Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 132834353637383940 LastLast

Re: This is why I support the death penalty

And people sentenced to life in prison write no appeals?

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Yahtzee Champion, Deuces Wild Champion Kirkus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Pamchenko once posted some very powerful data on this very issue. IIRC, the increased expense associated with death row inmates is most associated with lengthy and numerous appeals, the expense of these appeals to court systems, etc. Based on those data, the only way the death penalty would be cost effective is if they were executed immediately upon being sentenced. Which isn't possible because it would violate their Constitutional right to due process.
    Which I used to advocate... vociferously!

Quote Originally Posted by morct View Post
    It's getting a lot of coverage over here, the general attitude is that it's about time. Too much opportunity for error to occur.
    And that's the one and ONLY reason I'm no longer a capital punishment supporter. One chance in a gazallion-million that an innocent person is executed is too much for me.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    I still find it illogical that putting someone to death is more expensive than feeding, clothing, and housing them for the remainder of their lives. I think that's a bullshit argument -- data be damned.

::

There was a time when I'd have been tempted to be an active participant in opposition to this ballot measure. Now, if it makes it on the ballot here in California, I'll vote "Yes".
    Illogical or just hard to believe? It makes perfect sense to me.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I know in death-penalty happy Texas, a death penalty case costs three times a case of imprisoning someone in a single cell, at the highest level of security, for 40 years.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    Illogical or just hard to believe? It makes perfect sense to me.
    I guess hard to believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    I know in death-penalty happy Texas, a death penalty case costs three times a case of imprisoning someone in a single cell, at the highest level of security, for 40 years.
    They're obviously not doing it right.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Reason number 16 kajillion I think the death penalty has no place in our legal system.

He was the spitting image of the killer, had the same first name and was near the scene of the crime at the fateful hour: Carlos DeLuna paid the ultimate price and was executed in place of someone else in Texas in 1989, a report out Tuesday found.

Even "all the relatives of both Carloses mistook them," and DeLuna was sentenced to death and executed based only on eyewitness accounts despite a range of signs he was not a guilty man, said law professor James Liebman.

Liebman and five of his students at Columbia School of Law spent almost five years poring over details of a case that he says is "emblematic" of legal system failure.

DeLuna, 27, was put to death after "a very incomplete investigation. No question that the investigation is a failure," Liebman said.

http://news.yahoo.com/wrong-man-exec...051125159.html
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

I recently finished a book called "PROOFINESS. The dark arts of mathematical deception". A complete chapter is dedicated to how the courts in the USA NEGLECT mathematically sound evidence when deciding a case. Chillingly, it explains how Supreme Court judge Antonin Scalia, in favor of the death penalty, has repeatedly issued statements in which he denies the possibility that the wrong person can be executed.
    The explanation is too long to copy here, but in short, Scalia believes that the success rate of the courts in the US is as high as 99.973%. But looking at the figures, the reality is that the error rate of the courts can be as high as 5%.
    As Kirkus has stated here repeatedly, even a one in a million chance of convicting and executing an innocent person should be enough to deter the practice. Here, we have a rate as high as 5%. Frightening.
    Time to change the title of this thread to "This is why I DON'T support the death penalty". I guess we all are in agreement here (to bad the rest of the nation isn't).
    50 ways to leave your (non) lover: "I hope you understand me when I say it was torture having met you"

I'll play along. I still support it under certain circumstances and if it meets some criteria.

Prosecutors Will Seek Death Penalty In Colorado Theater Shootings

Rejecting James Holmes' offer to plead guilty in exchange for a life sentence, prosecutors in Colorado announced Monday that they will seek the death penalty for the young man accused of killing 12 people and injuring 58 in a mass shooting last July at a movie theater.

As Denver's KUSA-TV writes, "after a week of legal twists and turns ... Holmes could face execution if convicted."

Last week, as we reported, the 25-year-old Holmes' attorneys made the plea offer — but prosecutors called it a publicity ploy. Ben Markus of Colorado Public Radio tells our Newscast Desk that prosecutors "were left fuming that plea negotiations were made public ... violating the court's media gag order."

The Denver Post notes that "Holmes' attorneys said in their filing last week that they may pursue a mental-health defense and file numerous pre-trial motions if the case goes to trial." It adds that in court Monday, "District Attorney George Brauchler ... said his office consulted with 800 victims [and family members] before deciding to seek death for Holmes. Holmes appeared to have no reaction [to the announcement]."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...-20130401-1145
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

Reason #1,418,096 to oppose the death penalty -

Jodi Arias hopes her jury will give her the death penalty, citing the following in a post-conviction interview:

"Longevity runs in my family, and I don't want to spend the rest of my natural life in one place," a tearful Arias told Fox affiliate KSAZ. "I believe death is the ultimate freedom and I'd rather have my freedom as soon as I can get it."
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...05-08-20-18-55
    Ssshh. Don't tell PEHK I am cheating on him with Dominic Thiem!

Grand Slam Champion owendonovan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Prosecutors Will Seek Death Penalty In Colorado Theater Shootings

Rejecting James Holmes' offer to plead guilty in exchange for a life sentence, prosecutors in Colorado announced Monday that they will seek the death penalty for the young man accused of killing 12 people and injuring 58 in a mass shooting last July at a movie theater.

As Denver's KUSA-TV writes, "after a week of legal twists and turns ... Holmes could face execution if convicted."

Last week, as we reported, the 25-year-old Holmes' attorneys made the plea offer — but prosecutors called it a publicity ploy. Ben Markus of Colorado Public Radio tells our Newscast Desk that prosecutors "were left fuming that plea negotiations were made public ... violating the court's media gag order."

The Denver Post notes that "Holmes' attorneys said in their filing last week that they may pursue a mental-health defense and file numerous pre-trial motions if the case goes to trial." It adds that in court Monday, "District Attorney George Brauchler ... said his office consulted with 800 victims [and family members] before deciding to seek death for Holmes. Holmes appeared to have no reaction [to the announcement]."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...-20130401-1145
    Why are his pupils so dilated?
    Open wide.

Cousin of nelslus

Quote Originally Posted by owendonovan View Post
    Why are his pupils so dilated?
    His pupils look normal to me.

There's so MUCH of me to love! Bestest Friend of Suliso Ever. Bonk Bonk on Beau's Head.

Proud creator and owner of hotprisonpenpals.com. Belslus LIKE munchin. Belslus LIKE JT, salmon, mwoods, and rabbit.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Reason #1,418,096 to oppose the death penalty -

Jodi Arias hopes her jury will give her the death penalty, citing the following in a post-conviction interview:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...05-08-20-18-55
    I heard a report tonight that she's on suicide watch.

Grand Slam Champion owendonovan's Avatar

I've paid no attention to this case, seems like a media case done out of boredom. I'm cool with her killing herself, though.
    Open wide.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by owendonovan View Post
    I've paid no attention to this case, seems like a media case done out of boredom. I'm cool with her killing herself, though.
    LOL. I love you, owen.

Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 132834353637383940 LastLast