Page 296 of 324 FirstFirst ... 46196246271286292293294295296297298299300306321 ... LastLast
Results 4,426 to 4,440 of 4848
    Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Re: The Film Thread **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    He's retiring? I've always appreciated Soderbergh for pushing projects he believes in and getting them made no matter what. It took him over a decade to make the film about Che Guevara, I believe.
    My guess is he's just going to take a break.

Remember when Stephen King retired back in 2002? Or when Michael Jordan retired in 1994 - and again in 1998, before retiring in 2003?
    Me and Flavia Pennetta, we got a thing going on

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I really fell for Silver Linings Playbook. If I were in a different mood, I could have seen myself hating it for a whole host of reasons, but it was the right movie on the right day. And a moment near the end got one of the biggest cheers I've ever heard in a movie theater. It's a great movie to see in a large crowd atmosphere.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    I really fell for Silver Linings Playbook. If I were in a different mood, I could have seen myself hating it for a whole host of reasons, but it was the right movie on the right day. And a moment near the end got one of the biggest cheers I've ever heard in a movie theater. It's a great movie to see in a large crowd atmosphere.
    "Moonrise Kingdom" is still my favorite movie of 2012 (still haven't seen "Zero Dark 30"), but Bradley Cooper in "Silver Linings" was my favorite performance.

Almost saddens me that Daniel Day Lewis will (deservedly) win the Oscar, more because of the gravitas of his peformance in "Lincoln", rather than being the better actor of the two in their respective films.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    "Moonrise Kingdom" is still my favorite movie of 2012 (still haven't seen "Zero Dark 30"), but Bradley Cooper in "Silver Linings" was my favorite performance.

Almost saddens me that Daniel Day Lewis will (deservedly) win the Oscar, more because of the gravitas of his peformance in "Lincoln", rather than being the better actor of the two in their respective films.
    I worry that Cooper might miss the nomination all together. By my count, there are 6 contending (Day Lewis, Jackman, Washington, Cooper, John Hawkes and Joaquin Phoenix. Phoenix missed at the SAG. But, what if in the more select company of actors that are Academy members, he makes the cut? Who misses?

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    I worry that Cooper might miss the nomination all together. By my count, there are 6 contending (Day Lewis, Jackman, Washington, Cooper, John Hawkes and Joaquin Phoenix. Phoenix missed at the SAG. But, what if in the more select company of actors that are Academy members, he makes the cut? Who misses?
    I think there is a fair chance he doesn't get nominated as well, shtexas. Which is a shame, because I think his performance was so good - and totally unexpected, because I never thought of him as an actor of that high a caliber before.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

So is there officially no buzz for Richard Gere? I really thought he was finally going to get a nomination for Arbitage. I've said before - if they won't give him one for that spectacular performance, he'll never get one. And I guess Jamie Foxx isn't in the running. Haven't seen his name much.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

So is there officially no buzz for Richard Gere? I really thought he was finally going to get a nomination for Arbitage. I've said before - if they won't give him one for that spectacular performance, he'll never get one.
    Ever see "Days Of Heaven", Munchin? He's great in "Arbitrage", but I think "Days" was his finest hour.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

So is there officially no buzz for Richard Gere? I really thought he was finally going to get a nomination for Arbitage. I've said before - if they won't give him one for that spectacular performance, he'll never get one. And I guess Jamie Foxx isn't in the running. Haven't seen his name much.
    Last I saw, Gere's name was even under Jack Black's on the list of possibilities.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Ever see "Days Of Heaven", Munchin? He's great in "Arbitrage", but I think "Days" was his finest hour.
    He's great in Days of Heaven but again unrecognized by the Academy. I was thinking they might go in for a sort of Color of Money-esque "lifetime achievement" acting Oscar (though Arbitrage is a movie I actually want to see again) but if they don't, maybe it's just not in the cards for him.

Last I saw, Gere's name was even under Jack Black's on the list of possibilities.
    Ouch. Though Jack Black did give one of my favorite performances this year.

Cool Re: The Film Thread **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    I finally got to see the Hobbit while I was out for the holidays. I went in seriously questioning whether I would like it at all, which was probably the right mode for it. I was entertained. Solid and gorgeous, but not great. A good movie. Didn't care about most of the characters at all, though (or even associate names/faces of the majority of the company).
    Did you see it at 48 fps? And if so, what did you think of that?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fay007 View Post
    Did you see it at 48 fps? And if so, what did you think of that?
    I'm not sure. I went with family and the only screening that we could really do just turned out to be a 3D one so we picked the format by happenstance and not design. If it was in 48fps I didn't notice, so I suspect maybe that it was not. Incidentally, the 3D was good. Not gimmicky outward 3D, but rather depth of field 3D accentuating the fantastic landscapes and such.
    I disapprove of this message

Blog Entries

Re: The Film Thread

Finally got to watch Jacob's Ladder. Far better than I had even hoped.
    I disapprove of this message

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Just got back from seeing "Silver Linings Playbook."

LOVED it.
    Countdown of great Sue Sylvester quotes from Glee
    #6:
    "Get ready for the ride of your life Will Schuester. You're about to board the Sue Sylvester Express. Destination horror! "

Director of Content
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I think this is the best thread for this. Great piece in NY Times on director Paul Schrader's latest film being made, mostly actually about Lindsay Lohan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/ma...our-movie.html

Page 296 of 324 FirstFirst ... 46196246271286292293294295296297298299300306321 ... LastLast