Page 1 of 326 12345112651101251 ... LastLast
    Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

The Film Thread **SPOILERS**

Might as well complete the trilogy now that we have books and music.

Re: The Film Thread

Thanks!

I'm thinking of joining Netflix so this thread will give me some ideas.

jj
    Blue Steel

I've been working my way through Almodovar's films. I just finished watching "All About My Mother". I'm watching them in sequence so it's off to IMdB to see what comes next. I haven't finished digesting the movie yet.
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

The Tribeca Film Festival took place in the last two weeks. I had never gone before, but saw three films this year. All were really good. I'm sure none of them will get distributed in the US, but you can watch one of them for free. And maybe the others will be found on a DVD somewhere.

The Optimists
    You can watch it for free online: http://www.jaman.com/a/video/05NL3fVk1pxs/
    It's only available through May 9

A really great film about post-Milosevic Serbia. Not a happy movie, it sort of centers around the theme of hopelessness. But done with humor. There 5 separate vignettes that make up the movie. They all star one actor (he was really good) but aren't related.

The Director is Goran Paskaljevic, he's having a retrospective at the Museum of Modern Art next winter.

Definitely watch it if you have a chance

Tuya's Marriage
    It won the main prize at the Berlin Film Festival this year.

It's a Chinese film set in Mongolia. It's about a woman in a family of shepherds who has to do all the work by herself because her husband hurt his leg and is semi-paralized. She finds out that she has serious back problems and can't continue to do the work. So she has to divorce her husband and look for a new husband to support her and the two children. Except she insists that the new husband also supports the old husband.

Anyway, it's really funny, and the setting is beautiful, and it's really interesting exposure to a culture that's somewhere at the same time modern and a century behind.

The Director of Photography was there for the Q&A. He was German and was one of two non-Chinese/Mongolians on the set. And he talked a lot about how the director's point was to make this different from the other Asian films shot for Western festivals, which are "too beautiful." They succeeded in that the film was very real and unromanticized.

A Walk into the Sea: Danny Williams and The Warhol Factory
    The wonderful GVGirl gave me a free ticket to the screening of the winning film in the New York Documentary category, and this is what it was.

Fascinating film about a member of the Warhol Factory who disappeared one night in the 60s (He drowned by most theories - his car was found on a cliff by the ocean - thus the title). The film was made by Danny Williams' niece who basically made an investigation into his time with Warhol and interviewed most people connected to the Warhol Factory who are still alive on camera.

Williams was a Harvard grad who was a promising film editor before joining Warhol to get freedom to make films. There's a lot more to it - he was Warhol's lover and there were all these power relationships that played in in the "Factory." Basically, what I learned was that Warhol was a selfish asshole. The factory survivors were all incredibly amusing.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I just found IMDB, thanks to jj.

I'm an old movie fanatic. I've seen more movies pre-1960s than I can count.

I need to see Almodovar's films. That will be next on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by aedra1119 View Post
    I need to see Almodovar's films. That will be next on my list.
    Same here.

I also want to see Pan's Labyrinth.

So many films, so little time.

I just watched Akeelah and the Bee and it was refreshing. Well done.

Dreamgirls just came out on DVD and as much as I loved the theatrical version, watching a few of the extended versions of the musical numbers in the special features makes me wanna slap the studio/editor/director for settling on the abridged versions of "Fake Your Way to the Top" and "Stepping to the Bad Side" and cutting "Effie Sing My Song" entirely.

I enjoy watching classics on DVD because there isn't much in the way of cinematagraphy in many of may favorites, so they don't lose much on the small screen. I'm feeling like its time for another go round with All About Eve.

Has anyone watched "Goya's Ghosts"?
    It stars Natalie Portman and Javier Bardem.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goya%27s_Ghosts

is it good?

what about Volver (starring Penelope Cruz)?
    I heard that one was good..but have yet to see it.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie181 View Post
    Has anyone watched "Goya's Ghosts"?
    It stars Natalie Portman and Javier Bardem.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goya%27s_Ghosts

is it good?

what about Volver (starring Penelope Cruz)?
    I heard that one was good..but have yet to see it.
    Volver was great, Jessie.

I think I brought up Goya's Ghosts in the Random thread. Sounds interesting to me too

Jennifer Hudson is already filming a new movie. And it's not a musical.

http://craighickman.blogspot.com/200...new-movie.html

Ooohh! Another gossip site.

Volver is excellent. A great introduction to Almodovar.

I haven't heard of the other movie. I'll be on the lookout for it.

Forrest Whitaker is one of those actors who sneaks up on you. I got introduced to him on "The Shield" where he plays the guy determined to get Vic Mackey. He should have gotten an Emmy nod for that role btw.
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post

Forrest Whitaker is one of those actors who sneaks up on you. I got introduced to him on "The Shield" where he plays the guy determined to get Vic Mackey. He should have gotten an Emmy nod for that role btw.

I know you love gossip, but this is another thread where Britney's not allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post

I've seen just about everything Forest has been in. Loved him in Bird (Oscar worthy!!!), Smoke (Oscar worthy), The Crying Game (Oscar worthy), The Color of Money, Platoon, Good Morning Vietnam, Jason's Lyric, The Feast of All Saints (TV - Emmy worthy!!!)

He's one of those underrated character actors who always makes you go, Wow, when you see his crafted and sublte performances. I was suprised he wasn't given at least a few more Oscar noms before this year, but he won the whole thing, so I'm sure he's happy.

He's quite a spiritual man as well.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by craighickman View Post
    I've seen just about everything Forest has been in. Loved him in Bird (Oscar worthy!!!), Smoke (Oscar worthy), The Crying Game (Oscar worthy), The Color of Money, Platoon, Good Morning Vietnam, Jason's Lyric, The Feast of All Saints (TV - Emmy worthy!!!)

He's one of those underrated character actors who always makes you go, Wow, when you see his crafted and sublte performances. I was suprised he wasn't given at least a few more Oscar noms before this year, but he won the whole thing, so I'm sure he's happy.

He's quite a spiritual man as well.
    Have you ever seen Mary then, Craig? It's a weird but interesting film, but no one's seen it.

I wanted to see Tuya's Marriage at TFF, but I didn't have time, but I saw some good movies that will probably never be released here unless it's at the Angelica Film Center in NYC.

I saw a documentary called Shame about Mukhtaran Mai. Excellent.

Page 1 of 326 12345112651101251 ... LastLast