Agree Agree:  14
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 1234561227 ... LastLast

Thread: Soccer/Football

Re: Soccer

When did Beckham get all that ink on his right arm?

"Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Blog Entries

... only half a year to go until the beginning of the European Football Championships in Switzerland and Austria!
    It is going to be an awesome tournament with great teams who almost all have a chance to go very deep.
    today they drew the round robin groups.
    Germany was lucky as usual and will be the favorite over Austria, Croatia and Poland in group B. Group C is just... insane: the Netherlands, Italy, Romania and France will compete for two spots in the quarterfinals. The remaining groups are pretty balanced as well: Switzerland, Portugal, Turkey and the Czech Republik are in group A; defending champion Greece will take on Sweden, Spain and surprise participant Russia in group D. (BTW, huge credit to Russia's coach Guus Hiddink. That man is simply doing an incredible job, no matter what team he is working for...)

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by tinamarie View Post
    ... only half a year to go until the beginning of the European Football Championships in Switzerland and Austria!
    It is going to be an awesome tournament with great teams who almost all have a chance to go very deep.
    today they drew the round robin groups.
    Germany was lucky as usual and will be the favorite over Austria, Croatia and Poland in group B. Group C is just... insane: the Netherlands, Italy, Romania and France will compete for two spots in the quarterfinals. The remaining groups are pretty balanced as well: Switzerland, Portugal, Turkey and the Czech Republik are in group A; defending champion Greece will take on Sweden, Spain and surprise participant Russia in group D. (BTW, huge credit to Russia's coach Guus Hiddink. That man is simply doing an incredible job, no matter what team he is working for...)

But I hope he's sent a gift basket to Croatia (I think someone else is sending them each a Mercedes)

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Re: Soccer/Football

Just thought this thread shouldn't be so buried!

Beckham wins recall to England squad

• Story Highlights
    • England coach Fabio Capello recalls David Beckham to his 30-man squad
    • Beckham will win 100th cap if selected to play against France next Wednesday
    • Beckham was left out of Switzerland match because of lack of match fitness

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SPORT/footba...ref=rss_latest

He was off the team from 2006 until this fall when he was brought in as a sub in England's last push to qualify for the Euro Cup, which they famously failed to do.

"Cap" means an international appearance for the national team. He'll be the 5th Englishman to achieve 100

(BTW, huge credit to Russia's coach Guus Hiddink. That man is simply doing an incredible job, no matter what team he is working for...)
    He really does tend to work small wonders. Same goes for Poland's coach, Dutchman Leo Beenhakker. He's the guy that coached Trinidad and Tobago to the 2006 World Championship. It took him a lot longer to get the respect he deserves, though.
    Coach Marion, at your service!

Glad this thread reappeared. What is wrong with Ronaldinho? I heard he has "medical issues" but no injury?
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Glad this thread reappeared. What is wrong with Ronaldinho? I heard he has "medical issues" but no injury?
    Looks like some internal team politics came into play, no?

http://goal.com/en-us/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=629243

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    Looks like some internal team politics came into play, no?

http://goal.com/en-us/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=629243
    Team sports. All for one and one for all...not.

france beat us 1-0 in a friendly this week , so pleased for you madame

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Bayern scored an own goal in the semis of the UEFA cup

Whatever works. Go Zenit!

Blog Entries

Bayern scored an own goal in the semis of the UEFA cup

Whatever works. Go Zenit!

wow that's awesome and I am so with you on this one: Go Zenit!!! (Bayern got so lucky when they beat Getaffe. seriously, I was yelling at my TV when this stupid goal keeper from Getaffe managed to roll pass the ball,so Bayern could get that goal to 2:3 and eventually 3-all in the very last minute of the overtime. unblievable... and unfortunatly, money does score goals this season, so Munich has one title already and it will take a miracle for them not to win the national championship as well, so I am all for St. Petersburg spoiling Munich's triple-title-dream.Davai Zenit!!)

