Page 148 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4898123138144145146147148
Results 2,206 to 2,218 of 2218

Re: The Music Thread

So do all the artists whose work has been sampled have the right to go to court and sue for royalties et al? Interesting verdict.
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    So do all the artists whose work has been sampled have the right to go to court and sue for royalties et al? Interesting verdict.
    Sampling is a different story.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Pacman Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is why I wanted to get the thoughts of others. I am currently unable to separate my immense distaste for Thicke and Williams from the larger issue at hand.
    Gender should never be a death sentence. http://www.facebook.com/The.Worldwide.War.on.Girls. A civilized nation doesn't tolerate violence against women. http://www.facebook.com/TheSilenceStopsNow?ref=hl. Microlending harbors tremendous potential to improve the economic, social, political, and educational empowerment of women and children. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Globa...417742?fref=ts

I liked Pharrell's work with N.E.R.D. It was modern, forward looking and accessible. The schlock he's doing now is nothing compared to what he is capable of doing.

As for Thicke (as he used to be known) Meh.
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

My opinion (and I hate Blurred Lines and Thicke): The song is inspired by, but not a ripoff.

And I am concerned other artists who are inspired by a time period in music or a style of song might be stifled.

Example: Young group of siblings called Echosmith grew up listening to their parents records and are clearly inspired by 80's groups like The Smiths and Echo & the Bunnymen. Although they already have an album out, I wonder if a decision like this will cause their record company to think twice.

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    This is why I wanted to get the thoughts of others. I am currently unable to separate my immense distaste for Thicke and Williams from the larger issue at hand.
    Well, this should have been caught by the record label lawyers before it was ever released. When it wasn't, further bad advice was probably dispensed with the decision to fight the allegations and go to trial. I'm practically tone deaf, so hardly an expert, but Pharrell has used that similar beat in another song, Madonna's Give It To Me, so the blame perhaps rests more with Mr. P than Mr. T.

Tennis' version of Cousin It.

Here is an interesting opinion on the verdict.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/no-one-w...352865621.html
    Tennis' version of Cousin It.

Bunch of untalented, good for nothing, over-produced, can-only-lip-sync, plagiaristic unoriginal jerks. Wouldn't even be the opening act for any of the good bands of the 60's, 70's or 80's.
    Good somebody was able to tell this was flagrant plagiarism.
    (How about Adele's SOMEONE LIKE YOU and Sia's BREATHE ME? Check those two out)
    50 ways to leave your (non) lover: "I hope you understand me when I say it was torture having met you"

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Pacman Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    (How about Adele's SOMEONE LIKE YOU and Sia's BREATHE ME? Check those two out)
    Really? I'm not seeing that one. The only thing they have in common is the opening piano-only accompaniment. Breathe Me then goes on to add other instrumentation while Someone Like You doesn't--it stays piano-only for the duration of the song. On the chorus, Someone Like You at times approaches a power ballad feel though not quite. Breathe Me never gets close to that. The one other thing that's similar is the "break" before the chorus, but that would be true of a lot of songs.
    Gender should never be a death sentence. http://www.facebook.com/The.Worldwide.War.on.Girls. A civilized nation doesn't tolerate violence against women. http://www.facebook.com/TheSilenceStopsNow?ref=hl. Microlending harbors tremendous potential to improve the economic, social, political, and educational empowerment of women and children. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Globa...417742?fref=ts

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Looks like America missed Kelly Clarkson. Her first album in quite a few years debuted at #1 and Heartbeat Song is racing up the singles chart (#21 currently. Up from #37).

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    Looks like America missed Kelly Clarkson. Her first album in quite a few years debuted at #1 and Heartbeat Song is racing up the singles chart (#21 currently. Up from #37).
    I think she just had a baby. I saw her on the cover of a magazine the other day.

Anyway, she's crazy successful. I think all her albums have gone platinum.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    I think she just had a baby. I saw her on the cover of a magazine the other day.

Anyway, she's crazy successful. I think all her albums have gone platinum.
    I saw that cover, too. It was striking because her baby looked like a Mini Me sitting in her lap.
    "I'm happy for her, I hope to live a beautiful love story. This is the life."

Page 148 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4898123138144145146147148