Agree Agree:  25
Likes Likes:  40
Page 5 of 342 FirstFirst 123456789153055105255 ... LastLast
    SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: The Film Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
    It's true, it's true!! A friend sent me a copy of that for fun and I doubt that even if I was high when I watched it, which he insisted was the best way to view it, that it would have been any better.
    hehehe...trust me, Danielle, substances did not help.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jsd123789456 View Post
    going random here, i watched a prairie home companion the other night and enjoyed it, a little odd like any altman film but very enjoyable with good music also (woody harrelson and john reilly were hysterical)
    I put Altman in the auteur/genuis category. "Nashville" is one of the 5 all time greatest films in my opinion. Everything about the movie is brilliant and original. And while he has missed as often as he has hit (see, e.g. Three Women, Health, Quintet), he was never anything less than original. And this is someone who bookended "MASH" and "Gosford Park", two outstanding films as part of a 35 + year directorial oeuvre

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
    Well, a few reasons...I love that his films always have quirky characters but I couldn't get past Penelope's sister in this one. For me, her acting was so bad it took me out of the story every time she was around - and she was around a lot. I saw the plot "twist(s)" (maybe not the best phrase for it but..) coming from a mile away (not that that's a bad thing but it set up certain expectations of how he would deal with things that were never met) and there was something about the timeline of Penelope's childhood and what apparently happened to her that didn't make sense to me either (trying not to give away spoilers here). He hinted at a romance that went nowhere (so why put it in at all?). And I guess part of me felt like he dealt with a very dark issue by glossing over it in a somewhat lighthearted, breezy way that didn't seem appropriate.

It had some lovely moments, especially as someone who's lost her mother and wishes I could have a moment of "reunion" as well, but overall it just didn't gel at all for me.
    I sent you a PM. Spoilers and all that.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

was anyone else a fan of "28 Days Later"? I really enjoyed it. Very much looking forward to catching "28 Weeks Later" tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    was anyone else a fan of "28 Days Later"? I really enjoyed it. Very much looking forward to catching "28 Weeks Later" tonight
    Zombie movies freak me out, but I watch them all. I liked 28 Days Later too, Moose. Especially knowing the backstory of how it had been filmed. But when I saw the previews for 28 Weeks Later, I noticed an absense of English accents. I guess it's become a Hollywood project now? Don't know what to think about that.

I was talking to Mr. Koffie about Night of the Living Dead in TATchat the other week. There was so much social commentary in that film that made it much more than a zombie flick.

jj
    Blue Steel

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jjnow View Post
    Zombie movies freak me out, but I watch them all. I liked 28 Days Later too, Moose. Especially knowing the backstory of how it had been filmed. But when I saw the previews for 28 Weeks Later, I noticed an absense of English accents. I guess it's become a Hollywood project now? Don't know what to think about that.

I was talking to Mr. Koffie about Night of the Living Dead in TATchat the other week. There was so much social commentary in that film that made it much more than a zombie flick.

jj
    "Night Of The Living Dead" is a classic, JJ. Two others that I reccomend for for entertainment value than the scare factor. "Shaun Of The Dead" is a hoot. And while no one that I know understands what it is that I love about it, "Night Of The Comet" is one of my fave cheeseball entertainment pics. I think its the Valley Girls v. Zombies motif, and the opp for some great lines spilling out of their mouths that makes it enjoyable

My Friday night flick is "Talk To Her" by Almodovar. My Sunday flick will probably be "Nashville". It's been a long time since I've seen it. I'm holding "Babel" for the long weekend at the end of the month.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    My Friday night flick is "Talk To Her" by Almodovar. My Sunday flick will probably be "Nashville". It's been a long time since I've seen it. I'm holding "Babel" for the long weekend at the end of the month.
    those are two great movies Ti. I've expressed my opinion on "Nashville" enough, but if it is a movie you come to love, there is an outstanding book called "The Nashville Chronicles" that's a verbal history of the making of the film. Great companion to this classic.

My favorite scene in "Nashville"...Tom (Keith Carradine) doing his solo show in the bar where every woman that he has slept with is there watching. He's singing "I'm Easy"....the camera work is incredible as they keep panning to each character that he has fooled around with, with the clear indication that he is singing the song to them...camera cuts to Lily Tomlin and back to Keith, and without one word being uttered, you know exactly who the song is being sent out to.

I've actually been wanting to see Shaun of the Dead for a while now, Moose. I had a friend who saw it when it was in theaters and he talked about it for months.

I joined Netflix yesterday. OMG. I'm in love.

jj
    Blue Steel

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    those are two great movies Ti. I've expressed my opinion on "Nashville" enough, but if it is a movie you come to love, there is an outstanding book called "The Nashville Chronicles" that's a verbal history of the making of the film. Great companion to this classic.

My favorite scene in "Nashville"...Tom (Keith Carradine) doing his solo show in the bar where every woman that he has slept with is there watching. He's singing "I'm Easy"....the camera work is incredible as they keep panning to each character that he has fooled around with, with the clear indication that he is singing the song to them...camera cuts to Lily Tomlin and back to Keith, and without one word being uttered, you know exactly who the song is being sent out to.
    Thanks to Moose, I read "The Nashville Chronicles," and must also add my strong recommendation for this book. Moving in sections, with good won't-make-you-feel-dirty-afterwards gossip- it's just a very intelligent read. I also recently bought the DVD for "Nashville," and will have to get around to re-seeing this at some point. OH, Lily so much should have won the Oscar.

And BTW- my man and I are seeing Lily this Sunday. He got the tickets for an X-mas present. It's in some suburb not that far from Chicago, I think. Strangely enough, he has no idea what she will be doing. Still, I had the thrill of seeing her Signs of Intelligent Life show twice, so anything with Lily is fine with me.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
    so anything with Lily is fine with me.
    ditto*

*except "Moment By Moment". My god, that was awful

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

saw "28 Weeks Later". Good, but not as surprisingly good as "28 Days Later"...and a lot of gore.

I'm going to watch Volver in a few minutes .
    I'll tell you guys if I like it or not

So I watched "Talk To Her". Maybe it's because I was expecting so much from it but I was underwhelmed.

I got the points Almodovar was trying to make about the different ways men and women communicate and how men tend to talk at women instead of to women as well as all the other stuff but it was the least satisfying of all the ones I've seen so far. I wanted to know more about Lydia.

I didn't make it to "Nashville". I did a Law and Order afternoon. I find that show relaxing.

Jessie how did you like "Volver"?
    Last edited by Ti-Amie; 05-13-2007 at 05:39 PM.

― Frank Zappa

I just watched Children of Men. Absolutely hated it. If someone who enjoyed it can tell me what I missed, I'd appreciate it.

Little Children was definitely a novel on film. Compelling, idiosyncratic characters. Good dialogue. Interesting storylines. Not buying the Kate Winslet nomination, but still a solid film.
    Last edited by craighickman; 05-13-2007 at 05:39 PM.

Page 5 of 342 FirstFirst 123456789153055105255 ... LastLast