Likes Likes:  18
Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst 12345678142954 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Re: The Book Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jjnow View Post
    Say what? I have never heard this theory. Were Capote and Lee even close friends?

Christopher Marlowe (Louche's friend) is the real "Shakespeare," anyone?

jj
    Yeah, they were very close, she came with him on some of his trips to the place setting

I've had to read Marlowe's Dr. Faustus and he ain't no Shakespeare.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Say what? I have never heard this theory. Were Capote and Lee even close friends?

jj
    Dill in "TKAM" is Capote, JJ. They were friends since childhood. Harper is Idabel in Capote's "Other Voices Other Rooms".

And, in order to be complete, it has also been suggested for years that Capote wrote/co-wrote TKAM.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

They did make "Mists of Avalon" into a TV movie which I was afraid to watch and have never seen. I didn't want them to ruin the magic of the book.

I'm surprised that in this age of Harry Potter no one has taken on Zimmer Bradley's "Darkover" series. The story of an earth colony living on a faraway planet where some have developed psychic/magical abilities while others stay strictly in the "science is god mode" and how the "psychics" can actually wage war against the men and women of science using their own "science" is a fascinating read.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Nelslus:

It's been suggested on more than one occasion that the actual writer of "In Cold Blood" was not Truman, but Harper Lee.

If you're a fan of "Purple", I hope you have also read "The Temple Of My Familiar" and "Possessing The Secret Of Joy". When Alice Walker puts her heart in it, she is one of our greatest living writers of fiction. And I'd call "Possessing" "Purple's" equal in terms of fantastic reading material.
    Temple is my all-time favorite of her books.

I'm usually a little afraid of fantasy reads, Ti. Often the writer creates an entirely new world that's always somewhat difficult for me to wrap my mind around. I read Frank Herbert's Dune and thought that it was excellent, but other than that I haven't attempted the genre much.

But I think I may take up your recommendation and look for a copy of Mists of Avalon up for trade on PBS.

Fascinating stuff re: Capote and Lee, BTW.

jj
    Blue Steel

I didn't like "Dune" at all. "Lord of the Rings" was the best cure for insomnia I've ever read. I just could never get into that series.

The stuff about Harper Lee and Truman Capote is indeed fascinating. Maybe after enough time has passed someone will delve into their relationship. It had to be close because writers for the most part don't let other's into the world of their mind.

And thanks for explaining that Morrison wrote the plot backwards in "Paradise". Maybe now I can make it through more than ten pages of it.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

For those of you who like fantasy/Science fiction I can suggest Roger Zelazny's "Chronicles of Amber". I liked it better than "Dune"...

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    For those of you who like fantasy/Science fiction I can suggest Roger Zelazny's "Chronicles of Amber". I liked it better than "Dune"...

Keeping in the fantasy mode, has anyone ever read Stephen Donaldson's "The Chronicles of Thomas Convenant"? It's the first fantasy book/series I read, many years ago, but I reread it recently and it was good as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by morct View Post
    Keeping in the fantasy mode, has anyone ever read Stephen Donaldson's "The Chronicles of Thomas Convenant"? It's the first fantasy book/series I read, many years ago, but I reread it recently and it was good as ever.
    I've never heard of it, morct. I think it's interesting that most fantasy books turn into a series.

I just got back from the library where I couldn't resist buying one of the $3 used books they had for sale. The Ruins by Scott Smith. I read the inside jacket; it sounds like a horror novel a la Stephen King.

jj
    Blue Steel

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I've never heard of it, morct. I think it's interesting that most fantasy books turn into a series.

I just got back from the library where I couldn't resist buying one of the $3 used books they had for sale. The Ruins by Scott Smith. I read the inside jacket; it sounds like a horror novel a la Stephen King.

jj
    I think you'd enjoy it JJ. The good vs evil isn't as clearly defined as in most fantasy stuff. And the main character doesn't believe in the fantasy world for a lot of the time he is there, which adds a major twist to the story.

It's really good.

The original series was written in 1996 but in 2004 Donaldson wrote a sequel, so the series is still ongoing.

The Ruins by Scott Smith. I read the inside jacket; it sounds like a horror novel a la Stephen King.
    Speaking of Stephen King - has anyone read "The Dark Tower"? I have it on my computer and have read about 2/3 at this point....

I Googled "A Good Man Is Hard To Find" by Flannery O'Connor and lo and behold the entire short story came up. Read it before I went out this morning.
    Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    They did make "Mists of Avalon" into a TV movie which I was afraid to watch and have never seen. I didn't want them to ruin the magic of the book.

I'm surprised that in this age of Harry Potter no one has taken on Zimmer Bradley's "Darkover" series. The story of an earth colony living on a faraway planet where some have developed psychic/magical abilities while others stay strictly in the "science is god mode" and how the "psychics" can actually wage war against the men and women of science using their own "science" is a fascinating read.
    My step mom has read the books and watched the movie, and she said the movie was really good.

I'd watch it.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I didn't like "Dune" at all. "Lord of the Rings" was the best cure for insomnia I've ever read. I just could never get into that series.

The stuff about Harper Lee and Truman Capote is indeed fascinating. Maybe after enough time has passed someone will delve into their relationship. It had to be close because writers for the most part don't let other's into the world of their mind.

And thanks for explaining that Morrison wrote the plot backwards in "Paradise". Maybe now I can make it through more than ten pages of it.

I feel the same about Tolkien, Ti. Didn't even try LoR. Couldn't get through more than 40 pages of The Hobbit as a kid.

Both of the In Cold Blood/Capote movies (Capote and Infamous) were very good and dealt a bit with the Lee/Capote relationship

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Speaking of Stephen King - has anyone read "The Dark Tower"? I have it on my computer and have read about 2/3 at this point....
    Never read it, suliso. The only Stephen King I've read is 'Salem's Lot and two short story collections -- Night Shift and Different Seasons.

BTW, Ti reminded me about about a site with a good collection of free books for download:

http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/scores/top

jj
    Blue Steel

Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst 12345678142954 ... LastLast