Agree Agree:  19
Likes Likes:  39
Page 2 of 341 FirstFirst 123456122752102252 ... LastLast

Re: The Film Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    Have you ever seen Mary then, Craig? It's a weird but interesting film, but no one's seen it.
    I did. Weird is an understatement. Good cast, though. I wasn't a fan of the writing.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by craighickman View Post
    I did. Weird is an understatement. Good cast, though. I wasn't a fan of the writing.

I was really uncomfortable with the whole movie, but it was thought-provoking at least. I can't remember what it was now but I had a big philosophical argument with it.

Forrest Whitaker was in a movie that made its debut at TFF called "The Air that I Breathe" which should be coming out in theaters soon. It was an ensemble type of film with several storylines.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I was really uncomfortable with the whole movie, but it was thought-provoking at least. I can't remember what it was now but I had a big philosophical argument with it.
    Not the kind of film that needs to be seen more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGirl View Post
    I wanted to see Tuya's Marriage at TFF, but I didn't have time, but I saw some good movies that will probably never be released here unless it's at the Angelica Film Center in NYC.

I saw a documentary called Shame about Mukhtaran Mai. Excellent.
    Is that the one about the Afghan cab driver?
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Is that the one about the Afghan cab driver?
    No, the one about the Afghan cab driver was Taxi to the Darkside, which was also very good.

Shame..here is the "official description"
    In 2002, Mukhtaran Mai, a woman living in a remote Pakistani village, was publicly gang raped to atone for a crime her brother allegedly committed. Instead of killing herself, as she was expected to do, she raised an outcry that became an international cause. A powerful essay in courage.

Mai has won several international awards for her courage. It was a very moving documentary.

Ti, did you go to TFF?

Quote Originally Posted by GVGirl View Post
    No, the one about the Afghan cab driver was Taxi to the Darkside, which was also very good.

Shame..here is the "official description"
    In 2002, Mukhtaran Mai, a woman living in a remote Pakistani village, was publicly gang raped to atone for a crime her brother allegedly committed. Instead of killing herself, as she was expected to do, she raised an outcry that became an international cause. A powerful essay in courage.

Mai has won several international awards for her courage. It was a very moving documentary.

Ti, did you go to TFF?
    I just lost a bite of my breakfast on this post. And I'm certainly not laughing.

Shame was a very powerful documentary. I found out from the film's director that Showtime will be showing it sometime soon as they picked up the US rights to it.

Speaking of Forest Whitaker and The Crying Game, am I the only one who didn't care for the film? I thought it was excellent...until the ending. Then it almost turned comedy. Maybe it's one of those films you need to watch twice to appreciate.

But I agree re: Forest Whitaker on The Shield, Ti. They have some of the best guest stars on television. In fact, I didn't even start watching the show regularly until I found out Glenn Close was taking over the unit.

And speaking of Glenn Close, I just recently saw Dangerous Liaisons, which also stars John Malkovich and Uma Thurman. Now that's how you make a period film!

jj
    Blue Steel

I actually have an off-the-beaten track film recommendation, called "C.R.A.Z.Y." Of all things, this film was recommended to me by an Aussie buddy of mine from my other tennis site, WTA World's Blast From the Past." (Yes, it is true, I at times cheat on TAT with BFTP. And, no matter how much degradation is involved, TAT always takes me back.) AND, this film was made in Canada, it's in French and has subtitles. It is a hard film to describe- some gay themes, family dysfunction, angst, etc., etc. In any case, it really is an original, well done and thought provoking film, going unexpected places, and is available on DVD.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jjnow View Post
    Speaking of Forest Whitaker and The Crying Game, am I the only one who didn't care for the film? I thought it was excellent...until the ending. Then it almost turned comedy. Maybe it's one of those films you need to watch twice to appreciate.

But I agree re: Forest Whitaker on The Shield, Ti. They have some of the best guest stars on television. In fact, I didn't even start watching the show regularly until I found out Glenn Close was taking over the unit.

And speaking of Glenn Close, I just recently saw Dangerous Liaisons, which also stars John Malkovich and Uma Thurman. Now that's how you make a period film!

jj
    Great freakin film. The only film I've seen more times is All About Eve.

I've seen The Crying Game half a dozen times and I love it. Funny thing, though: I can't remember the ending.

Quote Originally Posted by craighickman View Post
    Great freakin film. The only film I've seen more times is All About Eve.
    It's all about the last 5 minutes, Craig. From the opera house humiliation to sitting alone in front of the vanity. Just brilliant.

Another good movie I've watched recently: Once Were Warriors. It's a New Zealand film that follows a Maori family's struggles against racism and domestic violence. It's horribly depressing but very moving.

Almost every film I watch on television comes on IFC. Fantastic channel. Just last week I watched that Polyester movie (primarily to understand the context of Dry's signature). Not nearly as disturbing as Female Trouble and actually very funny.

jj
    Blue Steel

Quote Originally Posted by jjnow View Post
    It's all about the last 5 minutes, Craig. From the opera house humiliation to sitting along in front of the vanity. Just brilliant.

Another good movie I've watched recently: Once Were Warriors. It's a New Zealand film that follows a Maori family's struggles against racism and domestic violence. It's horribly depressing but very moving.

Almost every film I watch on television comes on IFC. Fantastic channel. Just last week I watched that Polyester movie (primarily to understand the context of Dry's signature). Not nearly as disturbing as Female Trouble and actually very funny.

jj
    Among the most chilling performances I've ever seen. I so wanted Glenn Close to tie Jodie Foster for the Oscar that year. Wasn't meant to be.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So, JJ, shall I assume you've not yet seen Pink Flamingos? Talk about disturbing! I agree about Dangerous Liaisons... A period film perhaps at its very best. Malkovich is completely frightening... And who woulda thunk that the very same, gentile, and innocent Uma Thurman in this film would go on to make the Kill Bill series?

Has anyone else here seen The Mudge Boy? Very dark and disturbing film, but at times, also frighteningly sweet.

Dry

I don't think I could handle Pink Flamingos. I may get brave and rent it one day.

The best part of Polyester was when the daughter was in the women's clinic and the abortion protesters barge through the doors with crucified baby dolls screaming "What if Mary and Joseph had had an abortion!?" Afterwards the mother calls the emergency Catholic line and the nuns come rolling up in the driveway and throw the girl in their car trunk. That was hilarious.

I've never seen The Mudge Boy, but I remember it being discussed on here before. You may have been the one mentioning it then, Dry.

jj
    Blue Steel

Page 2 of 341 FirstFirst 123456122752102252 ... LastLast