Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Evgeny Korolev interview

[tptwrap]http://forum.talkabouttennis.com/images/tpt/korolev.jpg[/tptwrap]Evgeny Korolev interview
    Just this week, Evgeny Korolev, who turned 19 last month, beat the world's 6th ranked player, got inadvertently embroiled in an ATP controversy, and got through to his first ATP semifinal at the Tennis Channel Open in Las Vegas. A "quite normal life," according to Korolev. Somewhere between beating James Blake and being in the quarterfinals, out of the tournament, then in again, Evgeny took time out to answer TAT's questions.

We would like to thank all TAT's members who contributed their questions. And of course, huge thanks to Evgeny for answering our questions and to the administration of his site for helping arrange this TAT Pro Talk.

TAT: With such athletic genes, you could have picked any sport. Why tennis?

E.K.: Possibly, but mom wanted me to play tennis, and dad - hockey. But mom's side won, which I don't regret!

TAT: What's the best advice you've ever gotten?

E.K.: Advice from people close to me, but I won't tell.

TAT: Was there ever a moment or a period when you thought "Maybe I should drop tennis, lead a normal life, go to college," etc.? What serves as your motivation, what drives you as a player?

E.K.: No, I didn't have any such moments. And I have a quite normal life. And after I finish my career, I will possibly continue with college.

TAT: You didn't take part in the junior circuit. Why? Do you think that helped or hurt you, as a player and in the social sense, since you started to travel when players your age had already known each other for a long time?

E.K.: I played, but not that many. I had my own path and everything is fine in the social area.

TAT: What obstacles/difficulties did you encounter in transitioning from Challengers and Futures to ATP tourneys? How much higher is the level of play in the ATP?

E.K.: There were obstacles everywhere. I fought a lot in Futures, then in challengers, and now in the ATP. But I try very hard, my team helps me very much. The level of the ATP is very high. The guys are all experienced, and won't give away the ball easily.

TAT: What are your goals for this season? How do you measure these goals - you ranking, tournament wins...?

E.K.: To win an ATP tournament, as many as possible . I measure my goals in victories, but I don't forget about the ranking.

TAT: You've played in several Round Robin tournaments. What do you think about the format?*

E.K.: It's an interesting system. I've played several times already and fairly successfully.

TAT: Do you plan to continue living and training in Germany? There were rumors about a possible move to Florida.

E.K.: I currently live my life at tournaments. I'm often in Moscow, in Germany, but I have had no plans to move to Florida so far.

TAT: Unfortunately, an injury prevented you for playing for Russia against Chile, but you have experience from a couple Davis Cup ties. What have you gained from being on the team?

E.K.: Yes, I got some serious experience. I trained with some tennis greats. The practices gave me confidence in matches.

TAT: If you had an opportunity to change one thing about professional tennis, what would it be?

E.K.: In the ATP, everything is thought through and thought ahead, so I wouldn't change anything.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Re: Evgeny Korolev interview

Just as a note regarding the choice of questions. Some of those asked had already been answered by Evgeny in previous Q&As on his site. There is a section under news called Q&A there. Some are, unfortunately, only on the Russian version of the site

How timely was this interview. After watching this kid dismante Blake and Querrey, he has great potenial.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGirl
    How timely was this interview. After watching this kid dismante Blake and Querrey, he has great potenial.
    Indeed.

Perhaps TAT good luck rubbed off on him?

jj
    Blue Steel

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Nice "Get", m8

I'll be keeping an eye this kid for sure.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

4m8,

Outstanding. I'll be pulling for him! (most of the time) He should be a factor for many, many years on the ATP tour.
    ADAM Member

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

very enjoyable read. Please thank Evgeny from all of us. This ProChat feature has really been a wonderful thing for TAT!
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

He seems like a good kid! I didn't realize that he had by and large avoided the junior circuit.

Another great feather in TAT's Pro Chat cap!

Dry
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP