Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Are player nicknames over used on tennis forums?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 26.15%
  • No

31 47.69%
  • I don't really care

17 26.15%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Player nicknames overused?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    That line isn't going to be in the "Disclaimer", Jessie.
    The idea of use, creation or both? I don't have a problem with use; shouldn't have put that there. It's the out-of-control creation that scares me a bit.

Dry
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie181 View Post
    Can someone tell me the story behind the nickname "Bleep"?
    I know who it's referring to, but I don't remember the story behind it.

anywho..

I'll just go out and say it. I don't really care for the part of the disclaimer that says "keep nickname creation/use at a minimum" because, to me, that could make people feel that they shouldn't create a new nickname because, say, someone already did it that day already.

I do like the sticky,though, mmmm8. I like the fact that you're also putting in how to pronounce their names right.

Jessie,
    In my first TAT suicide pool which was last year's FO, I chose Acasuso to beat a man named Lukas Dlouhy. No brainer...right? Wrong!! Acasuso was up a set and at least one break in the second set against Dlouhy. And then the meltdown started. Dlouhy came back to take the second set and rolled through sets three and four. I was bitter and began referring to him as Lukas Bleeping (or Bleepin'--both have been used) Dlouhy on this board. I've been semi obsessed with his mediocrity ever since. 4m shortened the nickname to Bleep to ease typing time.
    ADAM Member

Hah! I'm one of those lurkers that only read to the threads every few days/weeks and I do come across nicknames sometimes that I am not familiar with. I mean things like Masha, Gonzo, Rafa, Fed, Maid Marion is fine cause it is still easy to make out which players are being referred to.

However, there are some which makes me feel like .

So I do think a sticky with the nicknames would be good! Kudos to the admin!

Perhaps another suggestion would be to have a thread which would explain how the less obvious nicknames came about? In that way, new members/infrequent members can read about it and may even adopt it after knowing how it comes about.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jillz View Post
    Hah! I'm one of those lurkers that only read to the threads every few days/weeks and I do come across nicknames sometimes that I am not familiar with. I mean things like Masha, Gonzo, Rafa, Fed, Maid Marion is fine cause it is still easy to make out which players are being referred to.

Perhaps another suggestion would be to have a thread which would explain how the less obvious nicknames came about? In that way, new members/infrequent members can read about it and may even adopt it after knowing how it comes about.

Just my 2 cents worth...
    What a phenomenal suggestion! That would be fantastic reading!

Dry
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    What a phenomenal suggestion! That would be fantastic reading!

Dry
    oui.

that's french for yes.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Just my 2 cents worth...
    Great idea! Terrific post!

Ready for the suicide pools Jillz?

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

With ideas like that, you need to stop lurking so much and chime in more!!
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    Great idea! Terrific post!

Ready for the suicide pools Jillz?
    Haha... thanks all! Yeah... I'll try to come in more often cause I really like it here...

I wish I could take part in the FO suicide pools... but I'll be on a weeklong holiday in UK and Spain for the first week of the FO. Not sure if I'll be able to have internet access... I'll see how it goes...

Quote Originally Posted by oploskoffie View Post
    We could add Flimsay Blohan to the list, but she doesn't play on the WTA tour...
    Wait! She's not Hohan anymore?

As for Bleep I think a few of you got really really upset with his habit of screwing up your pools. So upset in fact that a particular four letter word was always in front of his name. To avoid any issues he became Bleep.

As for RRH...
    Last edited by Ti-Amie; 05-15-2007 at 02:59 PM.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Just my 2 cents worth...
    First of all, thanks for chiming in!

And that is a great suggestion. I was actually thinking of footnoting the less obvious nicknames, but that might get too complicated. I'll figure out how to format it so that it's both readable and fully informative.

Poor you, going on vacation and all. I suggest you cancel it for the SP

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234