT because you just know that they'll make you even more nervous, NO, DON'T TURN ON THE TV, NOT YET, BUT I HAVE TO LOOK, I JUST CANNOT STAND THIS.....), Roger and Venus will surely not win Wimbledon, and only you will be to blame. (OK, I exaggerate a bit, but ya GET the idea.)

45. You go to the Ordinary People/OLD Stepford Wives-esque Winnetka, Illinois to see a Challenger Series event. You have avoided people such as these Winnetka residents like the plague since leaving your growing-up "home town" of Brightwaters Long Island at the age of 18 (as since then apparently the residents of Brightwaters at some point in time moved to Winnetka), yet you and your partner go back over and over again. Because, hey, it's tennis. Such are the prices we tennis fans must pay.
    Last edited by nelslus; 07-09-2007 at 12:44 AM.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nelslus View Post

44. Rituals. Compulsive little rituals. Because you just know that if you do not follow every little necessary step in order (now I take my vitamins, now I brush my teeth, time to make the bed, feed the cat, breakfast, DON'T look at the websites for scores for one hour, DON'T, I said DON'T, win two games of internet hearts first, pray/pray/pray/pray, think HAPPY WONDER PETS thoughts, no it has NOT been an hour, you CANNOT check the scores, avoid TAT because you just know that they'll make you even more nervous, NO, DON'T TURN ON THE TV, NOT YET, BUT I HAVE TO LOOK, I JUST CANNOT STAND THIS.....), Roger and Venus will surely not win Wimbledon, and only you will be to blame. (OK, I exaggerate a bit, but ya GET the idea.)
    I cannot express how much THIS one stresses people.
    It's crazy, Nelslus.

anywho...

46: You're favorite player turns you into person who goes through various rituals, and said player has also made you, a sane person who has NEVER been superstitious, into a crazy superstitious person.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie181 View Post
    41. you are SOOOO HAPPY to watch your least favorite player obliterate an opponent in a match where you already know the outcome because you are starved for tennis...ANY tennis match will do.
    Jessie, your math sucks.

48. Wimbledon is over and the first thing you do on the next Monday morning is look up who won the Turin Challenger last week (congratulations, Carlos Berlocq! He beat the unpleasant Boris Pashanski in the final).

49. You know who Boris Pashanski is, what he looks like, and why he is unpleasant

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
    42. You want to strangle everyone in the crowd every time the masses get the giggles for the one zillionth time that you're watching a match on TV or in person because the freakin' ball hilariously gets stuck in the net after a serve yet one more time.

43. You'll purchase ANY available tennis players' (non-tennis-instruction) books, including most recently from that famous US tennis player Tom Brown, who made the finals of the US in 1946 and Wimbledon in 1947 (getting destroyed in both finals by Jack Kramer, mind you.) And the book is called (may God forgive me) "As Tom Goes By." And you still purchase the book. (P.S. It DOES have a few tennis-match interesting details, at least for the tennis obsessives among us- but it's pretty much what you'd expect from a book called "As Tom Goes By.")

45. You go to the Ordinary People/OLD Stepford Wives-esque Winnetka, Illinois to see a Challenger Series event. You have avoided people such as these Winnetka residents like the plague since leaving your growing-up "home town" of Brightwaters Long Island at the age of 18 (as since then apparently the residents of Brightwaters at some point in time moved to Winnetka), yet you and your partner go back over and over again. Because, hey, it's tennis. Such are the prices we tennis fans must pay.
    ROFL I thought I was the only one with the don't check the scores for an hour or half hour in order not to jink my faves. Also the not turning on the TV, thing I did that like a zillion times during the men's final yesterday and everytime I did it was bad for Roger.

Foxy
    A. D. A. M. MEMBER FOR LIFE
    --------------------------------------------------
    I am not ashamed of Gospel of Jesus Christ!

If It Doesn't Matter What You Believe, Then It Doesn't Matter If You Believe At All...I Choose To Believe In My GOD

50- When you have chants to jinx your player's opponent and to make him double-fault
    Last edited by mmmm8; 07-09-2007 at 10:15 AM. Reason: renumbered :)
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    50- When you have chants to jinx your player's opponent and to make him double-fault
    Don't forget the flip-side of this, when you can will your player to ace his opponent; I'm certain my telepathic capabilities got Roger out of one of those 15-40 games

51. As a supposed adult you're almost ready to drop close to $70 to purchase these truly scary little Wonder Pets dolls after a trusted TAT bud posts their website address after not being able to find a Wonder Pets T-Shirt for you in an Adult size (how the Wonder Pets makers could dare to cheat their potentially thriving adult T-shirt audience.....), to prepare for future Roger and Venus matches. Not that you had ever heard of the Wonder Pets before. (Billy, Mandy and Grim, yes, but nelslus does have his Mature Adult Standards.)

52. Even though you have already paid for a NYC trip with your partner including times at the Open, you drop another one-two grand or so to go back to NYC from your hometown of Chicago less than two days later, all so that you can spend a Day At the Open with a potential band of fellow drooling psychopaths- because where else will you find a group that might join you for the rain-delayed Sequera/Pin doubles match?

53. You call yourself nelslus on a tennis board. (Well, now that nelslus thinks about it, two tennis boards.)

54. You feel justified without blushing in calling folks you have never and in fact will never meet such as Mr. Nieminen a prostitute because they dare to lose a match that might harm yourselves in a tennis nerd contest. And on second thought, he's still a prostitute.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Tour Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

55. if you posted something on this list.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I have to agree on the rituals. I never predict matches of my faves in the horror that I might jinx them (even though I am a rational, non-superstitious person otherwise).

56. You find yourself comparing a Chopin Polonaise to a thrilling 5 set match.

57. Instead of putting finishing touches on your presentation, you just HAVE to look at the scoreboard for the results of a clay tournament after Wimbledon.

58. You realize that during Wimbledon you are a part of SIX contests: RB, GA, SP, weekly predictions, ATP Fantasy Team, Peterskan's contest. (Or, maybe this belongs in the "you know you're a contest addict if..." thread. )
    Last edited by aedra1119; 07-10-2007 at 09:05 PM.

Oh geez, I forgot what number we're on. Hold on...

Okay, got it.

59. You read a list of quirks from other tennis wackos and do some version of at least 50% of the things on that list.

60. You started to tear up when Roger cried (again, sheesh) after beating Rafa at Wimbledon. ("He's just so happy...")

61. You realize that you also participated in six contests for Wimbledon, and wonder when you stopped caring about your contests. (I think I had 8 or 9 once)

62. You are dying to know where the "you know you're a contest junkie when" thread is.

63. You couldn't get time off for the Legg Mason Tennis Classic...so you give your two weeks notice.
    It's hard out here for a Zuz.

Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 1234567132853 ... LastLast