Agree Agree:  7
Likes Likes:  18
Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst 123456789153055 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

Re: The Book Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I Googled "A Good Man Is Hard To Find" by Flannery O'Connor and lo and behold the entire short story came up. Read it before I went out this morning.
    Wow!
    Exactly.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

continuing the "short stories you can read online" tack ...

last night in TATchat, beaujarkko and I got to talking about The Lady Or The Tiger, and looking for its original source. BJ gets points for recalling the author's name, Frank Stockton.

I'd never heard of him, but have been enjoying his wordplay, and the next story in the 'book' I found on Google, called The Transferred Ghost. Reminds me just a bit of Roald Dahl, in the way it discusses supernatural phenomena in a veddy British way.

S

P.S. See, TATchat is not merely pop culture and smut!
    Just most of the time.

I read the Eudora Welty short "A Worn Path" on line last night as well.

Now I'm surfing the site JJ recommended.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

don't know if anyone else read today's NY Times (I did so, poolside on an 85 degree beautiful afternoon in New Orleans), but a good 2/3 of the front page of the entertainment section (and an additional full page inside) is devoted to Michael Chabon. Extremely rare to see an author get that kind of press. Couldn't happen to a better writer.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Wow, What a great thread!!!

I have written down many suggestions!!

I always have several books started and then go through them as my mood dictates. Currently I am reading, The Secret Life of Lobsters by Trevor Corson, which is a really fun and interesting read about the Homarus Americanus.

Storming Heaven by Jay Stevens, which I am finding truely amazing...about LSD and America in the 60's.

Black Lamb and Grey Falcon by Rebecca West. I love this statement "the country I have always seen between sleeping and waking," she is talking about Yugoslavia but I relate it to Africa in my dreams.

And on my bedside table The Wood Wife by Terry Windling.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    don't know if anyone else read today's NY Times (I did so, poolside on an 85 degree beautiful afternoon in New Orleans), but a good 2/3 of the front page of the entertainment section (and an additional full page inside) is devoted to Michael Chabon. Extremely rare to see an author get that kind of press. Couldn't happen to a better writer.
    I've put that Section aside to read at my leisure and make sure it doesn't get thrown out with the other newspapers.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

More free stuff courtesy of your's truly.

Like audio books? LibriVox has a nice catalog. You can typically download the text off of Gutenberg and the audio from Libri if you like to read along.
    http://librivox.org/

Have trouble making time to read? Why not read a section of a classic everyday, mailed right into your email box? Meet DailyLit:
    http://www.dailylit.com/index

jj
    Blue Steel

Blog Entries

I rarely read fantasy/sci-fi until a friend gave me A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. Then spent the next three weeks on that series. I've known Alan Dean Foster for almost thirty years, so I do read his sci-fi and for adventure, Into the Out Of was great.

I read all the time, fortunate enough to have a job that permits it. The TBR (to be read) stacks around here are overwhelming. I keep books in my truck, beside the bed, beside my chair and in both offices.

The Capote/Lee thing has always been fascinating and there are dozens of theories out there on them. Interesting that she never wrote another book, which is the main basis for the theory that he wrote it for her.

Surprised no one has mentioned A Confederacy of Dunces since I've read it twice, and The Stand, which I've read many times. Also loved The Bottoms by Joe Lansdale and am the first to admit, he's an acquired taste. Just finished The Ruins and really liked that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone-star View Post
    I rarely read fantasy/sci-fi until a friend gave me A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. Then spent the next three weeks on that series. I've known Alan Dean Foster for almost thirty years, so I do read his sci-fi and for adventure, Into the Out Of was great.

I read all the time, fortunate enough to have a job that permits it. The TBR (to be read) stacks around here are overwhelming. I keep books in my truck, beside the bed, beside my chair and in both offices.

The Capote/Lee thing has always been fascinating and there are dozens of theories out there on them. Interesting that she never wrote another book, which is the main basis for the theory that he wrote it for her.

Surprised no one has mentioned A Confederacy of Dunces since I've read it twice, and The Stand, which I've read many times. Also loved The Bottoms by Joe Lansdale and am the first to admit, he's an acquired taste. Just finished The Ruins and really liked that one.
    First of all, I know what you mean about the TBR pile! I actually do list them out and go in a constructed order.

And it's so funny you mention John Kennedy Toole, Lone-star. I was just telling the folks in TATchat two nights ago that A Confederacy of Dunces is the next book on my TBR list.

And I just bought a copy of The Ruins.

jj
    Blue Steel

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Bought The Kite Runner today.

Along with three other really random books from the $2 racks. Just feeding my TBR pile (ok, I actually have them on shelves, so not technically a pile)

I need to learn to control my addiction to buying books and borrow them from the library like everyone else. But I got spoiled in school, where we all got our own copies to own.

A Confederacy of Dunces in also on the TBR list (but not the shelves yet)

The Stand is arguably one of King's best. When I read it needless to say every day someone was sitting next me hacking and wheezing on the subway...

The oddball again...I'm not a big fan of fiction. There is enough of that in real life.

A Confederacy of Dunces is an absolutely wonderful book, with a heck of a backstory.

And, I used to read all Stephen King books. I did love the very creepy The Stand. I've skipped some of his latest- but I am currently reading his Lisey's Story.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Moose:
    An interview with Chabon about the new book.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    Bought The Kite Runner today.

Along with three other really random books from the $2 racks. Just feeding my TBR pile (ok, I actually have them on shelves, so not technically a pile)

I need to learn to control my addiction to buying books and borrow them from the library like everyone else. But I got spoiled in school, where we all got our own copies to own.

A Confederacy of Dunces in also on the TBR list (but not the shelves yet)
    I'm dangerous in bookshops too mmmm8!

Yesterday I finished "In Cold Blood" which I really liked,

now I have to decide between Nick Hornby "How to be Good" and John McGahern "That they May Face the Rising Sun".

Looking forward to both of them, but it's a holiday weekend over here (again lol) so Nick Hornby might be easier reading.

Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst 123456789153055 ... LastLast