Agree Agree:  4
Likes Likes:  23
Page 2 of 153 FirstFirst 123456122752102 ... LastLast
    Grand Slam Champion owendonovan's Avatar

Re: The Music Thread

Today I'm remembering Anita O'Day. I went ot see my friends documentary on her at the Tribeca Film Festival. Back in the day, the record companies used to darken photo's and use creative lighting to make her appear more African American even though she was white. People assumed she was black because of her soulful voice so the record companies decided to keep the myth going. She died recently out in Los Angeles. I used to walk her around Manhattan picking up coins on the ground, she had a pen knife that she would use to dig the coins out of the pavement they were imbedded in. Salty lady until her death.

Quote Originally Posted by owendonovan View Post
    Today I'm remembering Anita O'Day. I went ot see my friends documentary on her at the Tribeca Film Festival. Back in the day, the record companies used to darken photo's and use creative lighting to make her appear more African American even though she was white. People assumed she was black because of her soulful voice so the record companies decided to keep the myth going. She died recently out in Los Angeles. I used to walk her around Manhattan picking up coins on the ground, she had a pen knife that she would use to dig the coins out of the pavement they were imbedded in. Salty lady until her death.
    My father used to talk a lot about the "White Singer Who Passed for Colored." He loved her. Claims to have met her once. She reminded me of a young Ella.

Quote Originally Posted by craighickman View Post
    Rachelle Ferrell sings circles around all living jazz singers. And no, Amon, most don't know who she is.

Then there's Ledisi, who's as independent as they come, but with a musicianship that rivals Ella.

Moose, I can see why some of your respected friends don't think there's anything great about Cassandra. I actually think that she's a bit schizoid in her approach to music. Artist: certainly. But not everything she does works. I don't like her folk-influenced work. Lizz Wright, simple as her work is, does that better.

My biggest problem with Cassandra is that for a "jazz singer" she has no range. And she simply refuses to sing enough jazz.
    Craig: Cassandra has better range than you are giving her credit for...I have heard it...IMHO she relies heavily on her superb low register to show up the many female vocalist that don't have it...Anita Baker falls into the same trap...But no one ever suggest Anita doesn't have range...

Good to see we agree on the magnificent Rachelle Ferrell..Each time i hear her perform live its an epiphany...I simply do not want the show to end....I agree with you on Ledisi...She is fabulous...But like Rachelle and a few others needs better production...The sad thing about Rachelle is the best producers in the business have begged to work with her...She has been offered contracts that would put a few overrated pop diva's to shame...But Ms Ferrell has no tolerance for producers and demands total creative control of her projects....

Quote Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
    Craig: Cassandra has better range than you are giving her credit for...I have heard it...IMHO she relies heavily on her superb low register to show up the many female vocalist that don't have it...Anita Baker falls into the same trap...But no one ever suggest Anita doesn't have range...

Good to see we agree on the magnificent Rachelle Ferrell..Each time i hear her perform live its an epiphany...I simply do not want the show to end....I agree with you on Ledisi...She is fabulous...But like Rachelle and a few others needs better production...The sad thing about Rachelle is the best producers in the business have begged to work with her...She has been offered contracts that would put a few overrated pop diva's to shame...But Ms Ferrell has no tolerance for producers and demands total creative control of her projects....
    Anita Baker has range. I've heard it.

I haven't heard Cassandra's. Well, let me put it this way. I haven't heard her upper register. She can sing in the basement. I'm spoiled by Sarah and Rachelle, jazz singers who sing jazz, who scale the heights as well as go deep in the valleys.

I think "Individuality (Can I Be Me?)" is a well-produced album. Have you ever heard anything like "I Can Explain"?

And there's nothing wrong with "The First Instrument." Her take on "Blackbird" is startling.

I haven't heard Cassandra's. Well, let me put it this way. I haven't heard her upper register. She can sing in the basement. I'm spoiled by Sarah and Rachelle, jazz singers who sing jazz, who scale the heights as well as go deep in the valleys.

I think "Individuality (Can I Be Me?)" is a well-produced album. Have you ever heard anything like "I Can Explain"?

