Agree Agree:  7
Likes Likes:  20
Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 833485455565758

Thread: The Book Thread

Re: The Book Thread

I need some help.
    Running out of things to read and I have another stint in patagonia coming up. So some recommendation for non-fiction would be very welcomed. I need to take at least two books with me.
    Missing winter...

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    I need some help.
    Running out of things to read and I have another stint in patagonia coming up. So some recommendation for non-fiction would be very welcomed. I need to take at least two books with me.
    That's not an area I read a ton of these days. But can you be a bit more specific about what you like to read? Biography, history, true crime, etc? Maybe that'll help people make some suggestions.

Science, current affairs, social areas, math, teen vampire romance ( ), stats.
    Thanks for that note.
    Missing winter...

non-fiction teen vampire romance - that's a thing?
    Last edited by MJ2004; 11-25-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Last time I went to a Barnes and Nobles there was an entire aisle dedicated to that genre (Teen vampire Romances), and just one shelf for Science. Kind of eye-opening. But please, just give me one tip. You (MJ) have provided me with some good ones in the past. I need some stuff to read and Amazon is only suggesting Self Help crap.
    Last edited by ponchi101; 11-26-2019 at 07:02 AM.
    Missing winter...

So, I have nothing to recommend that I've personally read. But I've heard very good things about Say Nothing and Midnight in Chernobyl, with the former supposedly being exceptional.

There is absolutely a large teen vampire romance section at the bookstore, blame Twilight's success. Vampire romance, and just paranormal romance in general, has been on a steady rise for about 15 years now.

A few suggestions:

The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard
    Frozen in Time: An Epic Story of Survival and a Modern Quest for Lost Heroes of World War II by Mitchell Zuckoff
    Alone on the Ice: The Greatest Survival Story in the History of Exploration by David Roberts
    My Happy Place

I haven't read it myself, but my husband just finished Human Compatible: Artificial Intelligence and the Problem of Control and he really liked it. He said it's almost a philosophy book, and is in part about how to design AI that won't kill us.

Hey gang. Thanks for the tips. One book ordered and the others are on the wish list.
    I knew I could count on you
    Missing winter...

Late to the party, but for future trips, I recommend:

Joseph Anton/Salman Rushdie
    A History of Future Cities/Daniel Brook
    Shrill/Lindy West
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Never too late. Two of those sound good, so on the wish list they go.
    Missing winter...

Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 833485455565758