Agree Agree:  15
Likes Likes:  38
Page 340 of 341 FirstFirst ... 90240290315330336337338339340341 LastLast
Results 5,086 to 5,100 of 5103

Re: The Film Thread **SPOILERS**

See my comments earlier about The Favourite. I swear I went to that movie anticipating liking it very much. And then just the opposite happened. I am sure I will be in the minority on this one. I usually like historical drama, and I usually like the rather satirical look at personalities we saw there. But I really didn't care for it.

President Obama released his "Best of 2018" lists for books, music and film. I thought you guys would be interested in the film list.

FILMS

The films the former president watched this year include Alex Garland’s science fiction thriller Annihilation, Armando Ianucci’s satire The Death of Stalin, Bo Welch’s indie hit Eighth Grade, Barry Jenkins’s adaptation of James Baldwin’s If Beale Street Could Talk, and Debra Granik’s acclaimed Leave No Trace.

Annihilation
    Black Panther
    BlacKkKlansman
    Blindspotting
    Burning
    The Death of Stalin
    Eighth Grade
    If Beale Street Could Talk
    Leave No Trace
    Minding the Gap
    The Rider
    Roma
    Shoplifters
    Support the Girls
    Won’t You Be My Neighbor
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

The FT Best films of 2018:

1. Free Solo
    2. Roma
    3. An Elephant Sitting Still
    4. They Shall Not Grow Old
    5. Sicilian Ghost Story
    6. The House that Jack Built
    7. A Fantastic Woman
    8. Apostasy
    9. Widows
    10. Mirai
    Last edited by MJ2004; 12-29-2018 at 03:35 PM.

Free Solo is one of the 5 "favorites" for a Best Feature Length Documentary on Indiewire. As is typical, the documentary categories are packed with quality. On Rotten Tomatoes, Free Solo got a 98% score from the critics, and a 95% score from audiences. As a combination of the 2 scores, those are astronomical numbers.

Now....true confessions. Despite all my hiking, I suffer from a fair dose of acrophobia. This has always kept me away from mountain-climbing, and made for a few really uncomfortable moments on the Appalachian Trail, especially on Mount Katahdin as an example, which I almost certainly could not have done without 3 friends along. When I saw the trailer for Free Solo, I had a lot of trouble watching it, and knew I would never get through the movie. So I won't even try to watch what was apparently an exceptional movie.

Of course, I was glad to see that they also loved Roma.

GH

If Beale Street Could Talk is so beautiful and powerful, I could barely speak after seeing it. I was going in expecting an experience like 'Moonlight,' which took me 2 full viewings before I really "got" it, but this film is so entrancing, immediately and right to the end. Where 'Moonlight' was sort of intentionally sparse and quiet, this film is so lush and full of life and color and music. Barry Jenkins has so many tools in his toolbox I can barely wait to see what he does next.

Sidenote: There's a wordless scene where Regina King is getting dressed in a mirror that is so perfectly timed, performed and edited that I applauded in the middle of the movie
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

I'm planning on seeing If Beale Street Could Talk this weekend. I am so looking forward to it, since I truly loved Moonlight.

GH

If Beale Street Could Talk is extraordinary in many ways as munchin says, and Barry Jenkins is the most talented of the current crop of new directors. I personally want to own every piece of wardrobe in the film. Same cinematographer as Moonlight, and man, the guy is exquisitely talented at lighting non-Caucasian faces. Love, love, his work! Some people have whined about the score but I thought it was terrific and apt.

Slight structural problems since the movie is not about plot, then decides to get plotty, and then remembers it is not about plot and sort of doesn't care to offer any scenes that would wrap up a traditional plot. Lol.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

I'm checking out Beale at the weekend. Looking forward to it.
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

I love your movie discussions on here, and been following your different threads for a long time.

I picked up Blingspotting from our local piblic library yesterday after hearing some twitter chatter about this movie.

