Page 120 of 143 FirstFirst ... 207095110116117118119120121122123124130 ... LastLast
Results 1,786 to 1,800 of 2132

Re: The Music Thread

The new Madonna video, for 2nd single "Girl Gone Wild". "Vogue" meets "Love Will Never Do Without You", with a little bit of "Virtual Insanity" thrown in for effect.

Madonna/"Girl Gone Wild"
    Ssshh. Don't tell PEHK I am cheating on him with Dominic Thiem!

The imperial march in high definition. Schönbrunn palace (summer residence of Habsburg emperors) in the background.

Kinda loving how big Fun.'s "We are young" is now (no.1) . I feel like a proud parent. Found out about them a few years ago because one of their band members is in Steel Train and friends with Tegan and Sara. I haven't listened to their latest album, but "We are young" is probably their best song. Their older stuff was meh. I didn't care for it much. Steel Train was always the better band, IMO.

Also loving how well Gotye's "Somebody that I used to know" is doing
    The poster formerly known as Jessie181

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie181 View Post
    Kinda loving how big Fun.'s "We are young" is now (no.1) . I feel like a proud parent. Found out about them a few years ago because one of their band members is in Steel Train and friends with Tegan and Sara. I haven't listened to their latest album, but "We are young" is probably their best song. Their older stuff was meh. I didn't care for it much. Steel Train was always the better band, IMO.

Also loving how well Gotye's "Somebody that I used to know" is doing

hahaha. Comparing me to the hipster mermaid, eh?

I KNEW THEM WHEN THEY WERE AN UNKNOWN SHITTY BAND </hipster>

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie181 View Post
    hahaha. Comparing me to the hipster mermaid, eh?

I KNEW THEM WHEN THEY WERE AN UNKNOWN SHITTY BAND </hipster>

Here are two that I discovered only this week, but should have earlier:

Somebody that I used to know

O Re Piya

Oops, just realized Jessie mentioned "Somebody that I used to know" a few posts earlier...

No biggie! I actually originally posted about it way back in September (21st, to be exact, I think. I had to go back to see when I posted the video) lol. I've just been obsessively following how well it's been doing on the billboard charts since then (last time I checked, it was no.4, I think)
    It's one of my favourite songs of last year. I still listen to it a lot, and I have yet to get sick of it, haha.
    I'm glad you're enjoying it too, though!
    Last edited by Jay; 04-07-2012 at 12:44 PM.

I'm a little late to the party, but my new hot band is Alabama Shakes. Their first CD comes out next week, but they've been getting huge press since last fall, and they apparently blew away everyone at SXSW this year.

Their lead singer, Brittany Howard, reminds me so much of Joyce Kennedy from back in the old school days, when Kennedy was the lead singer of Mother's Finest. You can also tell she's listened to some Janice Joplin and Phoebe Snow on her way to finding her own voice.

Here's one of their songs - love this:
    Alabama Shakes "You Ain't Alone"
    Ssshh. Don't tell PEHK I am cheating on him with Dominic Thiem!

Madonna's MDNA may be the first album to both top the Billboard charts and be a massive commercial failure.

The record debuted at No. 1 on the charts, prompting her longtime manager Guy Oseary to herald the singer's comeback as a great success. And though it was quite a triumphant return, it turned out to be a short-lived one buoyed by what some are calling a cheap trick.

MDNA sales have fallen a record 88 percent week-over-week, from 379,000 copies to a mere 46,000, Forbes reports.

So why the dramatic drop? In a somewhat savvy move, Madonna packaged the album with ticket sales on Ticketmaster. Though Lionel Richie's Tuskegee was outpacing her in projected sales, Madge was able to surpass his release by essentially giving her album away to anyone who bought a ticket to see her tour. These "sales" were then counted in Billboard's tally.

The only problem? With her shows either sold out or nearly sold out, no one's going to be buying tickets any time soon.

Page Six notes that Madge didn't invent the trick. Both Bon Jovi and Tom Petty used the loophole to finagle their way to the top of the charts.

In his email newsletter, Bob Lefsetz slammed the singer and her team for failing to understand that Super Bowl shows don't translate to album sales, especially for "an ancient superstar dashing for cash.

"Oldsters just want to hear the hits, and youngsters ... just don't care," he wrote of her halftime show. As for her tour? "Charging a fortune and playing huge venues. It's like a going out of business sale. What do you do next?"

Richie, on the other hand, sold 20,000 albums in just one hour by swallowing his pride and appearing on the Home Shopping Network. That's almost half the number of albums Madonna moved all week.

In Oseary's defense, he claims that Madge has foregone traditional album promos, instead focusing on prepping what he's touting as an epic tour. "The focus is getting the show together so MDNA can come to life," he tweeted.

Though Lefsetz and other critics are making it seem as though Madonna's career has seen its last sunset, it's important to remember she still has some pretty fierce fans, including this lady who tattooed MDNA's artwork on her ribcage:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1416094.html
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

NEW YORK — There'll be no Guns N' Roses reunion at this weekend's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony. Axl Rose says he won't attend and is declining his induction into the hall.

The seminal band is to be inducted in Cleveland on Saturday. There was some hope that the original unit would reunite. It disbanded in acrimony in the 1990s.

But in a letter to the hall released Wednesday, Rose said he won't be at the ceremony and would "respectfully decline" induction.

He said he has no intention of reuniting with his former bandmates. He also said he did not want to be inducted "in absentia."

The hall didn't immediately return requests for comment.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1419042.html
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

Looked to see if I had posted this before like I had intended, but looks like I haven't.

I'm not a Taylor Swift fan in the least. I dislike the majority of her music, but I really, really like this song. It's from The Hunger Games soundtrack.

There's been a lot of criticism for having it as the lead single; lots of people saying it doesn't fit in with the movie, but I think it does.
    I can picture Katniss singing this to Rue or Prim (the former especially).

I think a major reason why I like it so much is because of The Civil Wars.

Taylor Swift feat. The Civil Wars-"Safe & Sound"

a nevernude
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantès View Post
    Sharon Van Etten. Might be the best female 'singer songwriter' not named Polly Jean Harvey. 3rd album is just out.....will probably win the Grammy new artist award in around 2015.

I was hoping someone had brought up SVE in this thread. SHE IS AMAZING. I can't stop listening, going on four days now (things can get gloomy, though). One Day is my favorite
    Last edited by tobiasfunke; 04-14-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

This is a big viral video this week - it's very similar to Rebecca Black's "Friday" last year (which I freely admit, I find myself humming probably every other week) except they seem fully aware of how bad they are. And some of the lyrics are kinda legitimately funny. The internet is the best/worst

Hot Problems
    Last edited by munchin; 04-21-2012 at 01:16 AM.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Page 120 of 143 FirstFirst ... 207095110116117118119120121122123124130 ... LastLast