Page 1 of 147 12345112651101 ... LastLast

The Music Thread

We've been talking about everything under the sun, and we often discuss music, but it's been a while.

Any fans of Lizz Wright on board?

I've fallen in love with her smoky smooth voice and her amazing sense of phrasing and lyric.

"Salt" is a stunning album.

Re: The Music Thread

You people have already gotten me to give Apple more money than I care to admit. Now there's some new singer worth listening to?

I'm listening to this young woman from Sri Lanka who calls herself M.I.A. I guess she'd be called a rapper but her use of rhythm and sound is really interesting. She works with what I assume are traditional Sri Lankan rhythms and sound and is said to be the daughter of a Tamil Tiger. Can't trust bio's these days.

BTW Madeleine Peyroux is going to be at Radio City soon.
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

Apparently Lizz Wright has been around for years, but I was recently introduced to her. And I can't stop listening.

M.I.A. sounds intriguing.

O, Moose, where art thou?

Cassandra Wilson fired half her band?

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    You people have already gotten me to give Apple more money than I care to admit. Now there's some new singer worth listening to?

I'm listening to this young woman from Sri Lanka who calls herself M.I.A. I guess she'd be called a rapper but her use of rhythm and sound is really interesting. She works with what I assume are traditional Sri Lankan rhythms and sound and is said to be the daughter of a Tamil Tiger. Can't trust bio's these days.

BTW Madeleine Peyroux is going to be at Radio City soon.
    M.I.A. is totally original, with some great rhymes and outstanding rhythms, Ti. Got into her from her first disc, "Arular", because it was mixed by a very popular DJ from Philly. "Galang" and "Bucky Done Gun" are great songs.
    Ssshh. Don't tell PEHK I am cheating on him with Dominic Thiem!

Quote Originally Posted by craighickman View Post
    O, Moose, where art thou?

Cassandra Wilson fired half her band?
    don't know how new a change up you're referring to Craig.

Some time ago, Cassandra moved from Harlem back down to Mississippi to care for her mother, who has Alzheimers. She had also, back from "Belly Of The Sun", been working with a lot of blues and other musicians from Jackson, and had pretty much stopped working with her friends from M-Bass, Lonnie Plaxico and the NY musicians who had been with her since "Blue Light Til Dawn".

She did a show here in Philly last summer that I caught, while she was promoting "Thunderbird", and all the musicians playing with her were people from her Jackson contingent. Know she is playing NYC this week, so I'm curious now as to who's travelling. I've seen her at least 10 times since "Blue Light" came out, and she never fails to have an incredible band working behind her. Singers of her stature always get the best musicians to work with.

While Chaka is, has been, and remains my favorite vocalist of all time, I think Cassandra is the best vocalist I've ever seen. Unlike CK, Cassandra puts her entire effort into each performance, and that sun-drenched muddy contralto is unlike any other voice I have ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    M.I.A. is totally original, with some great rhymes and outstanding rhythms, Ti. Got into her from her first disc, "Arular", because it was mixed by a very popular DJ from Philly. "Galang" and "Bucky Done Gun" are great songs.
    GET CRACKIN'! GET GET CRACKIN'!!!

Sorry.

My faves are "Hombre" and "Amazon". And of course "Bucky Done Gun"
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

"Sun-drenched muddy contralto."

Brilliant.

Your summary of what's going on in her life explains things. Hubby told me today about the "fired" band, but perhaps he was misinformed.

You know, I like Cassandra, but I don't love her.

I've seen her in concert half a dozen times, and I've always enjoyed myself (primarily due to her band), and I met her back in 1996 at the National Black Arts Festival, and she is as down-to-earth as can be. But there's something about her material I can't get knee-deep in.

I agree with you Craig about Cassandra Wilson. She is a great singer but I can't jump on her bandwagon. I do have a couple of her CD's though. "Blue Lights Till Dawn" I think and one other I can't remember right now.

I always thought that Cassandra alienates potential audiences in pursuit of her own muse. This is someone that I once heard sing "Strange Fruit" and "Last Train To Clarksville" back to back. She is called a jazz singer, but she doesn't want to sing jazz music.

