Agree Agree:  15
Likes Likes:  37
Page 4 of 340 FirstFirst 12345678142954104254 ... LastLast
    Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Re: The Film Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
    .....as nelslus resorts to talking to himself....
    I think everyone's upset about your infidelity

Quote Originally Posted by GVGirl View Post
    I love Robby D. He lives in Tribeca on Greenwich. He loses tons of money on this festival but he is more concerned with bringing business back to downtown since 911. I did a little work for the festival this year. He also has a film institute that promotes the under-represented in the business of films (people of color and women) and has seminars and such for them.

My favorite RD films are of course :"Godfather 2," Raging Bull" and "Taxi Driver." "Once upon a time in America" wasn't bad either.

And even though people didn't like it, I loved the movie "the Score" which also starred Marlon Brando and Edward Norton. Angela Basset had a small role in it as Deniro's girlfriend.
    Godfather Pt. II is my fave, GVGirl. The opening 10 minutes when little Vito escapes the wrath of Don Ciccio and sets sail for Ellis Island is probably my favorite scene of any movie I've ever watched.

jj
    Blue Steel

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I think everyone's upset about your infidelity
    Infedelity...regarding what??

*in whiny voice*
    I wanna know the gossip!! I wanna know!

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie181 View Post
    Infedelity...regarding what??

*in whiny voice*
    I wanna know the gossip!! I wanna know!

read Nelslus' post

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
    .....as nelslus resorts to talking to himself....
    speaking of offbeat films with gay themes....Sebastiane. Story of St. Sebastian. Odd little film, but I remember it being one of those films that really frew you in with some beautiful imagery and compelling acting performances. A little on the erotic side. Very moody music by Brian Eno.

Saw it in the late 70s at the TLA in Philly, which was a repertoire moviehouse, always showing a mix of interesting and arty films, retrospectives, classic noirs and other b&ws, and was the home of "Rocky Horror" here in Philly for 20+ years. It was the same theater where I first saw such classics as Harold & Maude, King of Hearts...and saw the worst film ever made, "Liquid Sky"
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    speaking of offbeat films with gay themes....Sebastiane. Story of St. Sebastian. Odd little film, but I remember it being one of those films that really frew you in with some beautiful imagery and compelling acting performances. A little on the erotic side. Very moody music by Brian Eno.

Saw it in the late 70s at the TLA in Philly, which was a repertoire moviehouse, always showing a mix of interesting and arty films, retrospectives, classic noirs and other b&ws, and was the home of "Rocky Horror" here in Philly for 20+ years. It was the same theater where I first saw such classics as Harold & Maude, King of Hearts...and saw the worst film ever made, "Liquid Sky"
    There's always Poison.

read Nelslus' post
    I just did.

I can't believe he's cheating on us with Wtaweird's blast from the past.
    that floozy.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by jjnow View Post
    Godfather Pt. II is my fave, GVGirl. The opening 10 minutes when little Vito escapes the wrath of Don Ciccio and sets sail for Ellis Island is probably my favorite scene of any movie I've ever watched.

jj
    I just now got an e-mail saying the Coppola is speaking at Columbia on May 19 and that there are tickets. This would be a nice post tennis at Forest Hills thing to go to, but the ticket office is open 10-5 and I don't make it there.

(Sorry, random)

Tour Pro
    Awards Showcase

Currently University of Missouri, wished it was still Houston

going random here, i watched a prairie home companion the other night and enjoyed it, a little odd like any altman film but very enjoyable with good music also (woody harrelson and john reilly were hysterical)
    "well jesus christ i'm alone again, so what did you do those three days you were dead? cause this problems gonna last, more than the weekend..." ~ brand new

I just now got an e-mail saying the Coppola is speaking at Columbia on May 19 and that there are tickets. This would be a nice post tennis at Forest Hills thing to go to, but the ticket office is open 10-5 and I don't make it there.

(Sorry, random)
    So you won't get to go? I imagine it would be really entertaining.

jj
    Blue Steel

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by jjnow View Post
    So you won't get to go? I imagine it would be really entertaining.

jj
    They're showing a documentary he released about his work (called CODA) and then doing a Q&A. I think i'm going to see if a friend who is still in school wants to pick up tickets for me go with me. But they probably will give one ticket per person.

Fed Fan
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Definitely some great recommendations here to add to the "must rent" list. My two cents before I hit the hay:

The film I've been raving to everyone about lately is this year's oscar winner for best foreign film "The Lives of Others." Wow. Just wow. Sadly, there are rumors swirling about an American remake which I think would be a HUGE mistake...but then I'm not big into remakes in general.

I never have managed to completely through The Crying Game, but another Neil Jordan film that blew me away was The Butcher Boy.

There are so many things I love about Almodovar films but, sadly, I was very disappointed in Volver.
    16 and counting...

JUPITER'S GHOST - catch up on all the episodes at http://www.youtube.com/user/jupitersghost

Tennis begins with love.

Fed Fan
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    and saw the worst film ever made, "Liquid Sky"
    It's true, it's true!! A friend sent me a copy of that for fun and I doubt that even if I was high when I watched it, which he insisted was the best way to view it, that it would have been any better.
    16 and counting...

JUPITER'S GHOST - catch up on all the episodes at http://www.youtube.com/user/jupitersghost

Tennis begins with love.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
    Definitely some great recommendations here to add to the "must rent" list. My two cents before I hit the hay:

The film I've been raving to everyone about lately is this year's oscar winner for best foreign film "The Lives of Others." Wow. Just wow. Sadly, there are rumors swirling about an American remake which I think would be a HUGE mistake...but then I'm not big into remakes in general.

I never have managed to completely through The Crying Game, but another Neil Jordan film that blew me away was The Butcher Boy.

There are so many things I love about Almodovar films but, sadly, I was very disappointed in Volver.
    Just wondering, why?

Fed Fan
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Just wondering, why?
    Well, a few reasons...I love that his films always have quirky characters but I couldn't get past Penelope's sister in this one. For me, her acting was so bad it took me out of the story every time she was around - and she was around a lot. I saw the plot "twist(s)" (maybe not the best phrase for it but..) coming from a mile away (not that that's a bad thing but it set up certain expectations of how he would deal with things that were never met) and there was something about the timeline of Penelope's childhood and what apparently happened to her that didn't make sense to me either (trying not to give away spoilers here). He hinted at a romance that went nowhere (so why put it in at all?). And I guess part of me felt like he dealt with a very dark issue by glossing over it in a somewhat lighthearted, breezy way that didn't seem appropriate.

It had some lovely moments, especially as someone who's lost her mother and wishes I could have a moment of "reunion" as well, but overall it just didn't gel at all for me.
    16 and counting...

Tennis begins with love.

Page 4 of 340 FirstFirst 12345678142954104254 ... LastLast