Agree Agree:  7
Likes Likes:  27
Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 934495556575859

Thread: The Book Thread

Re: The Book Thread

Almost all of my reading is for Spanish lit class. But last week, over about 2 days, I read "Young Heroes of the Soviet Union" by Alex Halberstadt. I absolutely loved it. But then, I am greatly interested in mid-20th-century history. So this was a subject about which I am very interested. By the way, the book is not about "young heroes of the Soviet Union", though it does deal with that period of history. I'll leave it at that unless someone wants more info.

GH

I've been reading Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon series - definitely not top of the line writing, but easy to read when I need distraction that doesn't require too much focus to clear out all the noise in my head. Each book involves a crime investigation in a different national park setting.
    My Happy Place

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe

It's the first novel by him that I've taken up. The man is really good at painting a picture (that's why the book is soooo long, but it's very palatable), and he paints a really good one of circa-1990 New York

I just read Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston. A fun political fantasy and gay romance, posting here because of a scene that takes place at.. wait for it.... Wimbledon 2020!!
    Last edited by MJ2004; 05-08-2020 at 04:47 PM.

Dear all:
    Since I have so much free time, I wanted to ask this.
    You know about our religion thread. It has been heated debate that I believe at one time, and on many occasions, became relevant. I just downloaded it into a WORD document, with some fascinating stats. It would be over 900 pages long, and around 400,000 words.
    My point is: I would like to edit this document and publish it. However, I cannot claim authorship, as it is a collective work. It is indeed, a conversation. So: would you mind me doing that? If published, there may be some money there; do you want to be a defendant in the lawsuit? Last, I would of course edit all real names and possible verifiable data.

Thanks.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

“No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Dear all:
    You know about our religion thread. It has been heated debate that I believe at one time, and on many occasions, became relevant. I just downloaded it into a WORD document, with some fascinating stats. It would be over 900 pages long, and around 400,000 words.
    My point is: I would like to edit this document and publish it. However, I cannot claim authorship, as it is a collective work. It is indeed, a conversation. So: would you mind me doing that? If published, there may be some money there; do you want to be a defendant in the lawsuit? Last, I would of course edit all real names and possible verifiable data.

Thanks.
    There is a joke here about this being the thread about "The Book"

(no objections here. Good luck!)

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Dear all:

Thanks.
    I got no issue if it's anonymous.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    I got no issue if it's anonymous.
    I was going to put your real name and address in the Afterword. So when the town's people with the pitchforks and torches decide to go up the hill.... better you than me, is all I am saying
    Thanks.

As long asi things are anonymous it's fine with me.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Has anybody here worked with Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing? I have some questions, if you can help me.
    Thanks.

As I recently found out that you can publish your books in Kindle, I put all my tennis blogs in one volume and put them in THIS BOOK.
    It is available in Amazon by the name TENNIS. ESSAYS AND OPINIONS.
    Pious lies in the form of positive reviews are welcome

I mentioned a while back that I was thinking about downloading the DISCUSS RELIGION thread and see if it could be edited for printing. I have been working on it (first pass) and some "funny" things that I can say.
    The first "rough" data document came at around 680,000 words. Because we do a lot of "Reply with quote" I had to clean all of the original quotes that were repeated. Delete all dates, and all COPY/PASTE text (headers, footers, etc) and the end doc is about 290,000 words.
    How many pages? I formatted the page at 7" x 10" and, excluding the INDEX section, the total number of pages is... 666. I kid you not.
    As the few people that replied agreed that we wanted anonymity, I thought of giving everybody involved a letter from the Greek alphabet. Easy to do with just a quick WORD/Replace function. Enough letters, right? Nope. I ended using all the greek letters, all the Sanskrit vowels AND ALL the Hebrew Letters, excluding BET and PE (so as not confuse BETA and PI). For it being the most controversial thread in the forum, we sure talked a lot about it.

I decided to make a cut around a recent post. So, I am thinking about a prologue (it would be needed for explanations) and use a trick by Kurt Vonnegut JR. Tell the readers the first and last sentence of the work.
    The book starts with: "Religion was created as a way to control people."
    And it ends with: "Not according to the Sermon on the Mount"

I don't think I will be able to keep working on it, though. Megan was very kind to explain to me about copyrights and such, and we did quote and paste a lot of external material. I gather that after taking out all of that, I would end up with 100K words, which are the core of our discussion. I will suspend it for a while, and decide if to continue.

BTW. Our collective level of Biblical, religious, and moral knowledge is, I can guarantee, not normal. We are way above average, collectively. And some of the quotes and ideas are truly wonderful. Reading through them, rest assured that I was impressed by the erudition, prose and clarity of exposition. We may be wrong, right, confused, or at odds. Ignorant we are not.

(And... I have a great cover shot for it. Too bad it probably won't make it)

Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 934495556575859