Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0

I need stringing advice.

Okay, so I'm going to take two racquets to get strung tomorrow, and I wanted to know what's the best stringing tension one should go for if one wants to help get a better possibility for higher topspin. I already hit with some topspin on my groundstrokes, and I noticed that it's harder to get topspin on racquet "B" than it is to get spin with racquet "A."
    I heard that the lower the tension-the higher the possibility for topspin. Is this true?

these are the "recommended" stringing tensions on my two racquets:

both racquet "A" and "B" say 53 lbs -63lb is the recommended stringing tension.
    What should I go for?

thanks in advance,
    Jessie.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: I need stringing advice.

I think there are factors other than tension that will have a more dramatic effect on how much spin you can generate.

Ask the stringer what he/she recommends. I happen to use Prince Topsping string, which has a rough coating and helps generate spin (I also like its durability and feel). I've also had good spin results from using a hybrid sting job (polyester on the mains, and synthetic gut on the cross strings ... if you try this you should definitely string looser than you have been). Nice spin, but I found it too harsh on my arm/shoulder.

Good luck!
    S

I think the higher the tension the more control, and lower tension means more power (trampoline effect). So if you want more control, I think you should go towards the upper end, like 60 or 63.

String tension has little to do with spin. The type of string you use will affect the spin you will generate far more than the tension of the strings. The more spin you hit the slow the ball will be though, plus and minus' I guess. I hit with a lot of spin as well.

Check out this page from Jeff Cooper at About Tennis.com. I like this guy and he seems to know his stuff. The first paragraph on the page will answer your question with a test result to back up a little theory too. I found it interesting. It says that a 50% increase in tension (a crap load, that it like going from 60 to 90!) only gives you 5% more spin.

http://tennis.about.com/od/tennisstr...qstrings27.htm

Hope that helps!
    Good Luck on the Court!!!
    Scott Baker
    Tennis4you.com

Quote Originally Posted by tennis4you View Post
    String tension has little to do with spin. The type of string you use will affect the spin you will generate far more than the tension of the strings. The more spin you hit the slow the ball will be though, plus and minus' I guess. I hit with a lot of spin as well.

Check out this page from Jeff Cooper at About Tennis.com. I like this guy and he seems to know his stuff. The first paragraph on the page will answer your question with a test result to back up a little theory too. I found it interesting. It says that a 50% increase in tension (a crap load, that it like going from 60 to 90!) only gives you 5% more spin.

http://tennis.about.com/od/tennisstr...qstrings27.htm

Hope that helps!
    Thanks a lot!
    And yeah, I hit with heavy topspin on my forehand, but with little (mostly flat) spin on my backhand.

I remember hearing, and reading, from people that the lower tension a racquet is strung, the higher the spin one gets. I also remember hearing from a friend that different types of string effect the spin you get as well. I didn't believe her until I read Scotty's (and then your) post.

thanks you two.

When I go to get them strung tomorrow I'll ask the stringer which string would be better.

Last edited by Jay; 06-18-2007 at 05:56 PM.

I have the similar game, I slice a lot of backhands so that is some decent spin, but the one handed topspin only has a fraction of the spin as my forehand. One of the guys on my USTA league always makes fun of my forehand and calls me Nadal. If only it had that much wicked spin...
    Scott Baker
    Tennis4you.com

lemonFlavour

I have another question about strings. Over the past month, I've snapped two sets of strings both at close to 60lbs. The reason for this is probably because I like to hit using top spin a lot. Can anyone recommend strings that are durable to top spin heavy hitters? I am a casual player so performance is not an issue.

I had the same issue. I was using Prince Duraflex which I always liked. It was an economical string. I string my own racquets so it saves a lot of money too. But I was breaking strings every 4 hours on the court which gets annoying.

I switched over to a string by Topspin, it is called their "Cyberflash" string. I love the stuff and I get about 20 hours out of it before it breaks. Feels very similar to the Prince Duraflex so it is a good common feeling string. I got (4) other guys on my USTA league using it now too. Good stuff.

You can buy it at Tenniswarehouse or a lot of other places. I get my strings from stringsdepotplus.com
    Scott Baker
    Tennis4you.com

lemonFlavour

Quote Originally Posted by tennis4you View Post
    I had the same issue. I was using Prince Duraflex which I always liked. It was an economical string. I string my own racquets so it saves a lot of money too. But I was breaking strings every 4 hours on the court which gets annoying.

I switched over to a string by Topspin, it is called their "Cyberflash" string. I love the stuff and I get about 20 hours out of it before it breaks. Feels very similar to the Prince Duraflex so it is a good common feeling string. I got (4) other guys on my USTA league using it now too. Good stuff.

You can buy it at Tenniswarehouse or a lot of other places. I get my strings from stringsdepotplus.com

Thanks alot, i'll give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by lemonFlavour View Post
    I have another question about strings. Over the past month, I've snapped two sets of strings both at close to 60lbs. The reason for this is probably because I like to hit using top spin a lot. Can anyone recommend strings that are durable to top spin heavy hitters? I am a casual player so performance is not an issue.
    If performance is not that big a deal to you try your favorite string in a thicker gauge--15 if you truly don't care about feel or 16 if you're more advanced. I use Babolat Razor Spin 16 gauge and I haven't popped that string yet. But be careful getting just any old thick string. If it's too stiff, it may not break but your arm and elbow will pay the price later on.
    Last edited by Aton; 06-21-2007 at 01:23 PM.

Game Lover

You can't go wrong with natural gut: try Babolat VS Touch 16, I get about 6 weeks out of it. Best for power and comfort. Not so much for spin, but my advise to everyone is to defintetly try for yourself!