Agree Agree:  27
Likes Likes:  50
Page 344 of 344 FirstFirst ... 94244294319334340341342343344
Results 5,146 to 5,160 of 5160

Re: The Film Thread **SPOILERS**

Soooo....Some years, I have tried really hard to see most/all of the movies being considered for Oscars. And most of those years, I have seen almost all of them between the end of the fall semester and the beginning of the spring semester. This year, I spent the 2 weeks just before Christmas traveling with my dog in upstate New York and New England visiting friends. And Lizzie (my dog....see photo with my posts) and I just returned Sunday from hiking and camping a week in the mountains of Tennessee (during which time I spoke in person to a total of 4 humans, for a total of maybe 2 minutes).

This week I'm very busy, and next week, classes start. So I may not see any movies this year that are contending. I hope the others of you will continue to comment on the films in contention, both here and in the various award-show threads, so that I can fit in one or 2 of them as time allows. And maybe in May I'll figure out a way to watch the award winners and the others that come highly recommended.

GH

Glenn, don't forget that a few of these movies are available to watch at home as well. I know it's not your usual, you've mentioned your local theater before, but if you still want to see some of them over the next month and make it fit into your schedule, you still might be able to. The shortened window makes it much tougher, and it's so soon, not many more will even get released to video/streaming that aren't already available.

So certainly not saying you could see them all. But The Irishman, Marriage Story, and The Two Popes are from Netflix. One Child Nation and The Report are from Amazon. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood premiered at Cannes so it's already available to rent on your favorite service. Pretty sure Joker, Us, and Judy are as well. And I'm sure I'm missing several, plus we don't know the nominations just yet, so these are just guesses at some of the nominees.

JazzNU, That was a VERY helpful note. You are so right that I prefer to see them at that theater, but this year, that is going to happen very little. And your suggestions are a great way to compromise. I very much intend to try to see some of those. Thanks a bunch!!!! GH

Two questions for those of you in the know on this year's films:

1. I saw something where someone was going on and on about this being a particularly bad year for category fraud...the category that was being ranted about was Supporting Actor. Comments?

2. When I saw Django Unchained, I pretty much swore I'd never go to another Quentin Tarantino movie. I really detest purely gratuitous violence, and for me, that movie went way too far (remember the dog scene, and keep what you know about me in mind). Anyway, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood seems to be getting a ton of buzz, and was mentioned in JazzNU's recommendations as one I could get to see at home. So my question: How bad is the violence, and if there is a lot, is it there for the sake of showing violence or is it making a valid point (you can tell from that question what I have thought of his other movies)?

Thanks....GH
    Last edited by GlennHarman; 01-08-2020 at 03:26 AM. Reason: correcting a typo

Prioritize:

Joker - it has moments of real violence
    Parasite
    Little Women
    Marriage Story
    JoJo Rabbit
    The Farewell
    Once Upon a Time... - Also violent at times
    Knives Out

Hustler
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

I had not seen a Tarantino film since the two Kill Bill offerings. OUATIH intrigued me, but ultimately I didn't care too much for the film. The production design was good and there were solid performances, but I didn't find the story very compelling. And the final act of the film is a WAY over the top mess. So ridiculous and silly it left my mate and I groaning as we left the cinema.
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

I haven't seen a Tarantino film since the "Kill Bill" films either.
    Also, I usually don't have to be coerced to see a Brad Pitt film. It's not the violence that's holding me back - Pitt's very early film "Kalifornia" wasn't a walk in the park - and yet I'm holding back on seeing OUATIH.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by the Moz View Post
    I had not seen a Tarantino film since the two Kill Bill offerings. OUATIH intrigued me, but ultimately I didn't care too much for the film. The production design was good and there were solid performances, but I didn't find the story very compelling. And the final act of the film is a WAY over the top mess. So ridiculous and silly it left my mate and I groaning as we left the cinema.
    The ending was a relief and the only way out of the mousetrap he was building. If it had remained historically accurate, imagine what we would have had to sit through? It would have been unwatchable, even for the most ardent fan.

