Page 50 of 53 FirstFirst ... 25404647484950515253 LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

TATChat Moderator hurricanejeanne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: The Book Thread

I find it interesting that the fact that the Hunger Games are of that genre is what has kept me away from reading it. I'm breaking with tradition for the first time since I was a kid and seeing a film-based-on-a-book before actually reading the book. The movie will have to convince me to read it, even though all my friends who've read it, love it.

I think I'm still traumatized by my painful experience with Brave New World and 1984 back in high school.

On a side note, of those modern novels, the one I'd read is Delirium and my sister is a huge fan of the Uglies series.
    There's a room where the light won't find you
    Holding hands while the walls come tumbling down
    When they do
    I'll be right behind you

I think you'd like The Hunger Games, Jean. Katniss is pretty awesome.

TATChat Moderator hurricanejeanne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie181 View Post
    I think you'd like The Hunger Games, Jean. Katniss is pretty awesome.
    I'm going to read the books now, thanks to the movie delivering very good character development and plot line that overshadows the underlying things that bother me about the genre.
    But there's just something about distopian novels that bothers me. So far all I can attribute it to is the whole fact that they take place in the future but society has collapsed so far that the differences in classes is so vast it out does the eras of the past in combination with the higher society dehumanizing the lower class in a way that is just unnerving.
    There's a room where the light won't find you
    Holding hands while the walls come tumbling down
    When they do
    I'll be right behind you

You watched the movie?
    I have some gripes about the movie, mainly concerning how they rushed everything between Rue and Katniss.

Vulture, which is New York Magazine's all-things-culturally-entertaining website, has ranked all 62 of Stephen King's books. Have to admit I have only read about 8-10 of his works, but from what I've read, and what I know about what I haven't read, seems like a pretty good list:

http://www.vulture.com/2012/04/ranki...ing-books.html
    Ssshh. Don't tell PEHK I am cheating on him with Dominic Thiem!

After Michael Chabon, I think my favorite author is John Irving. And "A Prayer For Owen Meany" is my all time favorite novel. So I'm really glad to see some excellent reviews for Irvings new book, "In One Person".

He was on CBS's new morning show this morning, talking about sexual identity (the narrator of the tale is a bisexual man, and a leading character is a transgendered librarian). Said it is a topic he's been eager to revisit because he does not see things getting better since the days when he wrote "Garp" and "The Hotel New Hampshire". He also tackles AIDS head on.

I feel like hes a writer I have grown older with, as I read "Garp" back when I was in college, and I've remained a huge fan ever since.

Thanks to Amazon pre-order, I expect my copy to be sitting at my front door when I arrive home this evening, and look forward to diving right in.
    Last edited by Moose; 05-08-2012 at 08:27 AM.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    After Michael Chabon, I think my favorite author is John Irving. And "A Prayer For Owen Meany" is my all time favorite novel. So I'm really glad to see some excellent reviews for Irvings new book, "In One Person".

He was on CBS's new morning show this morning, talking about sexual identity (the narrator of the tale is a bisexual man, and a leading character is a transgendered librarian). Said it is a topic he's been eager to revisit because he does not see things getting better since the days when he wrote "Garp" and "The Hotel New Hampshire". He also tackles AIDS head on.

I feel like hes a writer I have grown older with, as I read "Garp" back when I was in college, and I've remained a huge fan ever since.

Thanks to Amazon pre-order, I expect my copy to be sitting at my front door when I arrive home this evening, and look forward to diving right in.
    Sold! I've actually never read a John Irving novel to my everlasting shame. What's a good one to start with (I might end up starting with this one, actually)?
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    Sold! I've actually never read a John Irving novel to my everlasting shame. What's a good one to start with (I might end up starting with this one, actually)?
    I think "A Prayer For Owen Meany" is not only his best work, but one of the great pieces of late 20th century fiction. Having said that, there is a heavy religious undertone to the tale.

"The World According To Garp" is probably a better introduction, laugh out loud funny, with some tragic events, and wonderful characters (I don't know if I loved Jenny Fields or Roberta Muldoon more, but I can't imagine anyone not falling in love with both of them).

"The Cider House Rules" is also fantastic, as is "The Hotel New Hampshire", but I would read "Meany" or "Garp" first.

Inactive, & loving Jesus
    Awards Showcase

Space Invaders Champion, Ms.pacman New Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Disco Bowling Champion, Pacman Champion, Pool Jam - 5 Minute Game Champion, Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion, Ultimate Jewel Champion JTContinental's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My two favorites are Hotel New Hampshire and Cider House Rules. All of his books have weird sex things going on in them, though, which can be offputting, so Moose is probably right that Garp or Owen Meany are good ones to start with, since they are relatively tame compared to other ones. A Widow for One Year is also a good one.
    Welcome to my crazy game of fetch.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    My two favorites are Hotel New Hampshire and Cider House Rules. All of his books have weird sex things going on in them, though, which can be offputting, so Moose is probably right that Garp or Owen Meany are good ones to start with, since they are relatively tame compared to other ones. A Widow for One Year is also a good one.
    weird...sex...things?
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

weird...sex...things?
    You'll never be comfortable having sex in the driveway again after reading "Garp".

Inactive, & loving Jesus
    Awards Showcase

Space Invaders Champion, Ms.pacman New Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Disco Bowling Champion, Pacman Champion, Pool Jam - 5 Minute Game Champion, Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion, Ultimate Jewel Champion JTContinental's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You'll never be comfortable having sex in the driveway again after reading "Garp".
    or look at a bear costume the same way again after reading Hotel New Hampshire
    Welcome to my crazy game of fetch.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    or look at a bear costume the same way again after reading Hotel New Hampshire
    Great plot line.

Though he often deals in tragedy, I think "Hotel New Hampshire" probably has more per page than any of his other books, which makes the ending so satisfying.

And, of course, Sorrow floats.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

What kind of life do you think I lead?

Where am I?
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Just finished Erik Larson's "Devil in the White City", about the Chicago World's Fair at the end of the 19th century. It's part the story of the fair (focusing on the main architect Daniel Burnham), part the story of Chicago in that era, and part the story of one very smooth serial killer.

Fascinating stuff, especially the parts on the art and architecture (Frederick Law Olmsted, he of Central Park, features prominently at points) and development of the fair. The serial killer stuff, though intriguing and a very interesting juxtaposition, was the least interesting for me, but overall it was a terrific read.
    Glad you're back

Page 50 of 53 FirstFirst ... 25404647484950515253 LastLast