She pursued a more mainstream audience with "Blue Light" and "New Moon Daughter" (a by-note, I think Craig Street is among the most excellent producers of women, his work with Cassandra, k.d. lang and Meshelle Ndegeocello is top-notch) , then went and did a Miles tribute album, then went Delta blues with "Belly Of The Sun", country in "Glamoured". And "Thunderbird" is all over the map..electronic programming in "Mexico", fierce guitar work in "Red River Valley", and vocals as sultry and haunting as she's ever done on "It Would Be So Easy".

Friends that I have turned on to her have grown tired of her, and some friends whose music taste I greatly respect don't see anything great about her at all. Me, I think she's as good as they come.

And I'm still waiting for her to decide to make a full disc of r&b standards (of course, in her own way). She's recorded "If Loving You Is Wrong" (brilliantly), she sings Stevie's "Creepin'" on occasion in concert.

oooo I've heard of Cassandra Wilson..though, i've never heard her music. I have a friend who's really into her.

Personally, I've been listening to a lot of Josh Ritter (thanx BeauJarkko for the recommendation!) and lots of other Folk-rock like Bob Dylan, Regina Spektor (though, she's more anti-folk than regular folk), Joan Baez, The byrds, and a few other peoplessss.

I've also been listening to a lot of Maria Mena lately, too. Great writer. She's probably a better writer than a singer, but her voice is good, too.

Quote Originally Posted by craighickman View Post
    We've been talking about everything under the sun, and we often discuss music, but it's been a while.

Any fans of Lizz Wright on board?

I've fallen in love with her smoky smooth voice and her amazing sense of phrasing and lyric.

"Salt" is a stunning album.
    I had never heard of her before. What a gorgeous voice!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I always thought that Cassandra alienates potential audiences in pursuit of her own muse. This is someone that I once heard sing "Strange Fruit" and "Last Train To Clarksville" back to back. She is called a jazz singer, but she doesn't want to sing jazz music.

She pursued a more mainstream audience with "Blue Light" and "New Moon Daughter" (a by-note, I think Craig Street is among the most excellent producers of women, his work with Cassandra, k.d. lang and Meshelle Ndegeocello is top-notch) , then went and did a Miles tribute album, then went Delta blues with "Belly Of The Sun", country in "Glamoured". And "Thunderbird" is all over the map..electronic programming in "Mexico", fierce guitar work in "Red River Valley", and vocals as sultry and haunting as she's ever done on "It Would Be So Easy".

Friends that I have turned on to her have grown tired of her, and some friends whose music taste I greatly respect don't see anything great about her at all. Me, I think she's as good as they come.

And I'm still waiting for her to decide to make a full disc of r&b standards (of course, in her own way). She's recorded "If Loving You Is Wrong" (brilliantly), she sings Stevie's "Creepin'" on occasion in concert.
    Even though Rachelle Ferrell is my favorite living jazz singer, i love Cassandra Wilson...My impression is that Ms Wilson is kinda like the Roberta Flack of the blues/jazz genre...No matter how consistently excellent she is, she will be underappreciated in an era that prefers to watch music rather than listen...Also Cassandra has not had that one break through tremendous commercial success she deserves... "Thunderbird" deserves that acclaim but you can't hear it on commercial radio for all the garbage they promote...."Closer to You" and "It would be so easy" are as good as recordings get...Its sad that so many music lovers will miss it...Unlike Moose and Craig i have only seen Cassandra live twice....She was fabulous both times...But there is nothing like listening to Ms Ferrell live except the young Chaka at her best...The great tragedy is most music lovers have no idea who Rachelle Ferrell is...But when you see a list of great female vocalist past or present without her name on it, the list is full of crap

Quote Originally Posted by catz33 View Post
    I had never heard of her before. What a gorgeous voice!
    I have been into Lizz for 2 years now...My impression at this time is her voice is much better than her material and production...Like so many talented female vocalist, she is undermined by shoddy production...But her voice is quite enchanting and sultry

Rachelle Ferrell sings circles around all living jazz singers. And no, Amon, most don't know who she is.

Then there's Ledisi, who's as independent as they come, but with a musicianship that rivals Ella.

Moose, I can see why some of your respected friends don't think there's anything great about Cassandra. I actually think that she's a bit schizoid in her approach to music. Artist: certainly. But not everything she does works. I don't like her folk-influenced work. Lizz Wright, simple as her work is, does that better.

My biggest problem with Cassandra is that for a "jazz singer" she has no range. And she simply refuses to sing enough jazz.

Page 1 of 147 12345112651101 ... LastLast