I'm not defending him, I hated the violence against Jennifer Jason Leigh in his last movie.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Glenn, don't forget that a few of these movies are available to watch at home as well. I know it's not your usual, you've mentioned your local theater before, but if you still want to see some of them over the next month and make it fit into your schedule, you still might be able to. The shortened window makes it much tougher, and it's so soon, not many more will even get released to video/streaming that aren't already available.

So certainly not saying you could see them all. But The Irishman, Marriage Story, and The Two Popes are from Netflix. One Child Nation and The Report are from Amazon. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood premiered at Cannes so it's already available to rent on your favorite service. Pretty sure Joker, Us, and Judy are as well. And I'm sure I'm missing several, plus we don't know the nominations just yet, so these are just guesses at some of the nominees.
    And Apollo 11, which will very hopefully be a documentary nominee is on Hulu! And it's astounding.

If you think Little Women might even sort of be in your wheelhouse, Glenn, I'd say definitely prioritize that. I have only had a passing interest in that story but this new adaptation is just full of warmth and energy. And Laura Dern.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Thanks for the further recommendations. I think I can get to one movie this weekend, and [I]Little Women[I] is still playing here. So that will very likely be the one. GH

Keep in mind that Little Women was not nominated for any SAG Awards and only got 2 Golden Globes nominations. See it first if that's the one you want to see the most for sure, but if you're trying to prioritize nominated films and roles, it seems unlikely this will be one topping the nominations count. I think most believe it's a shoo-in to be nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay. With a decent chance at Best Picture but only because of the expanded number.

Good to hear you guys like it so much. I'll see it eventually, but haven't made it a priority. But I'd guess the voters might be having A Star is Born type problems here like I do. But possibly worse. Instead of a 70s remake, you're dealing with a 1994 adaptation that was wonderful with a superb cast then, that only looks better with time. And those bringing up this adaptation having a female director must think Gillian Armstrong is a man. And this is the 6th or 7th adaptation of the book. Looking at the Golden Globes and various Guild nominations, seems like an uphill battle for this one.

We'll know soon. Oscar noms are out on Monday.

Speaking of the Oscar noms does everyone want to see all of the categories or just the major ones ? I've been thinking of listing just the major ones and posting the link for all the technical ones.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Speaking of the Oscar noms does everyone want to see all of the categories or just the major ones ? I've been thinking of listing just the major ones and posting the link for all the technical ones.
    I make a concerted effort to see everything nominated in Picture, Director, Adapted and Original Screenplay, and all 4 acting categories. And Documentary feature. I love the Oscars even though they are, of course, pretty frivolous. But the nominations do really help me contextualize a year in film in a way that I take something from. The technical awards and Shorts are usually take or leave for me. I have a friend who makes a point to see everything nominated through any means available. I don't have the energy to drive 250 miles to catch that hot Best Original Song nominee but I guess I'm just lazy.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that you meant "want to see" as in "want to see posted here." LOL. Disregard. Whichever makes the most sense for you.
    Last edited by munchin; 01-09-2020 at 01:52 PM.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    I make a concerted effort to see everything nominated in Picture, Director, Adapted and Original Screenplay, and all 4 acting categories. And Documentary feature. I love the Oscars even though they are, of course, pretty frivolous. But the nominations do really help me contextualize a year in film in a way that I take something from. The technical awards and Shorts are usually take or leave for me. I have a friend who makes a point to see everything nominated through any means available. I don't have the energy to drive 250 miles to catch that hot Best Original Song nominee but I guess I'm just lazy.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that you meant "want to see" as in "want to see posted here." LOL. Disregard. Whichever makes the most sense for you.
    Actually I like what you said re the nominations. that's exactly the guidance I was looking for.

― Frank Zappa

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Saw 1917. It's a heck of a ride, and Deakins' cinematography is amazing. The movie is made like one long shot. Works well in this kind of movie. I suppose its detractors might argue Mendes went for thrills at the expense of making a true war movie. But, for those who have trouble with movies like Platoon or Apocalypse Now, this is a lot easier to handle because of those thrills, and the fast pace.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Page 344 of 344 FirstFirst ... 94244294319334340341342343344