Agree Agree:  15
Likes Likes:  37
Page 3 of 340 FirstFirst 1234567132853103253 ... LastLast
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: The Film Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jjnow View Post
    I don't think I could handle Pink Flamingos. I may get brave and rent it one day.

The best part of Polyester was when the daughter was in the women's clinic and the abortion protesters barge through the doors with crucified baby dolls screaming "What if Mary and Joseph had had an abortion!?" Afterwards the mother calls the emergency Catholic line and the nuns come rolling up in the driveway and throw the girl in their car trunk. That was hilarious.

I've never seen The Mudge Boy, but I remember it being discussed on here before. You may have been the one mentioning it then, Dry.

jj
    "SSSSMACK! That's from Jesus! That's what he would do!"

The Mudge Boy came up on another board. It's just a very, well, odd story swirling with a bunch of different emotions and dynamics. But I highly recommend it for someone who finds himself or herself in an emotional, "I need to be raptured" mood.

Dry

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    The Optimists
    You can watch it for free online: http://www.jaman.com/a/video/05NL3fVk1pxs/
    It's only available through May 9

A really great film about post-Milosevic Serbia. Not a happy movie, it sort of centers around the theme of hopelessness. But done with humor. There 5 separate vignettes that make up the movie. They all star one actor (he was really good) but aren't related.

The Director is Goran Paskaljevic, he's having a retrospective at the Museum of Modern Art next winter.

Definitely watch it if you have a chance

Just a little reminder because this film is free (at the site above) until tomorrow.

The site itself is pretty great - lots of indies and foreign films, free or really cheap (hmm..maybe it should go in the site thread).

Speaking of abortion clinics and Jesus, but on a completely different level, Saved! was a great satire. Just a hilarious film, especially if you know some militant Southern baptists.
    "I keep trying to remind myself that when Jesus closes a door he opens a window" "Yeah, so we have something to jump out of."

Quote Originally Posted by GVGirl View Post
    No, the one about the Afghan cab driver was Taxi to the Darkside, which was also very good.

Shame..here is the "official description"
    In 2002, Mukhtaran Mai, a woman living in a remote Pakistani village, was publicly gang raped to atone for a crime her brother allegedly committed. Instead of killing herself, as she was expected to do, she raised an outcry that became an international cause. A powerful essay in courage.

Mai has won several international awards for her courage. It was a very moving documentary.

Ti, did you go to TFF?
    I think I've heard of this woman. I think she was on the Woman of the Year awards in 2005. I vaguely remember Venus mentioning Mukhtaran in her speech that year. Sad story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Ooohh! Another gossip site.

Volver is excellent. A great introduction to Almodovar.

I haven't heard of the other movie. I'll be on the lookout for it.

Forrest Whitaker is one of those actors who sneaks up on you. I got introduced to him on "The Shield" where he plays the guy determined to get Vic Mackey. He should have gotten an Emmy nod for that role btw.
    Yeah..I'll definitely watch Volver then.
    Yeah, I heard from a friend that Goya's Ghosts is a great movie.

And yes, Forrest Whitaker is one of those actors who sneak up on you. I thought he was great in The crying game. I've yet to see the movie he won his oscar for, though.

Volver was great, Jessie.

I think I brought up Goya's Ghosts in the Random thread. Sounds interesting to me too
    Yeah..I'll probably try and get it online or something..or rent it...if I can find it. Do you know if it's out on dvd yet?

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Not sure which you're asking about

Goya's Ghosts gets released in the US in the summer (it's probably online in Spanish)

Volver's out on DVD

Not sure which you're asking about

Goya's Ghosts gets released in the US in the summer (it's probably online in Spanish)

Volver's out on DVD
    lol.

Oops. Well, my friend told me it was already released in Latin America (or so he says), so I assumed it was already out over here.
    Guess I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGirl View Post
    No, the one about the Afghan cab driver was Taxi to the Darkside, which was also very good.

Shame..here is the "official description"
    In 2002, Mukhtaran Mai, a woman living in a remote Pakistani village, was publicly gang raped to atone for a crime her brother allegedly committed. Instead of killing herself, as she was expected to do, she raised an outcry that became an international cause. A powerful essay in courage.

Mai has won several international awards for her courage. It was a very moving documentary.

Ti, did you go to TFF?
    Sadly, no. I think I'm going to try and go next year. De Niro is another man who puts his money where his mouth is. He's a New Yorker, lives in Manhattan (He can damn sure afford it) and presents this festival. I've always been a fan of his.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Just a little reminder because this film is free (at the site above) until tomorrow.

The site itself is pretty great - lots of indies and foreign films, free or really cheap (hmm..maybe it should go in the site thread).

Speaking of abortion clinics and Jesus, but on a completely different level, Saved! was a great satire. Just a hilarious film, especially if you know some militant Southern baptists.
    "I keep trying to remind myself that when Jesus closes a door he opens a window" "Yeah, so we have something to jump out of."
    I definitely want to see Saved. I'm sure it would be like a walk down memory lane.

And I actually want to see that documentary Jesus Camp.

jj
    Blue Steel

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I definitely want to see Saved. I'm sure it would be like a walk down memory lane.

jj
    I'm scared of that one

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie181 View Post
    I think I've heard of this woman. I think she was on the Woman of the Year awards in 2005. I vaguely remember Venus mentioning Mukhtaran in her speech that year. Sad story.

She was and had a heck of a time getting out of the country to get it.

jj
    I have one word to describe Jesus Camp: frightening.

Quote Originally Posted by craighickman View Post
    you've seen it, craig?

I've been wanting to see it...mostly because I want to complain about how today's society is all screwed up and about religious fanaticism..but it also looks quite interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
    I actually have an off-the-beaten track film recommendation, called "C.R.A.Z.Y." Of all things, this film was recommended to me by an Aussie buddy of mine from my other tennis site, WTA World's Blast From the Past." (Yes, it is true, I at times cheat on TAT with BFTP. And, no matter how much degradation is involved, TAT always takes me back.) AND, this film was made in Canada, it's in French and has subtitles. It is a hard film to describe- some gay themes, family dysfunction, angst, etc., etc. In any case, it really is an original, well done and thought provoking film, going unexpected places, and is available on DVD.
    .....as nelslus resorts to talking to himself....
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by craighickman View Post
    I saw the woman who runs the camp on GMA.

She's a nut.

jj
    Blue Steel

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Sadly, no. I think I'm going to try and go next year. De Niro is another man who puts his money where his mouth is. He's a New Yorker, lives in Manhattan (He can damn sure afford it) and presents this festival. I've always been a fan of his.
    I love Robby D. He lives in Tribeca on Greenwich. He loses tons of money on this festival but he is more concerned with bringing business back to downtown since 911. I did a little work for the festival this year. He also has a film institute that promotes the under-represented in the business of films (people of color and women) and has seminars and such for them.

My favorite RD films are of course :"Godfather 2," Raging Bull" and "Taxi Driver." "Once upon a time in America" wasn't bad either.

And even though people didn't like it, I loved the movie "the Score" which also starred Marlon Brando and Edward Norton. Angela Basset had a small role in it as Deniro's girlfriend.

Page 3 of 340 FirstFirst 1234567132853103253 ... LastLast