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

wow that's awesome and I am so with you on this one: Go Zenit!!! (Bayern got so lucky when they beat Getaffe. seriously, I was yelling at my TV when this stupid goal keeper from Getaffe managed to roll pass the ball,so Bayern could get that goal to 2:3 and eventually 3-all in the very last minute of the overtime. unblievable... and unfortunatly, money does score goals this season, so Munich has one title already and it will take a miracle for them not to win the national championship as well, so I am all for St. Petersburg spoiling Munich's triple-title-dream.Davai Zenit!!)
    I'm pretty sure Zenit players risk assassination if they don't win the home game, so they better.

I think we can rule out you being from Munich

I haven't really been following all of the cup or Italian soccer, how the hell did Fiorentina make the semi? I guess I totally missed them climbing up the Italian ranks in the last few years

Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure Zenit players risk assassination if they don't win the home game, so they better.

I think we can rule out you being from Munich

I haven't really been following all of the cup or Italian soccer, how the hell did Fiorentina make the semi? I guess I totally missed them climbing up the Italian ranks in the last few years
    Did it show? my club sort of despises Munich...(even in our song there is a line on how every club is welcome at our stadion except Munich. it's actually kind of funny, when older people still get all excited talking about how - in 1974!- our club won a match against Munich 7:4 after being down 1:4. we won more matches of course, but this one remains special .)

about Fiorentina: I have to admitt I missed their climbing to the top as well. They are ranked ahead of AC Milan right now in the league which seriously for me seemed to exist only of AC Milan, Inter Milan, Rome & Turin for years... Yesterday, Berlusconi (you know the President of AC Milan whose part-time job is Italian Prime Minister) annouced the idea of creating a new Italian league for only the big clubs, so they dont have to play in small stadions anymore and because the matches between the big clubs have the highest TV quota. (oh, did I mention he owns the main Italian TV stations as well?)

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Did it show? my club sort of despises Munich...(even in our song there is a line on how every club is welcome at our stadion except Munich. it's actually kind of funny, when older people still get all excited talking about how - in 1974!- our club won a match against Munich 7:4 after being down 1:4. we won more matches of course, but this one remains special .)

about Fiorentina: I have to admitt I missed their climbing to the top as well. They are ranked ahead of AC Milan right now in the league which seriously for me seemed to exist only of AC Milan, Inter Milan, Rome & Turin for years... Yesterday, Berlusconi (you know the President of AC Milan whose part-time job is Italian Prime Minister) annouced the idea of creating a new Italian league for only the big clubs, so they dont have to play in small stadions anymore and because the matches between the big clubs have the highest TV quota. (oh, did I mention he owns the main Italian TV stations as well?)

LOL, me too! And, yeah, I can't really believe Berlusconi got elected again.

So, what Munich-hating club is it that you support?

Blog Entries

LOL, me too! And, yeah, I can't really believe Berlusconi got elected again.

So, what Munich-hating club is it that you support?

the First Football Club Kaiserslautern (1.FCK). its one of the founding teams of the German national league and the team of Fritz Walter who lead Germany to its first World Cup triumph in 1954. It's a club with a long tradition and its stadion, located on a hill in the Palatine forrest, is famous for its great atmosphere. Unfortuatly, there have been some financial scandals and mistakes by clubs officials, so the club began struggeling in the late ninties. We managed to win one more National championship in 1998, but in 2006 we moved down to the second league in 2006 and failed to get back up in 2007. Now we are facing even bigger trouble as the club is five points behind the last place to secure it a spot in pro soccer next season and its only 5 more matches to go... they played really crappy this season, but the thing is, you dont really get to chose a favorite soccer team, right?. your place of birth (or your parents) pretty much settle it and then you're stuck with that teamso even a year at amateur level cant change that (but still break an entire region's heart...) however I'm sure we'll be back eventually to challenge Munich

PS: Sorry if its too long an answer for a short question, I just really love that club and tend to get carried away talking about it

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 1234561227 ... LastLast