Agree Agree:  4
Likes Likes:  24
Page 3 of 153 FirstFirst 1234567132853103 ... LastLast

Re: The Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Yes, the only recorded version of Daydreamin that I am aware of is the version on "Inside". Benet's contributions are minimal. Cassandra shines, however. Have heard her sing "Daydreaming" live however, and she did a superb job.

Rachelle Ferrell, by the way, have the only voice that I would compare to Minnie Riperton in terms of sheer ability to blow anything away in her choice of 6 different octaves. She's an absolute gem. I'm fortunate, she is a Philly girl, and plays here all the time. She also refuses to compromise her gfts for the sake of recording, so she is never going to be considered a star, in the commercial sense. She's probably released maybe 4-5 albums in 20 years, because of her distaste for the recoding process and record company management involvment. But she'll blow away anything in her path in a live show.

I'm not as sold on Ledisi as Amon and Craig are.

And Amon, I am a bit surprised you didn't use this thread to share the good word about Nnenna Freelon.

Moose i often don't mention the sensational Nnenna Freelon because so few fans are familiar with her portfolio...First time i ever heard was live at a jazz club so small they had to turn fans away after 800 folks were in...She was fabulous...I was so moved i immediately began buying all of her stuff and seeing her live every chance i get....She is so very good...But she is not Rachelle Ferrell...Who is??

Anyone have any anti-folk, folk or folk-rock songs or music they could recommend? I'm still "new" to the genre, but i LOVE it.
    I have tons of songs from Bob Dylan and a few others.

I need all the recommendations anyone can give, thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie181 View Post
    Folk-influenced songs, you say?

what folk-influenced songs would you recommend from Lizz Wright, Craig?
    I love anything folk-y
    Just about anything on her second album, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

Tour Pro
    Awards Showcase

Currently University of Missouri, wished it was still Houston

i wouldn't describe it as folk necessary, but ever heard of a guy called sufjan stevens? some very intriguing music however, people who like folk seem to like him though.
    "well jesus christ i'm alone again, so what did you do those three days you were dead? cause this problems gonna last, more than the weekend..." ~ brand new

Quote Originally Posted by jsd123789456 View Post
    i wouldn't describe it as folk necessary, but ever heard of a guy called sufjan stevens? some very intriguing music however, people who like folk seem to like him though.
    I've heard of him. Someone once told me he sang christian-folk music...and i don't care for anything christian in music.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Sufjan is VERY good, jsd. You know that he is working his way through CD's of all 50 states. "Illinois" was a great disc.

I had mentioned last week a new Joni Mitchell tribute that came out. (funny, that we discuss Cassandra here, and she is on the CD). Sufjan does "Free Man In Paris" on the disc. Quite different than Joni's nearly perfect original. Prince, Bjork, James Taylor, Annie Lennox and Sarah McLaughlan are also on the tribute disc

And one more Cassandra mention...forgot to rec one of my fav songs she did on someone else's CD. Anyone know the violinist Regina Carter? Awesome musician. Some years back she released a CD on which Cassandra guests, singing "Papa Was A Rolling Stone". It is incredible. And it reminded me that Cassandra's voice and talents seem to lend the,selves better to covering songs by male vocalists than by female vocalists.

And one other Regina Carter note. On a CD she made a few years back, called Paganini:After A Dream, Carter plays Paganini's personal violin. The first jazz artist to ever play the instrument (which is 260+ years old). The CD is really special. Among the pieces she plays are Ravel's Pavane and Debussy's Reverie. It's one of my favorite quiet listening discs.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Sufjan is VERY good, jsd. You know that he is working his way through CD's of all 50 states. "Illinois" was a great disc.

I had mentioned last week a new Joni Mitchell tribute that came out. (funny, that we discuss Cassandra here, and she is on the CD). Sufjan does "Free Man In Paris" on the disc. Quite different than Joni's nearly perfect original. Prince, Bjork, James Taylor, Annie Lennox and Sarah McLaughlan are also on the tribute disc

And one more Cassandra mention...forgot to rec one of my fav songs she did on someone else's CD. Anyone know the violinist Regina Carter? Awesome musician. Some years back she released a CD on which Cassandra guests, singing "Papa Was A Rolling Stone". It is incredible. And it reminded me that Cassandra's voice and talents seem to lend the,selves better to covering songs by male vocalists than by female vocalists.