I was blown away. Probably my favorite movie of 2018, from those that I have watched. Apparently Daveed Diggs and Rafael Casal (the main leads) took their time developing this script and it shows. Really well acted and shot, with such a good use of music as well. Shame it barely got any awards buzz.

greenhopper.....You just added another movie to my wish list. Thanks...GH

If you get a chance to check out the new documentary on Apollo 11 (aptly titled Apollo 11), definitely do it. It's just extraordinary. I don't want to even say too much about it, because my experience was dramatically heightened by having done very little research about the film before seeing it, except to say that it a) contains tons of previously unreleased archival audio and video footage that has been digitized and remastered to an astonishingly high quality, and b) it's made in the spirit of direct cinema, meaning there are no talking heads and no narration - the footage tells the whole story. It's eye-popping, gripping storytelling and I feel so envious of the next generations of space-nerd children, like I was, who are going to get to experience the moon landing through this film. When The Eagle landed, there was thunderous applause in my theater, almost as if we weren't sure if they were gonna succeed

Also, documentaries seem to be having a moment right now (Free Solo, for example, was playing at my local multiplex for like 2 months. Last year, people shouted from the rooftops about Three Identical Strangers and Won't You Be My Neighbor? and Minding the Gap for months after they came out) and I am just loving it! Perhaps people are finding more value in "true" stories in light of the current administration's disinterest in it, I dunno, but it seems to be easier than before to see high-quality documentary work on the big screen right now.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

For anyone that is interested - Here are the winners from Cannes Film Festival this year. The Palme d'Or was an upset of sorts, Pedro Almodóvar's Pain and Glory was widely thought to come out the winner. This is the first time a Korean director has won the top prize.

Palme d’Or
    Parasite, dir: Bong Joon-ho

Grand Prize
    Atlantics, dir: Mati Diop

Best Actor
    Antonio Banderas; Pain And Glory

Jury Prize (TIE)
    Les Misérables, dir: Ladj Ly
    Bacurau, dirs: Kleber Mendonça Filho, Juliano Dornelles

Best Director(s)
    Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne, The Young Ahmed

Best Actress
    Emily Beecham, Little Joe

Best Screenplay
    Céline Sciamma, Portrait Of A Lady On Fire

Special Mention
    It Must Be Heaven, dir: Elia Suleiman

Camera d’Or
    Our Mothers, dir: Cesar Diaz

Short Film Palme d’Or
    The Distance Between Us And The Sky, dir: Vasilis Kekatos
    Special Mention: Monster God, dir: Agustina San Martin

20th Century Fox
    ‏Verified account
    @20thcenturyfox
    Jun 17
    More
    Meet the cast of director Steven Spielberg's #WestSideStory: Maria (newcomer Rachel Zegler), Tony (Ansel Elgort), The Jets (left) and The Sharks (right).

I don't understand remaking a movie that doesn't need a remake.

I don't understand why, all these years later, the role of Puerto Rican "Maria" is being played by a woman who is Colombian on her mothre's side and who probably knows zip about Puerto Rican culture.

To repeat what someone else said this looks like a Gap ad.

Rita Moreno is playing someone named "Valentina" per IMDb. No Anita.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

There is an Anita.

The actress playing Maria was cast after an open submission was posted on social media looking for Latinx actors wanting to audition for the movie. There was an amazing response, don't remember the number, but it was a lot and she won the role. Maria, Anita, and (I don't know the play well enough to know the characters names but I think it's the Sharks) have all been cast with Latinx actors. I know at least some are Puerto Rican, but not sure there's a % or anything.

Don't remember much about the actress playing Maria besides that she's from Jersey and is basically an unknown.

Based on the photo they posted, I'd hope they work in post production on the current filter being used cause this is looking a tad color struck. I know the picture I saw of the actress when she was announced early this year and she's most certainly not always this kind of light.
    Last edited by JazzNU; Yesterday at 09:29 PM.

Back in the day my friend and I saw this movie every chance we got. I know it by heart. The opening scene of the movie is a classic.

That said the movie was about the clash between ethnic whites and newly arriving Puerto Rican's. It wasn't about "Latino/x"'s. Maybe Spielberg is making it about that I don't know.

The song "America" was controversial back then and was social commentary between Anita and Maria's brother Bernardo, leader of the Sharks.

The original also garnered laughs when Tony, after the dance at the gym, goes looking for the girl he just met, goes into an alley and calls out "Maria!" and only the "Maria" he's looking for appeared.

The original movie was filmed on the site of what is now Lincoln Center.

Page 340 of 341 FirstFirst ... 90240290315330336337338339340341 LastLast