Agree Agree:  35
Likes Likes:  63
Page 346 of 346 FirstFirst ... 96246296321336342343344345346
Results 5,176 to 5,181 of 5181

Re: The Film Thread **SPOILERS**

Sure. But he is so all over the place. Mujeres al Borde de un ataque de nervios, Entre Tinieblas, and la Flor de Su Secreto? Great pieces. Kika, La Ley del Deseo, Todo Sobre Mi Madre. Please, give me a screwdriver to pull my eyes out.
    But he has some very good stuff. Only that I find I have to be careful before I see them. I have been let down plenty of times.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Ponchi is exactly right. I do love Mujeres al Borde. It never gets old. I also really liked Volver.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I liked Todo Sobre Mi Madre! It was the second of his I'd seen after Mujeres al Borde (which I first saw as a kid). I think even his weaker and randomer films have a cultural feeling that's interesting. All the early "La Movida Madrileña" ones especially.

I haven't seen Pain and Glory yet. I thought Bad Education was meh, and I'm afraid another memoir-like, autobiographical one will be as well.

About Lorca in New York....in that previous seminar, we read every word of "Poeta en Nueva York" and discussed that time a good bit. In the miniseries I mentioned above, New York doesn't play a large part, but there is a bit that is filmed there and it discusses how much the time in New York changed his style of poetry. That is very obvious when you read the poems before and after the time in New York. I will read the article you mentioned for sure as well. Thanks for including it. GH

A couple of thank-you notes:

mmmm8, Thanks for the link to that article on Lorca from the New York Times. That is a wonderful summary of what he did in New York and some of the ways NYC affected him. When I was taking that seminar, I think I made one huge mistake. Needing to read "Poeta en Nueva York", I sat down one cold morning and read the whole thing cover to cover at one sitting. Those poems are highly cynical and mostly quite depressing. Reading them all at one time was too much...I decided I didn't like them very much, and mostly because I hadn't been wanting to have my mood shot down so low. So, while I will always appreciate the skill in them, I would have to say that was my least favorite of his books of poetry.

Ponchi, Many thanks for recommending "Las Bicicletas son para el verano". And also to JazzNU for those links. I watched the whole thing this afternoon. I liked the fact that those two "halves" overlapped a bit, so I didn't miss anything watching it that way. Obviously, it was a story of all of their lives being dramatically changed by the Civil War. But one thing that struck me as a bit strange was how much their day-to-day existence still dealt with very normal issues well into the time that war was raging. Anyway, it was the perfect time for me to see this, since this week we are starting with authors, and especially poets, who wrote during and right after the war, including some who wrote in exile.

Now I've got to get back to reading and writing about our actual assignments. Glenn

If you woke up one morning and thought, what would it be like to cross "The Black Stallion" with "The Fault in Our Stars", but in German, then you would get, EXACTLY, "Rock My Heart" on Netflix. Who knew?

I think this film, which is not great, but enjoyable in a kitschig way, will only appeal to fans of at least one of the above two movies, but since I love love love The Black Stallion and appreciate The Fault in Our Stars, I surprisingly enjoyed this pleasant film.

Page 346 of 346 FirstFirst ... 96246296321336342343344345346