And there's nothing wrong with "The First Instrument." Her take on "Blackbird" is startling.
    I agree with you...Those are two fantastic recordings...I must ask why doesn't everyone have a copy in thier homes??? I can't imagine anyone listening to "Individuality" and not loving it..."The First Instrument" is sensational to say the least...IMHO her producers have created superb art with her...But whats missing is that Chaka magic of supreme musical artistry combined with tremendous commercial appeal...YOu will agree this fault cannot layed directly at Miss Ferrell feet? No?? Its inexcusable that a vocalist of Rachelle's prodigeous talent is not the biggest thing in the music business...But hey its happened before...I get upset when i think of how producers and record companies dismissed the sensational Vesta Williams

One final note Craig: Listen to Cassandra's cover of Aretha's "Daydreaming" and give me your honest appraisal..I think you'll be impressed

One final note Craig: Listen to Cassandra's cover of Aretha's "Daydreaming" and give me your honest appraisal..I think you'll be impressed
    What album is it on?

What album is it on?

Actually she did the vocals for the cover on someone else's CD...The name of jazz artist eludes me at the moment...Forgive me...But i'll look it up as soon as i get home and pm you... Heck Moose prolly knows off the top of his head...he is a repository of such facts

Actually she did the vocals for the cover on someone else's CD...The name of jazz artist eludes me at the moment...Forgive me...But i'll look it up as soon as i get home and pm you... Heck Moose prolly knows off the top of his head...he is a repository of such facts
    I found it. It's on "Inside" by David Sanborn. She duets with Eric Benet. (puke).

I found it. It's on "Inside" by David Sanborn. She duets with Eric Benet. (puke).

The version i am thinking of has no trace of the disgusting Eric Benet on it!!! Can't wait til i get home and figure whats up...

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Yes, the only recorded version of Daydreamin that I am aware of is the version on "Inside". Benet's contributions are minimal. Cassandra shines, however. Have heard her sing "Daydreaming" live however, and she did a superb job.

Rachelle Ferrell, by the way, have the only voice that I would compare to Minnie Riperton in terms of sheer ability to blow anything away in her choice of 6 different octaves. She's an absolute gem. I'm fortunate, she is a Philly girl, and plays here all the time. She also refuses to compromise her gfts for the sake of recording, so she is never going to be considered a star, in the commercial sense. She's probably released maybe 4-5 albums in 20 years, because of her distaste for the recoding process and record company management involvment. But she'll blow away anything in her path in a live show.

I'm not as sold on Ledisi as Amon and Craig are.

And Amon, I am a bit surprised you didn't use this thread to share the good word about Nnenna Freelon.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Yes, the only recorded version of Daydreamin that I am aware of is the version on "Inside". Benet's contributions are minimal. Cassandra shines, however. Have heard her sing "Daydreaming" live however, and she did a superb job.

Rachelle Ferrell, by the way, have the only voice that I would compare to Minnie Riperton in terms of sheer ability to blow anything away in her choice of 6 different octaves. She's an absolute gem. I'm fortunate, she is a Philly girl, and plays here all the time. She also refuses to compromise her gfts for the sake of recording, so she is never going to be considered a star, in the commercial sense. She's probably released maybe 4-5 albums in 20 years, because of her distaste for the recoding process and record company management involvment. But she'll blow away anything in her path in a live show.

I'm not as sold on Ledisi as Amon and Craig are.

And Amon, I am a bit surprised you didn't use this thread to share the good word about Nnenna Freelon.
    Moose, have you heard the album "Feeling Orange But Sometimes Blue: The Jazz Singer Limited Edition" by Ledisi. She closes with "Autumn Leaves" (superb!) and a song called "Land of the Free" which I believe she penned. Her vocals, including a jaw-dropping improvisation, on the latter is stupendous. I'm not a fan of her attempt at R&B, but she is one talented jazz singer.

I listened to Lizz after reading this, and I must say she's really great. I love 'Hit the Ground'.

Quote Originally Posted by didgeridoo33 View Post
    I listened to Lizz after reading this, and I must say she's really great. I love 'Hit the Ground'.
    I love "Blue Rose", too. Glad you enjoy her. She was introduced to me, so I thought to follow suit.

Rachelle Ferrell sings circles around all living jazz singers. And no, Amon, most don't know who she is.

Then there's Ledisi, who's as independent as they come, but with a musicianship that rivals Ella.

Moose, I can see why some of your respected friends don't think there's anything great about Cassandra. I actually think that she's a bit schizoid in her approach to music. Artist: certainly. But not everything she does works. I don't like her folk-influenced work. Lizz Wright, simple as her work is, does that better.

My biggest problem with Cassandra is that for a "jazz singer" she has no range. And she simply refuses to sing enough jazz.
    Folk-influenced songs, you say?

what folk-influenced songs would you recommend from Lizz Wright, Craig?
    I love anything folk-y

Page 2 of 153 FirstFirst 123456122752102 ... LastLast