And one other Regina Carter note. On a CD she made a few years back, called Paganini:After A Dream, Carter plays Paganini's personal violin. The first jazz artist to ever play the instrument (which is 260+ years old). The CD is really special. Among the pieces she plays are Ravel's Pavane and Debussy's Reverie. It's one of my favorite quiet listening discs.
    I've never heard of Regina Carter, I think, but she sounds awesome. thanks

Tour Pro
    Awards Showcase

sufjan only wrote one christian cd, illinois and michigan (actually, its called "come on, feel the illinoise") is a great cd and he has songs about random illinois related things like the man of metropolis, abraham lincoln, and etc. i love his ambition for the fifty states project but i can't see it being finished, i've heard he puts on an amazing live show with a huge band since he actually plays every instrument on his cds, amazing considering how much goes on in his music (put on some headphones and you'll see what i mean)
    "well jesus christ i'm alone again, so what did you do those three days you were dead? cause this problems gonna last, more than the weekend..." ~ brand new

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I've never heard of Regina Carter, I think, but she sounds awesome. thanks
    Real special musician, M8. Definitely try to check her out. She's as adept at classical pieces as she is at jazz. A friend of mine who knows classical music inside out was extremeely impressed with her take on Pavane.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

sufjan only wrote one christian cd, illinois and michigan (actually, its called "come on, feel the illinoise") is a great cd and he has songs about random illinois related things like the man of metropolis, abraham lincoln, and etc. i love his ambition for the fifty states project but i can't see it being finished, i've heard he puts on an amazing live show with a huge band since he actually plays every instrument on his cds, amazing considering how much goes on in his music (put on some headphones and you'll see what i mean)
    since the topic is off the beaten path musicians like Sufjan, jsd, are you by chance a fan of Ben Folds? I've always thought he was one of the most ambitious musicians I have ever heard, because of his genre hopping and blend of musical styles.

You guys and your music!

I no none of the artists that you guys have mentioned. But I am happy to report that I just received the CD "Guilty Til Proved Innocent" in the mail from Amazon. My old copy had become scratched. For me, this disc is a necessity for summer driving...and summer has started already in Vegas. It's very upbeat, mostly superficial, with lots of brass and piano. It's by The Specials who were prominent in the early 80's. This disc was actually recorded in the late 90's, and it received poor reviews from critics and early fans of the band. But it's one of my favorites.
    ADAM Member

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

since the topic is off the beaten path musicians like Sufjan, jsd, are you by chance a fan of Ben Folds? I've always thought he was one of the most ambitious musicians I have ever heard, because of his genre hopping and blend of musical styles.
    Is he really "off the beaten path?" I guess now he is. I'm a big fan. Although depending on my mood, sometimes I can only take him in small doses.

One of my least pleasant moments from college was when Ben Folds was performing a free concert outside in beautiful weather and I was in the library trying to write two papers. Due the next day, of course. I could just barely hear him outside. I think I was so mad I didn't get any work done.

so the Illinois and Michigan cds aren't christian?

Tour Pro
    Awards Showcase

quite a fan of ben folds, especially his live cds and if you've ever heard of ben kweller and ben lee, the three of them got together for a project called the bens for a short time and put out a few really good songs, all three have similar styles of music that are genre-encompassing and heavy on piano rock, which is always a fun sound.

on a different note, this week i've gotten very heavily into wilco, anyone else a fan?

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrjiggyfly2 View Post
    You guys and your music!

I no none of the artists that you guys have mentioned. But I am happy to report that I just received the CD "Guilty Til Proved Innocent" in the mail from Amazon. My old copy had become scratched. For me, this disc is a necessity for summer driving...and summer has started already in Vegas. It's very upbeat, mostly superficial, with lots of brass and piano. It's by The Specials who were prominent in the early 80's. This disc was actually recorded in the late 90's, and it received poor reviews from critics and early fans of the band. But it's one of my favorites.
    stop your messin around
    better think of your future...

I spent a year with a Two-Tone Records button on my knapsnack and wearing one of the old English Beat t-shirts Jiggy. The Specials were my favorite band that whole time. I think I wore out a couple of copies of Specials vinyl, between A Message To You Rudy and Ghost Town

Page 3 of 153 FirstFirst 1234567132853103 ... LastLast